how to compete against... (1 Viewer)

boke

HSC
people doing continuers/extension who speak japanese fluently at home? is it possible?? what about ppl who've already done (and passed) their JLPT certificate 1?? or people who've lived in japan on exchange for a year?

i've never even been to japan before so i feel a bit out of my league here (X___X);;;

super-shinobi

HSC
I dont know... But I dont think its possible for Japanese students to undertake Japanese Continuers or Extension as it is unfair. I know this girl that is only half Japanese but she isnt studying it because I dont think she'll be allowed anyway.

I know for Chinese Cont/Ext they are becoming stricter as well and not many Chinese will be able to study it. Even people who speak a different dialect of Chinese and not Mandarin arent being allowed.

BUT if you really want to do well, I guess you got to think about achieving good results for yourself. Don't worry too much about other people. You should focus more on how to improve. Its true that a year's exchange in Japan will really help students speak fluently however I don't think many have gone on a years worth as they would miss out on ALOT of work.

Do you know anyone thats gone on a year? Thats pretty crazy since they're missing out on a years worth of work for all their subjects. I think the best time to go on an exchange is after the HSC

Raikiri

HSC
Iruka said:
If you recieve formal education in Japan for more than a few months (not exactly sure how long, but there is a limit) you are then classified as a background speaker and have to do a different course. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As super-shinobi says, just concentrate on learning if for your own sake.

Something is telling me it's if you've lived there for a year. I think...

wenruoshi

HSC
basically if they speak japanese fluently at home like you are concerned, they wouldn't do Jap cont/ext....they do background speakers...
don't worry about those who have been to exchange becasue sometimes they speak fluent jap but they've got crap grammar....
just work hard and learn all the kanji, grammar, vocab, practice speaking and you'll nail it!

Xunlyn

Flippant Pancakes
HSC
I'm doing beginners but secretly studying the continuers course (shhhh) because I'm the only beginner at my school, and we have a few continuers. So thats my edge. And I'm not Japanese, but I've been to Japan for a bit. It really does help.
In our continuers class, we have a girl from China who has it fairly easy because kanji is similar so she doesnt study. Well, she didnt study untill we started beating her. So, it is possible to do quite well if you set your mind to it. Just do like vocab and stuff. Randomly pick like three words/kanji a day, and set your mind to learning them. Repeat them ad nauseum untill all the people around you who dont speak Japanese are thougroughly annoyed with you. Its the best way to do it ^_^

sifnotme

HSC
Awww you guys are lucky, people in Victoria have a rule where if have been in the country in which the language is spoken for for more than 5 years i think it was you have to do first language. But you see people who are half Japanese or who are just on that border who are full japanese can actually do the second language course which is really :cold: since more hard competition they always seem to be at the top somewhere and there is always a japanese person who gets full marks for the exam

shinelover

HSC
as far as i know...anyone who speaks japanese fluently @ home can't do the continuers course...also if they have studied/lived in japan for....a reasonable amount of time (few yrs?) they have to do background...

we all had to sign this document..listing all the times and duration of trips to japan...what language we speak at home...how long we've studied japanese etc....

X

xeuyrawp

shinelover said:
as far as i know...anyone who speaks japanese fluently @ home can't do the continuers course..
People who are fluent can do the Continuer's course, however they shouldn't. Big difference.

It happens all the time across all languages, in my experience, you just need to get over it and move on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)