How should you use the syllabus (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Hey I'm moving in to the senior years next year and I am getting confused as to how you should use a syllabus to maximise your study and ensure you cover all course outcomes. In junior years i never really used any syllabus by BOS and carried on as class teachers told us to and managed to obtain consistent 80s, and 90s. But now i need to know how to use a syllabus to study effectively and i also need an outline/summary of all the prelimanry outcomes studied in yr 11 HSC courses. If a previous thread similar to mine has been posted on BOS can someone please post it, I can't find it :(.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
English adv
Math 2u
Engineering
Physics
Ipt
Business Studies

gwilymprice

HSC
Physics syllabus is pretty straight forward, go through the individual dot points and right a small summary on each. I did this in an exercise book so I had my syllabus summary all in one place, in the early stages of year 12 I would go through and read the notes I had made once a week, then started reading them everyday. By doing all the dot points you can ensure you will know everything that they can ask, science syllabus' are fantastic in my opinion. With engineering, the syllabus is pretty broad so it is a lot harder the cover everything, you can still take a similar approach to summarising it, but I suggest doing much wider reading especially in materials! General knowledge and wide reading is key to engineering studies success
Good luck :)

For maths I made a formula and procedures book, just a little one which I could read in free time, like on my way to school on the bus or whatever then I could put it in my pocket! I can't help with the other subjects as I didn't do them, but with English, it is not really a syllabus style summary you need, just points on each of your texts that are relevant to the rubric which can be accessed on board of studies

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
ok can you give me an example for a dot point from the physics syllabus:

- describes waves as a transfer of energy disturbance that may occur in one, two or three dimensions, depending on the nature of the wave and the medium.

what do i do about this dot point?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
How about a HSC dot point: Account for the orbital decay of satellites in low Earth orbit

in this dot point (and pretty much all of them), you have to be able to .
  • define orbital decay
  • what causes it (friction in the atmosphere)
  • what results because of orbital decay (satellite looses GPE and gains KE)
  • nice statement at the end (therefore the satellite burns and sprials into the earth)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
ok can you give me an example for a dot point from the physics syllabus:

- describes waves as a transfer of energy disturbance that may occur in one, two or three dimensions, depending on the nature of the wave and the medium.

what do i do about this dot point?
You'll want to "answer" each dot point like a HSC question, so you want to define/explain key terms and provide examples. In this case, you want to define what a wave is (a travelling disturbance that carries energy, not matter) and list examples of waves travelling through 1D (slinky), 2D (water waves) and 3D (EM waves through space) spaces. Diagrams would also be good, just so its easier to visualise.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
thanks, so do you do that for each dot point

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
so for the physics syllabus how many pages of dot point work did you have? And how do you remember formulas, any tips?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
so for the physics syllabus how many pages of dot point work did you have? And how do you remember formulas, any tips?
The number of pages of dot points is not fixed-it is dependent on how you organise your notes. However, you don't really need to remember formulas-because they will be given on a formula sheet in the exam, however, you need to learn how to apply the formula-which the only way to do that, like other maths formulas-is through practising question after question and checking your answer and working out with the book or a qualified individual:) Best wishes for next two years:)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
May sound ridiculous, but I would advise purchasing a physics excel book by Neville Warren. Leave no example question in the whole book unanswered and work through all the multiple choice and short answers (taking care to read the answers at the back).

Inevitably, a great deal of marks come down to being able to write 'regurgitated answers' rather than actual calculations and then again, the calculations become repetitive and easy once you've done enough. Do not do ANY work your teacher gives you (this is just my opinion) in class unless they have solutions.

And one last thing which is a bit early but good practise if you're super keen - try to find as many prelim past papers as you can (i may be able to assist you if you pm me) and print em off and do them and upon completion, politely ask your teacher to mark them for you! This will improve your short answers in the long term, i assure you. :)

KitchenSinky

HSC
English adv
Math 2u
Engineering
Physics
Ipt
Business Studies
But it says here that you've already finished your HSC in 2006 and graduated Uni in 2010 with a 95.00 in B.Sc (Adv.) at UNSW? What the fuck mate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)