How often are illness/misadventure granted? (1 Viewer)

joshlols

HSC
Recently i've been absent for school for a week, a week before assesments begin and a lot of the content in the assesments has been studied during that time, not to mention the preperation time lost (it's pretty hard to write an english speech while you're burning your ass off).

When I returned to school the deputy advised me to fill out an illness/misadventure so I did for english and 3unit maths (2unit as well but only because our school requires us to sit 2unit if we are doing 4unit in case we drop etc).

Only problem was she wasn't too clear on what exactly this entails except for 'well you are going to have to wait until next year where we calculate all the assesment marks, and if we find your assesments in this period differ from your future assesments it may be granted'.

So my question is, how often are these illness/misadventure applications granted and do they simply 'remove' the assesment mark and they simply scale the rest of your assesments back to 100% assuming they grant the application.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This reads very much like a school based policy.

Our school probably wouldn't even consider allowing you to apply if you were present on the day the task was done in class just because you were absent in the week leading up to the task.

This is because this can be abused by students (I am not saying that you are abusing the system but stating a fact).

You should be required to have a doctor's certificate to reinforce your illness but that is where abuse can come in as we know of students who simply get the certificate even though there is nothing wrong with them but they wanted to take the time off to get ready in their own way (including have extensive tutoring in the topic to be assessed).

Each school establishes their own procedures for these circumstances and some are far stricter than others about what they allow and what they don't e.g. some schools insist on a Dr's certificate if you are absent on the day before a task or even on the morning of a task that is to be submitted or sat later in the day whereas my school doesn't worry about students being absent prior to the task be sat or submitted so long as the student is in class at the right time or has their task in by the end of recess.

Ask your deputy to explain the process at your school in more detail but this should already be in writing and you should have been issued with the school's policy at the beginning of the HSC course if not earlier.

This is an area of concern for me as schools are free to make their own policy and different criteria are applied. Even with the application during the HSC itself each principal has to support the application and they can interpret situations differently e.g. my niece's school wouldn't support her application for misadventure last year when during the HSC exams her grandmother was terminally ill in hospital (she died shortly after the HSC ended) whereas the boss at my school would have supported the application without any hesitation.

Last edited:

dis0wned1

HSC
I dont know what it is like at your school but at mine misadventure is only given with a doctors certificate and only if it is on the day of the exam. Where i am they say if you were away it is your responsibility to get the work atleast copied off someone else. hope everything works out for you though. good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)