How much would having limited statistics impact essay marks? (1 Viewer)

lolwot

HSC
How much would having limited statistics impact the marking of your response for an essay question like,:

Discuss the impact of changes in the domestic and global economy on Australia’s exchange rate

Discuss the effectiveness of economic policies in achieving the Australian government’s economic objectives.

Or only including the stimulus statistics in a stimulus question?

Would you be like limited to 14/20 even if you discussed the theory behind it really well?

Last edited:

leesh95

HSC
I had a crappy economics teacher so I don't know much but I think statistics are a must for a good mark. I mean you do have the short responses to prove your knowledge and the whole point of the essay is to formulate an argument and then prove it using your statistics.

e.g. you could say that decreasing interest rates depreciates currency which is okay but if you also say e.g. recent decrease in interest rates by RBA has led to a depreciation of 10% in the AUD. It adds weight to your statement and gives your essay a polished look.

Also remember that the more you relate textbook economics to the real world the better.

kitchentable

HSC
I've gotten 18/20 for an essay without a single statistic, and my teacher used to mark HSC. It really depends on the question I guess, but you can certainly get away with limited use of statistics so long as the essay is really good. Hope that helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)