How to deal with lecturers that cannot accept that they are wrong? (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Sorry son, that is not how it works.

If there is a problem with a question it should be either be removed from the test (not count towards the mark) or everyone should be given to the mark.

You don't just give everyone a guess and hope that probability will make everything fair. That's crap.
Son, the question may have been removed for all you know. Marking schemes are often not revealed for a good reason.

If you are on 84 at the end of the semester in all likelihood you will be bumped up to 85 anyway.

HSC
N/A
Son, the question may have been removed for all you know. Marking schemes are often not revealed for a good reason.

If you are on 84 at the end of the semester in all likelihood you will be bumped up to 85 anyway.
It definately wasn't removed. The quiz had 45 questions and on blackboard they show a mark out of 45.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It definately wasn't removed. The quiz had 45 questions and on blackboard they show a mark out of 45.
It is not hard to add + 1 to the final grade formula. Just because it says it is out of 45 still means nothing.

If you are still not happy arrange an appointment with the lecturer during his consultation hours and go talk to him in person about it.

HSC
N/A
It is not hard to add + 1 to the final grade formula. Just because it says it is out of 45 still means nothing.

If you are still not happy arrange an appointment with the lecturer during his consultation hours and go talk to him in person about it.
Nah, I am not going into university just to talk to him. Especially considering he started to be a smartass after the second email I sent him. If I am going to do anything I will email the lecturer in charge (and ask specifically for a response from him because the guy that set the quiz is being a hardass and he is never going to budge and admit he is wrong). At heart he knows he is wrong and barely has a leg to stand on, it's just that he doesn't want to write it in an email because it means he is admitting that he is wrong.

qwerty44

HSC
Nah, I am not going into university just to talk to him. Especially considering he started to be a smartass after the second email I sent him. If I am going to do anything I will email the lecturer in charge (and ask specifically for a response from him because the guy that set the quiz is being a hardass and he is never going to budge and admit he is wrong). At heart he knows he is wrong and barely has a leg to stand on, it's just that he doesn't want to write it in an email because it means he is admitting that he is wrong.
Your going through a lot of trouble to make someone admit they are wrong and get a mark or two. If you know the truth that he is wrong, who cares about him or the mark. By trying to make him admit he is wrong makes you look very arrogant.

williamwu123

HSC
Sorry son, that is not how it works.

If there is a problem with a question it should be either be removed from the test (not count towards the mark) or everyone should be given to the mark.

You don't just give everyone a guess and hope that probability will make everything fair. That's crap.
OP, you need to grow the hell up and learn that life isn't always black and white. You're the one being a "smartass" and a "hardass". Let me emphasize - they are the lecturers and they have the power to set whatever sort of exam they want. Arguing otherwise is pointless because you're not the lecturer. Don't like it? Drop out or become a lecturer yourself so that you can set your "fair" exams. No one is forcing you to go to uni.

That said, have you ever thought of taking a psychological exam?

HSC
N/A
OP, you need to grow the hell up and learn that life isn't always black and white. You're the one being a "smartass" and a "hardass". Let me emphasize - they are the lecturers and they have the power to set whatever sort of exam they want. Arguing otherwise is pointless because you're not the lecturer. Don't like it? Drop out or become a lecturer yourself so that you can set your "fair" exams. No one is forcing you to go to uni.

That said, have you ever thought of taking a psychological exam?
Ok rich kid. "Don't like it? Too Bad". What a great message to send out to people. I guess you are the sort of spineless business man that would exploit workers in disadvantaged countries and pay them 5c /day. You obviously have no morals or ethics you scum.

Last edited:

williamwu123

HSC
Ok rich kid. "Don't like it? Too Bad". What a great message to send out to people. I guess you are the sort of spineless business man that would exploit workers in disadvantaged countries and pay them 5c /day. You obviously have no morals or ethics you scum.
Rich kid? No morals or ethics? Whatever in the world would make you think that?

HSC
N/A
Rich kid? No morals or ethics? Whatever in the world would make you think that?
It seems like you would fit the profile of a dictator. "Don't argue with me..... Don't you dare question the lecturer.... etc"

Also your profile says you went to Sydney Grammar. Seems like a rich kid to me.

williamwu123

HSC
It seems like you would fit the profile of a dictator. "Don't argue with me..... Don't you dare question the lecturer.... etc"

Also your profile says you went to Sydney Grammar. Seems like a rich kid to me.
Actually, I went to Grammar on a full academic scholarship. I'm not a rich kid - I lived year 12 in a refuge for homeless teenagers. So I think I would have an idea on just how unfair the world can be.

