How old is too old to stay in Uni? (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
There was a 70+ year old student taking Real + Complex Analysis last semester.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There was a 70+ year old guy smoking weed at the Roundhouse on... Wednesday.

Apparently a PhD in Philosophy.

Arceupins' girlfriend told me so. I figured, "oh alright"

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll be 26 when I finish if I keep doing what I'm doing. :/

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
When you're more than 5 years older than the average age of people in your class is when it can be more difficult making friends. Eg a 23 yr old in first year classes which are mostly 17-19yr olds

Obviously there are people of all ages in all sorts of different courses, but with people who are significantly older (like the 70+ ones just mentioned), the average student tends not to sit next to them, but rather with people they consider their peers. And I'm sure we've all experienced the mature age student asking questions in lectures when it's not appropriate.

Also depends a bit on ~life~ If you're 27 and unemployed, still living with parents, and taking forever to complete your degree, then there seems to be something wrong there.

Having said that, if you're a post-grad student, then age doesn't really matter.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
When you're more than 5 years older than the average age of people in your class is when it can be more difficult making friends. Eg a 23 yr old in first year classes which are mostly 17-19yr olds

Obviously there are people of all ages in all sorts of different courses, but with people who are significantly older (like the 70+ ones just mentioned), the average student tends not to sit next to them, but rather with people they consider their peers. And I'm sure we've all experienced the mature age student asking questions in lectures when it's not appropriate.

Also depends a bit on ~life~ If you're 27 and unemployed, still living with parents, and taking forever to complete your degree, then there seems to be something wrong there.

Having said that, if you're a post-grad student, then age doesn't really matter.
:cry:

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A

Best answer I've heard all day

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
So would it be weird for someone who finished HSC at 08 to graduate in 2014/2015??

izzy88

HSC
So would it be weird for someone who finished HSC at 08 to graduate in 2014/2015??
No. A combined degree will be generally minimum 5 years. If you do honours in one of them, that's an extra year. Or if you did a undergrad then a masters or a graduate degree (eg. JD) that will take you at least 5 years. There are lots of people at uni who are in their mid-late 20s.

I did the HSC 06. I will be finishing uni semester 1 2013... 5 year combined degree + honours + dropped a couple of subjects in one year, so an extra semester.

M

MichelleV

There are plenty of people in my evening classes that are adults. Many of them are in their 40s with kids, and never went to uni (some of them never finished high school to)

A lot have come back to get a degree so they can advanced further in their job, start up business etc.

Personally, I don't think you can ever be too old. There is nothing wrong with going to uni so you can have a better life :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)