How ranks affect ATAR (1 Viewer)

4ng_03

HSC
Hi guys,

my friends and I were talking at school, and we don’t really understand how ranks affect ATAR. From the gist of the discussion, we know that ranks are “moderated” (still don’t really understand how), and the top mark in the exam is given to the top student. So, in order to really grasp what I’m trying to ask (for my own sanity) here’s a little what if scenario:
In my English course, I’m currently sitting in 3rd place for my overall Internal marks. In the external exam (HSC) I somehow do really well and get the top score. However, due to ranks, I do not get that top score - that score goes to whoever ranked first internally. Instead, I get the mark of whoever was ranked 3rd in the external exam, despite the fact they did worse then me.
Is this true?
Thanks for your responses!

idkkdi

HSC
Hi guys,

my friends and I were talking at school, and we don’t really understand how ranks affect ATAR. From the gist of the discussion, we know that ranks are “moderated” (still don’t really understand how), and the top mark in the exam is given to the top student. So, in order to really grasp what I’m trying to ask (for my own sanity) here’s a little what if scenario:
In my English course, I’m currently sitting in 3rd place for my overall Internal marks. In the external exam (HSC) I somehow do really well and get the top score. However, due to ranks, I do not get that top score - that score goes to whoever ranked first internally. Instead, I get the mark of whoever was ranked 3rd in the external exam, despite the fact they did worse then me.
Is this true?
Thanks for your responses!
Yep, unless you wanna break your brain figuring out scaling this is a model which is basically true.

50% external, 50% internal for your full HSC mark.
Your internal portion is as you described. it's 'filled' by the 3rd best external mark.
Your external portion is your external mark in the HSC exam.

Last edited:

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
I don't think it 100% 'gives' the best mark to the top ranking person, I've seen it explained as an average of that person's mark and the best mark of their cohort. Otherwise, if you're coming first you could just write your name on the test, do nothing and still get the best mark of your cohort which would be very unfair.

c8

HSC
I don't think it 100% 'gives' the best mark to the top ranking person, I've seen it explained as an average of that person's mark and the best mark of their cohort. Otherwise, if you're coming first you could just write your name on the test, do nothing and still get the best mark of your cohort which would be very unfair.
The person ranked first internal gets the highest HSC mark as their internal, and their own HSC mark for external.
Technically if you are rank 1st and do bad in the HSC yes I believe you still get the highest HSC mark for your internal, but your HSC external will be bad

quickoats

HSC
Think about it like this - half comes from your own exam mark, and the other half comes from your school mark. However, NESA adjusts (moderates) your school mark so that it's fair (i.e. schools with different assessments are put on a level playing field). The "swapping" goes like this: if you're 3rd in school, with an 85% score, NESA needs to find an equivalent to that 85% in school to give you a school mark. They 'guess' this by giving you the 3rd highest exam mark from your school.

Nikolerak

HSC
Think about it like this - half comes from your own exam mark, and the other half comes from your school mark. However, NESA adjusts (moderates) your school mark so that it's fair (i.e. schools with different assessments are put on a level playing field). The "swapping" goes like this: if you're 3rd in school, with an 85% score, NESA needs to find an equivalent to that 85% in school to give you a school mark. They 'guess' this by giving you the 3rd highest exam mark from your school.
I came 5th (out of 100+ if this matters?) with an 82%. So how will this work for me? What are my chances for Band 5 (Standard English)?

quickoats

HSC
I came 5th (out of 100+ if this matters?) with an 82%. So how will this work for me? What are my chances for Band 5 (Standard English)?
If you get the 5th highest mark in the HSC, you will get your own mark. If you achieve a 75 in the final exam, and 75 is the 5th highest exam mark from your school, you will get 75. The 82 is irrelevant.

I don't know your chances for a Band 5 in Standard - it really depends on your school. If more than 5 people usually get band 5s then you are in a good position for a band 5.

Nikolerak

HSC
If you get the 5th highest mark in the HSC, you will get your own mark. If you achieve a 75 in the final exam, and 75 is the 5th highest exam mark from your school, you will get 75. The 82 is irrelevant.

I don't know your chances for a Band 5 in Standard - it really depends on your school. If more than 5 people usually get band 5s then you are in a good position for a band 5.
thanks. my school is not the best around ranked around 300, however reportedly between 10 and 20 students get Band 5 each year. Does that sound right? Nevertheless, I hope I can go lower than Band 4 no matter what happens in HSC????

quickoats

HSC
thanks. my school is not the best around ranked around 300, however reportedly between 10 and 20 students get Band 5 each year. Does that sound right? Nevertheless, I hope I can go lower than Band 4 no matter what happens in HSC????
If there's 100+ students, 10-20 seems about right for Band 5. However it really depends on the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)