• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How they teach medicine (1 Viewer)

Honky

HSC
N/A
Hi there

I've been interested in doing medicine for ages and i'm in year 12 this year.
I have done a bit of research on what uni's i could consider (provided i get the marks/umat) for my UAC (im from nsw btw) choices
One of my cousins is in med at newcastle and she said its important to choose the right uni in terms of teaching style

so i was just hoping for a shout out from anyone who's currently doing or finished medicine
mostly nsw universities, but interstate options would also be appreciated

could you describe how they teach the med course at your uni?

is there emphasis on group/individual learning or projects
assessment types (exams, speeches, tutorials)
heaps of lectures/pract sessions or studying from text books
rout/conceptual teaching

just thought that how they teach med (whether it fits with my learning style) should influence my preferences

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
A brief, content-light post:

The UNSW assessment system is rubbish:
- Ambiguous/inconsistent marking
- An awkward 'capabilities system'
- Exams which are far too short, often featuring specific (versus conceptual) questions, making it partly a game of luck
- Specific assessments, not to be named, which are devoid of construct validity

We are blessed with lots (4 hrs / week) of small (12 student) tutorials in Phase 1 (years 1 & 2) which can be very useful if you have a good tutor and your group aims to make the most of the experience. I have found the phase 2 (3rd year) coursework to be very enjoyable - it has a very nice mix of clinical and didactic content (3 days and 2 days, respecively).

Once you get to 3rd year and beyond most of the learning is up to you. 'Go forth and learn medicine...', so goes self-directed learning.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
A brief, content-light post:

The UNSW assessment system is rubbish:
- Ambiguous/inconsistent marking
- An awkward 'capabilities system'
- Exams which are far too short, often featuring specific (versus conceptual) questions, making it partly a game of luck
- Specific assessments, not to be named, which are devoid of construct validity

We are blessed with lots (4 hrs / week) of small (12 student) tutorials in Phase 1 (years 1 & 2) which can be very useful if you have a good tutor and your group aims to make the most of the experience. I have found the phase 2 (3rd year) coursework to be very enjoyable - it has a very nice mix of clinical and didactic content (3 days and 2 days, respecively).

Once you get to 3rd year and beyond most of the learning is up to you. 'Go forth and learn medicine...', so goes self-directed learning.
you are not the only uni blessed with this curse of an inconsistent marking guidelines for certain subjects

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
No doubt, though the worst aspects of our assessment system are somewhat more unique (I am lead to believe).

lionking1191

HSC
google PBL - most unis have it (UNSW is a notable exception)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)