How to calculate inflation? (1 Viewer)

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
An economy has three goods, cars, computer and oranges. Prices and quantity produced are shown in the picture below. How can I calculate the inflation and eliminate the effect of changes in quantity?

Attachments

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
First calculate the unit price of each product for each year. Then add them up for each year so you have 1 value for each year. Then compare the eachs years value to each other [ie: (year2/year 1) * 100.]

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
You have to use GDP deflator to calculate the inflation.

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
Apparently according to Blanchard's Macroeconomics, you're suppose to take the average price of the two years to calculate the deflator, because you you could have chosen 2012 to be your base year instead of 2011, and you'd get a different inflation, and choosing one base year over another doesn't make it more correct or incorrect.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Apparently according to Blanchard's Macroeconomics, you're suppose to take the average price of the two years to calculate the deflator, because you you could have chosen 2012 to be your base year instead of 2011, and you'd get a different inflation, and choosing one base year over another doesn't make it more correct or incorrect.

But only 2 years were given, so I didn't really get the point of taking the avg. of the two years, rather than using 2011 as the base.

However, the inflation percentage was the same o_O

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
Not the same, but very close.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)