• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much studying is too much ? (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey guys,
I was wondering, how much is too much studying that could result breakdown? I'm planning to do heaps of work( a result of poor exam results) but I don't wanna over do it and burn out(both mentally and physically) ..but I'm not sure how much is too much ? Any thoughts? Like I dunno, is 5 hours ( i don't do that) too much ?hm.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I'm in my prelim years and I do 5 hours a day. My sister in her HSC year did 7 hours. I think 7 hours is a bit of a push. 6 should be good.

HSC
There are differing amounts for everyone, but don't go straight to five hours (or however much you're aiming for). Rather, gradually work your way upwards.

Also, remember that its quality over quantity. Find ways to make your study effective.

runnable

HSC
Chances are, you will never reach the "too much" limit. So just get on with it.

bachem

HSC
it isnt how many hours you do

ITS WHAT YOU LEARN IN THEM HOURS

you can do 10 hours and not learn

however you can do 1 hour and learn alot

i prefer 2 hours a day

u cant do 5 hours a day

to much and you will start to day-dream

sleepplease

HSC
you can definitely do too much, all my teachers are telling me that I'm not reaching my potential because I've done too much and have lost clarity etc. in my writing (I don't do maths or sciences so I don't know about those subjects)

I was doing from 4am - 8:30am, and then after school from 3:30pm - 12:00 pm and that was fucking stupid.

I think 5 hours a night is fine if you space it with breaks. i.e. 4:00 - 6:00 then dinner till 7pm, then 7pm - 9pm then shower/TV till 10pm, then 10pm - 11:00 then bed by 11:30pm. That's totally manageable.

HSC
sleepplease said:
you can definitely do too much, all my teachers are telling me that I'm not reaching my potential because I've done too much and have lost clarity etc. in my writing (I don't do maths or sciences so I don't know about those subjects)

I was doing from 4am - 8:30am, and then after school from 3:30pm - 12:00 pm and that was fucking stupid.

I think 5 hours a night is fine if you space it with breaks. i.e. 4:00 - 6:00 then dinner till 7pm, then 7pm - 9pm then shower/TV till 10pm, then 10pm - 11:00 then bed by 11:30pm. That's totally manageable.
WTFF! Those hours are crazy! that's like...4.5 hrs + 8.5 hrs...which equals....my maths is pretty bad...13 HOURS!!

WOAHH!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I do about 3-4 hours max a day. I usually do 2-3 though.

I think 5+ hours is too much.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Anything above 4 hrs on a daily basis is just ineffective and you tiring your brain out.
2-3 hours is perfect.

Exam time you should not exceed 5-6 hours per day, relax a little bit.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Anything above 4 hrs on a daily basis is just ineffective and you tiring your brain out.
2-3 hours is perfect.

Exam time you should not exceed 5-6 hours per day, relax a little bit.
123...4!

Anyway, yeah. People shouldn't over-study unless you have been doing that for a long time therefore you are adept at practising that routine.

shadyhaze

HSC
realistically, you can do about 5hours a day
and burning out is seriously just like i dont want to do work, more so than i cant do work (for non exam periods)
normal school days, you can work from 4:30 - 7, 7:30-10 then relax, or however you organise it
do more than 1 subject so you dont get bored

but yeah there will be times (exams) where you are doing 10hrs a day after exams, i did about 18hrs after doing 2 trial exams to prepare for my next one, but that was stressful and require a lot of V (not good for your heart)

so too much i would say bout 5+ hrs of effective work
5hrs of "study" whilst on msn doesnt count but seriously...its just the hsc, isnt that hard, no need to go overboard unless your aiming 99.75+

ital101

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering, how much is too much studying that could result breakdown? I'm planning to do heaps of work( a result of poor exam results) but I don't wanna over do it and burn out(both mentally and physically) ..but I'm not sure how much is too much ? Any thoughts? Like I dunno, is 5 hours ( i don't do that) too much ?hm.
I do 3 hours every night. It's enough. Full stop. No more. Oh yeah, and I also have a HW (Homework & Assignments) timetable that divides after school time into periods and gives me free periods and time to do school work. Simple. :D

cya!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)