• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how serious are they on the fail if no pass final policy (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I'm gonna have to rely on the Pass Conceeded for Accounting 2B which I think I may have failed (its a 'pass final to pass course which sux cos I'm on 73% before the final exam)

My cumulative WAM is 77.042, so I meet the requirements

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
saves.the.day said:
Hi Nancy. I actually have my lab demonstrator on my msn and I asked her about how this works for you and she told me that in our chem course, if you fail within 45-49 they (Dr. Duffy and Dr. Roberts) will firstly look at 3 things to determine if you deserve pass conceded:
1. Your tutorial attendance record
2. Your Lab attendance
3. My demonstrator also said that all lab demonstrators have to write a few sentences about each student i.e. how they work in labs, they're progress, the overall quality about the labwork etc etc

So Dr Roberts mainly (1st year co-ordinator) looks at these factors to determine if you deserve to get PC.

Good Luck. You'll be fine.
Wow Lester! You are the fucking cool! Well they should all be cool because my lab demostrator is cool! and so is Joan Ross! Thanks Lester I love you :D

My WAM last semester was 60 something and I should be OK with my other two subjects so hopefully I'll pass

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:
well.. for one all the questions are all tricky stuff :p

e.g the missing break cases from one of the multiple choices, cryptic linked list in crappy variable names, and passing a as well as &(a[0]), which was really tricky >.<

yeah, it was definitely engineered to make FLs
Why I did it I remember stoopid spagetti functions that took ages to detangle, and stoopid statements like:

a == b = c == d + 4 = 6

Mind you, in my 2041 exam one of the answers was (if I got it right):

^\W*(\w+)\W*.*\W+(\w+)\W*$

Pretty, isn't it?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
sounds like perl coding? very very pwetty..

now i think that the 1721 exam measures your ability to "recover from badly written legacy codes". Twas' pretty nightmarish :/

Shawny

passing finals
turned into a talk about computer codes and comp exams

never knew accounting and computing were so interrelated

they most both suck
most obvoius link

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
oops, sorry for off-topicness, they just happen to be related in my case, i'm doing both :/ . Both involves debugging.. (ever tried debugging an SFPo that doesnt balance?)

And no, computing doesn't suck. Accounting doesn't suck too, except I got 36% for my midsession, so chances of me failing is quite big :/

Shawny

sif accting doesn't suck

i likely probability of a first year commerce student liking accting is like
2%
which would mean a p-value is absolutely minimal

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Shawny said:
sif accting doesn't suck

i likely probability of a first year commerce student liking accting is like
2%
which would mean a p-value is absolutely minimal
wor... so i make up the 2%. i like accting cuz its easy:)

i calculated to pass this subject. i will have minimal of 68/100:D. seeing as you have to pass the final to pass accting..hopefully i get proper HD this time..

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
accounting rules man. it opened up a whole world of debit and credit that I didnt know existed until after accounting..

and yeah, i wrote that on my media task, and got full marks for that bit :D

natstar said:
This may sound dumb but what is WAM?
It's weighted average mark, the average mark of your course, taking into account how many units of that course you do. Basically HSC-style average mark.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:
sounds like perl coding? very very pwetty..

now i think that the 1721 exam measures your ability to "recover from badly written legacy codes". Twas' pretty nightmarish :/
Twas perl. And yes, that is the idea.

Shawny said:
passing finals
turned into a talk about computer codes and comp exams
My bad. This thread has merged with the bitching thread in my mind.

natstar said:
This may sound dumb but what is WAM?
WAM = Weighted Average Mark.
It is kind of like your UAI for uni.
Say I get 60, 70, 70 and 80 in my classes this session, and they are all 6UOC, I will get a WAM of 70. Now say my WAM was 60 last session, my overall WAM is now 65. Easy ...

underthesun beat me to it ..

sunny

meh.
HSC
WAMs are calculated from your final marks which McLake showed you. In the calculation of the WAM, it also takes into consideration of the number of units that subject is worth. So a 6uoc subject would have more weighting on your WAM than a 3uoc subject.

UNSW students can check their WAMs online - I have no idea how UWS does it.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
natstar said:
Does it take into account the type of subjects you do. Like their scaling lik ein the HSC. Like I did 1 Law unit, 1 marketing uni 1 Quantitative and Mathematical Science Subject and 1 Management subject.

I think my WAM's around 70 then
Unless UWS is different, it doesn't take into to account subject difficulty. That is up to the lecturer who sets final marks.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
yeah, for example the percentage of HD COMP1711 kids (hardest course available for first year in UNSW*), is huge. And that percentage is definitely different than COMP1011 (lower version of 1711)

* just what I think :D

</shameless plug>

scoff

HSC
N/A
underthesun said:
oops, sorry for off-topicness, they just happen to be related in my case, i'm doing both :/ . Both involves debugging.. (ever tried debugging an SFPo that doesnt balance?)

And no, computing doesn't suck. Accounting doesn't suck too, except I got 36% for my midsession, so chances of me failing is quite big :/
Good to see accounting doesn't suck. And PERL rox - it's the coolest programming language out there.

RobC

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
scoff said:
Good to see accounting doesn't suck. And PERL rox - it's the coolest programming language out there.

RobC
I guess that "PERL rox" statement justifies browsing slashdot during accounting lecture breaks..

p.s my student number is 3132995 :D

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
tonberry_kun said:
i thought that exam was actually pretty easy
i mean it was kinda tricky near the start with those questions that look easy, but actually trick ya

like that question with the FOR loop, in which the 4 lines under it were indented by there werent any "{/}" brackets

and the one that had an = instead of == for comparison.

yeah ok its not about looking good but if half the class does fail. questions would be raised about the difficulty of the exam and approiateness of it. hence scaling.

Shawny

from accting
to comp sci exam
to perl

and yeah
accting roxs
compard to qmb

qmb i hate u
hate u
U DIE
!
DIE!

scoff

HSC
N/A
underthesun said:
I guess that "PERL rox" statement justifies browsing slashdot during accounting lecture breaks..

p.s my student number is 3132995 :D
And that student number will be ignored (indeed, is already forgotten) while I go through the tedious task of marking exams :-(

RobC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)