How serious is it to fail a subject? (1 Viewer)

AE86

HSC
It's something i should have really tried to find out ages ago. It's until now i want to know the seriousness of failing a subject.

I've tried to look up about it but couldn't find any specific info about the consequences of failing a course. I know it will affect me dearly if i wanted to transfer to another course but i know i won't be.

As far as i know, a fail will appear in some record which i'm not too sure about and i have heard people emphasise how harmful it can be against you. It sounded as if it would be the end of world but i guess that would be exaggerating. Of course, i know failing a subject will definitely mean i need to repeat it but what's more behind a fail?

I really want to know, so i can prepare for the worst.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Pretty much a repeat, and you'll have to pay for the subject again.

Other than that, it could make you fall behind your cohort. Eg, if the course you failed is a pre-req for some other course you must do next session, then you cannot do that subject and you would be behind the rest of your class.

Worst still, if you can't repeat that subject until S1 next year, it could put you a whole year behind your class, meaning you will graduate later.

Some classes may be done in summer session to let you catch up, or you might be able to overload to catch up.

GaZ_2004

HSC
i heard that if you fail a subject more than twice u get kicked out of uni, dunno
but if u fail it goes on ur degree...

gman03

HSC
As mentioned in the link provided by sunny, if you fail a subject then your academic standing will change, like the terriost alarm CNN showed years ago. If you keep failling subjects (regardless of whether it is the same subject or not) the uni will suspend you or even kick you out. ON top of that you will have to stay back and repeat courses.

And in the worst case say you got 0 (FL) in the first go and 100 (HD) in the second go, your academic statement will only show youir first mark, which is 0 (FL). For certain degrees (like engineering) your final grade will be calculated from the marks in your academic record and things become ugly if you fail some subjects.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Well I've seen someone who failed accounting twice, and the accounting lecturer didnt seem to hesitate pointing that out in front of the tute ("Hey! I've seen you before" or something along that line) :p

with that said, try the hardest not to fail, because passing now and not failing would mean much less work than failing and passing later anyways.

But, if you fail, I guess don't suicide ;)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
ok now another question...how easy is it to fail a subject? :p
It's so easy to let yourself slip... but the nightmares from last year's final study (14 weeks of tute work in two days) have taught me a great lesson. NEVER AGAIN.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Good luck everyone!

Next up: Biochemistry (Advanced) Friday >.<

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
if you fail a subject in 1st year, but get pretty good results (ie credits) for the rest of your degree, is it still possible to do honours ?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
some honours streams start in 2nd yr so without that, you cant really progress to other honours subject sin later years

well, in some subjects at usyd anyway lol

GaZ_2004

HSC
ne one noe how comp sci marks are added up 4 honors?!?

For B Psych i heard 1st yr doesn't count towards ur honors and for comp eng i heard 1st year has a weightin of one n 2nd year has a weighting of two and so on...

so can ne 1 tell me..

thanks in advance

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
dudes

does 4% mean the same as 44%? i mean if you fail, its a fail right? doesnt matter by how much you fail?

also, i read the link sunny gave but i dont get it.

does that mean that if i fail all 3 of my subjects this semester, i go to 'probation 2'? or straight to suspension?

can anyone please confirm this for me?

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
0o0 said:
dudes

does 4% mean the same as 44%? i mean if you fail, its a fail right? doesnt matter by how much you fail?

also, i read the link sunny gave but i dont get it.

does that mean that if i fail all 3 of my subjects this semester, i go to 'probation 2'? or straight to suspension?

can anyone please confirm this for me?
I have a friend who failed 2/4 and was put on probation. Dunno if that helps?

When you say 44% perhaps not, but a 4% and a >46% fail could squeeze you in a pass if you beg & plead to the lecturer in charge.

sunny

meh.
HSC
0o0 said:
No, you can get a "pass conceded" - where you were close to a pass, and your other marks are relatively good.
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/Grades.html#Heading4
Down the bottom, "concession algorithm"

0o0 said:
Read the tables.
Credits attempted: More than 6
Units of Credit passed: Some, but less than half
Usual effect on Academic Standing: Moves one category down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)