How much does school ranking affect ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Graceuf

HSC
I go to a pretty low ranked school. And I'm talking around the 550 mark last year. My friends and I are aiming to get 90+ ATARs and I'm just wondering how hard it's going to be to achieve that. We don't have a particularly strong cohort although I'm hoping we can raise the rank a little.

But is a 95 ATAR possible for my friend who is topping Adv Maths and is doing well in her other subjects. I'm just curious.

Last edited:

bakstar

HSC
Yes. Just make sure your topping, or very near the top, and you should keep your external marks for your internals.

Aeyis

HSC
Yes. Just make sure your topping, or very near the top, and you should keep your external marks for your internals.
What rank is acceptable when you say "very near the top"? Are we talking top 3, 5, 10 maybe?

keepLooking

HSC
The school ranking you obtain from these websites only give you a rough idea of how the school's cohort went at that particular year. Unless your school has been consistently getting 550 for the past 3 years, which in this case you may want to consider transferring schools.

You want to make sure you near the top, which is rank 1st to 3rd at the very least unless the difference between the ranks are only by 1-2% or a few marks. In all seriousness, it will depend on how well your cohort does in the externals this year.

I have heard a few stories of members on BOS going to 300-400+ schools and getting >95 so it is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)