how much extra study is really needed for 4u? (1 Viewer)

fionarykim

HSC
so im currently in yr 11 and i have to make a choice of whether i want to move on to 4u
i know it will be alot of work and effort, but if i can do well it will benefit me alot

the problem is that i have alot of other pretty intense subjects, as im doing phys, adv english, spanish cont and bio aswell
im not sure if i am able to handle it all, i have heard from many people that you need to at least do 3-4 hours of maths everyday, if thats true then i wont have time to study my other subjects >< nor continue with a parttime job

i was just wondering if you guys have any advice for me?
how are you guys finding 4u maths? do you guys find yourself doing 4 hours of maths everyday aswell?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
4 Hours of Maths a day is ridiculous.

To be honest, it really depends on how it's taught. Much of the concepts in Extension 2 Mathematics are very easy to understand so the theory is NOT difficult at all, and even the 'typical exam questions' aren't even that difficult when practised properly.

I would say 1-2 hours per day max will suffice, and you don't even need to do it everyday.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
4 Hours of Maths a day is ridiculous.

To be honest, it really depends on how it's taught. Much of the concepts in Extension 2 Mathematics are very easy to understand so the theory is NOT difficult at all, and even the 'typical exam questions' aren't even that difficult when practised properly.

I would say 1-2 hours per day max will suffice, and you don't even need to do it everyday.
But having said that, I hear that you're crazy smart at Maths and so YOU probably won't need to study much [doing BSc (Adv Maths) and all]. Is that for the "average" people? If someone is getting around 80's in ext 1, will the time still hold? What about for someone getting in the 70's?

fionarykim

HSC
i agree, it would really depend on the person ofc
if your smart you would find it alot easier to understand and therefore studying for that long may not be necessary

Amundies, are you thinking of doing 4u next year? :)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
i agree, it would really depend on the person ofc
if your smart you would find it alot easier to understand and therefore studying for that long may not be necessary

Amundies, are you thinking of doing 4u next year? :)
Yeah, which is why generally just asking people on the net isn't VERY useful as the person on the other side just has no clue as to the person's abilities.

I am indeed thinking of doing 4u next year, not really worried about the workload though (willing to study). What I'm most worried about is the difficulty.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've taught people who shouldn't be even doing 4U, yet they still understand perfectly okay.

But I'm not you, so you're the best to judge.

deswa1

HSC
Yeah, which is why generally just asking people on the net isn't VERY useful as the person on the other side just has no clue as to the person's abilities.

I am indeed thinking of doing 4u next year, not really worried about the workload though (willing to study). What I'm most worried about is the difficulty.
To be honest- definitely give it a go. Worst case, its too hard and you can just drop it. Its a much more interesting course than 2/3U so if you enjoy maths, its a great subject plus the scaling is ridiculous.

Back to OP's question, it really depends on the person and just how good you are at maths. Some people will get nearly full marks with an hour a night, some will do 3 hours a night and never hit 70%- just try it and you can always drop.

And tbh, I think the 4U course is overrated in terms of difficulty. Like don't get me wrong, its definitely challenging, but not to the extent that it has been built up to where if you do 4U you're instantly maths god and its impossible to get a good score.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a shame that understanding the concept is only a half of the work, the other half is applying it and everything else learnt to challenging questions...

But anyway, fionarykim, by no means am I "talented" at maths however I am going to give 4U a go if my teachers allow me to attempt it. I suggest doing the same, you can always drop out later on if it's too hard.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest- definitely give it a go. Worst case, its too hard and you can just drop it. Its a much more interesting course than 2/3U so if you enjoy maths, its a great subject plus the scaling is ridiculous.

Back to OP's question, it really depends on the person and just how good you are at maths. Some people will get nearly full marks with an hour a night, some will do 3 hours a night and never hit 70%- just try it and you can always drop.

And tbh, I think the 4U course is overrated in terms of difficulty. Like don't get me wrong, its definitely challenging, but not to the extent that it has been built up to where if you do 4U you're instantly maths god and its impossible to get a good score.
+1000.

RANK 1

HSC
its really not that difficult to do reasonably well in it. put in the same amount of effort as you do with other subjects and you'll pretty much be guaranteed e3

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

70%... isn't 70% a pretty decent mark though? I thought it could get a band 6.

bertstare

HSC
Give it a try, if you aren't coping well with it due to lack of commitment and time then drop it.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I didn't increase my maths study in year 12 in comparison to year 11. In fact, over the past 2 months or so I've probably been doing less than what I was doing in year 11.

Sindivyn

HSC
I only spend ~3-6 hours a week on MX2, and it's helped me dramatically in all other subjects (besides english obviously).

math man

HSC
N/A
if you think you will struggle just get tutoring by carrot or myself :p, then you will be more than fine.

jackerino

HSC
so im currently in yr 11 and i have to make a choice of whether i want to move on to 4u
i know it will be alot of work and effort, but if i can do well it will benefit me alot

the problem is that i have alot of other pretty intense subjects, as im doing phys, adv english, spanish cont and bio aswell
im not sure if i am able to handle it all, i have heard from many people that you need to at least do 3-4 hours of maths everyday, if thats true then i wont have time to study my other subjects >< nor continue with a part-time job

i was just wondering if you guys have any advice for me?
how are you guys finding 4u maths? do you guys find yourself doing 4 hours of maths everyday aswell?
Firstly amigo, fix your grammar. 2nd, I havent done 4u, but I have been doing 3u, and I can tell u now if you are finding that you are getting 85 percent plus on every test, simply because of silly mistakes really, and you are very confident and feel you have a deep understanding of all the topics in 3u in yr 11, there should be no problem whatsoever for you to do 4u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)