How to actually WRITE a speech effectively (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Hi guys. When I've searched BOS and other websites for advice on oral presentations (I have one coming up for Hamlet), most of the information seems to be geared toward actual presentation (i.e. eye contact, volume and tone). Though I understand the importance of this, it's not my main concern and it is usually only out of 5 whereas the content is marked out of 15.

In terms of writing the actual speech, what are some do's and don'ts? I don't want to load it up with rhetorical questions, cringey jokes and too many analogies (I'm comfortable with 1 or 2), but I also don't want my speech to just be an essay being read.

Tips anyone?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
To differentiate your speech from an essay, try adding inclusive language like "we" and "our" etc. make your sentences short. You also may want to repeat defining statements here and there just in case the marker forgets what you said (only if you have enough words though, orals are often very short). Also try and sound extremely passionate and it will lift your content by a lot.

iStudent

HSC
I wrote my speech as an essay (topic sentence etc) except with a different intro and ending statement. probably not the best advice around but I did get a decent mark (13/15) doing that :/

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Have a look at my guide if you haven't yet:) http://community.boredofstudies.org/4/english/318818/how-ace-oral-presentations.html

Essentially, there are many dos and don'ts of oral presentation, but the top tip I can give you to maximise your marks is to cater your speech to your audience and markers, adhere to the points on the marking criteria and answer the question and nothing but the question:) You don't, and often, shouldn't load an English essay with jokes, it is really about putting an engaging introduction and conclusion and the body is often essentially the same as an essay. Don't be too informal but don't be too formal at the same time:)

duckysd

HSC
I don't understand why students are tested on their presentation... English strikes again.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't understand why students are tested on their presentation... English strikes again.
Because English is a course designed to teach effective communication which is something you'll need to do well in any career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)