As for the profile of a dictator, well, on the contrary, I run a charity for homeless teenagers.

My point is not that you can't have freedom of speech, but rather the scope of that which you are arguing is frankly short-sighted and narrow. Have a little bit of perspective. Most people in Sydney have much worse problems than yours, but I don't hear them incessantly complaining about them.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Seriously guys, this is getting out of control.

Stop the insults

Keep on topic

Failure to abide by these two points will result in infractions.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Please, go ahead.

You aren't even doing commerce. I hardly see how you can consider yourself to an authority on the matter.
The midwifery thing is just a joke, there is no such combination at unsw. I did fins1612 and got a HD for that subject.

The most obvious reason is that they actually put the company tax rate in the question, a reasonable person would infer that, given the question, the profit would be pre-tax, otherwise why would they give you the tax rate? There is no such thing as absolutely definitive question, otherwise you might as well claim that the question fail to inform you whether earth was invaded by aliens during the particular financial year, hence rendering the payment of tax irrelevant.

The second reason is the one your lecturer told you - based on tutorial questions and class exercises, you should be able to infer that a question of this kind would provide a pre-tax figure. A person who makes this mistake probably either don't do their homework or don't go to class. If a significant number of other students made the same mistake as you, then it's another matter.

Lastly and this is probably what you are trying to argue against - companies are 'taxed' on 'profit'. The thing subject to taxation is 'profit'. Company X makes a profit, and this profit is subject to taxation. Profit making precedes the act of taxing. How then can you assume that profit is post-tax? If this was a 'loss' and not a 'profit', would you also assume the loss is post-tax? That wouldn't make sense because losses are not taxed, right? So unless it explicitly says 'after tax' profit, then it would only be natural to assume the profit is pre-tax.

HSC
N/A
The most obvious reason is that they actually put the company tax rate in the question, a reasonable person would infer that, given the question, the profit would be pre-tax, otherwise why would they give you the tax rate?
Uhh.. I don't know. To calculate the franking credit maybe??

The second reason is the one your lecturer told you - based on tutorial questions and class exercises, you should be able to infer that a question of this kind would provide a pre-tax figure. A person who makes this mistake probably either don't do their homework or don't go to class. If a significant number of other students made the same mistake as you, then it's another matter.
I went to the lectures and tutorials. By the lecturer saying "It was how it was done in the textbook example" is just complete rubbish. All that does is encourages rote learning and blind memorisation. Why do I get penalised because I was only one that actually taught about the question? In the textbook it was explicit that it was before tax, it wasn't in the quiz.

Lastly and this is probably what you are trying to argue against - companies are 'taxed' on 'profit'. The thing subject to taxation is 'profit'. Company X makes a profit, and this profit is subject to taxation. Profit making precedes the act of taxing. How then can you assume that profit is post-tax? If this was a 'loss' and not a 'profit', would you also assume the loss is post-tax? That wouldn't make sense because losses are not taxed, right? So unless it explicitly says 'after tax' profit, then it would only be natural to assume the profit is pre-tax.
I can see how you might have a point here. Nevertheless, the question specifically said that "all profits are paid to shareholders as dividends". Since dividends come out of after tax profit, wouldn't you infer that the "profit" figure given is after tax? If it is all going to shareholders, it must have been taxed already.

I did fins1612 and got a HD for that subject.
I am going to get HD for it as well. I am on something like 51/55 so far with the final worth the remaining 45%. Still, I don't want to get 94 for the subject when I could of got 95 if not for some stubborn lecturer.

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Meh...I did my best. I can go on but I cbb. I understand that you are very bitter right now but just know that you won't even remember this saga in a few weeks time. If you do, then you need to revise the way you approach life.

HSC
N/A
Meh...I did my best. I can go on but I cbb. I understand that you are very bitter right now but just know that you won't even remember this saga in a few weeks time. If you do, then you need to revise the way you approach life.
I won't remember it after the stress of the finals. But I guess I will just have to mentally increase my grade by one when they release the results.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I won't remember it after the stress of the finals. But I guess I will just have to mentally increase my grade by one when they release the results.
Alternatively since you are so competent with the subject, you could simply try harder and get 100% in your finals and get 97+ instead.

Surely somebody of your calibre (well, enough to be in dispute with the lecturer) would be getting close (if not) 100% and 95+, with or without that mark, should be a piece of cake for you.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
0.04 marks WAM loss assuming you're doing a 3 years degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)