How much does internal marks affect your UAI/ATAR?? (1 Viewer)

silverpen

HSC
Do you have to have amazing internal marks and an amazing hsc result to get an amazing UAI....?

my internal marks are average but if i go well in the hsc will it be dragged down heaps by my internal marks?

thanks!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
no - your internal raw marks mean nothing.

what matters is the gaps between rankings.

your hsc exam results determine your internal results

silverpen

HSC
i dont understand that sorry can u please explain

your hsc exam results determine your internal results??

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
basically what happens is your school sends in your marks that you've obtained at school.

now, with these marks you obviously have ranks 1,2,3,4,5....whatever

you then do the hsc exam.

since the marks in YOUR school means nothing (ie. your school might have hard exams, so if your 'highest' school mark was 30 - obviously they have to fix it up)

once you finish the exam, the TOP external mark goes to the person who comes first INTERNALLY (ie. this top external mark becomes the top internal mark).
then, using the marks submitted - they align it accordingly so that there is an even distribution of marks in the 'pool' of marks from the hsc exam. so if you're 1-2 marks behind the first person, and their internal was say - 93, then you might get a 92 or 91.

however, if the person coming first is 20 marks ahead of eveyrone and he/she gets 98, then the second person (internally) might only get 82 or something.

silverpen

HSC
how come if u get the top external mark u cant just keep it ...it gets given away in a sense

if my confusion is frustrating u dont have to bother :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
how come if u get the top external mark u cant just keep it ...it gets given away in a sense

if my confusion is frustrating u dont have to bother :)
you keep your external marks.

the internal mark is determined by the pool (ie. your schools) of marks.

it's not really given away as the person who came first internally should receive the top external mark as thats the 'potential' of your cohort.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
real example

person / school / hsc assessment / overall
A 97(100) 100 100
B 96(99) 96 (99+96)/2 = roughly 98
C 93(96) 96 (96+96)/2 = 96
D 92 (95) 91 (95+91)/2 = 93
...etc

A's school mark of 97 -> 100 as he was ranked first at school. He gets the top HSC mark as his internal mark

B's school mark of 96 -> 99 as he was very close to top ranked person so he gets 99 as his internal school mark

C's school mark of 93 -> 96 as he was ranked third and gets the 3rd top ranked mark

D gets 95 as his HSC assessment because he was ranked 4th and close to person who got 96 internal mark.

shady145

Banned
HSC
also relating to internal marks and gaps, in all my classess, especially maths, chemistry and physics, i am ranked 1st by quite a large gap, my friends have been complaining to me, to atleast go easier so the gaps arnt too large to make them achieve a better internal mark, should i do this, or could this lower my internal mark????

to OP namu's got ur back there with his explaination

Last edited:

samthebear

HSC
also relating to internal marks and gaps, in all my classess, especially maths, chemistry and physics, i am ranked 1st by quite a large gap, my friends have been complaining to me, to atleast go easier so the gaps arnt too large to make them achieve a better internal mark, should i do this, or could this lower my internal mark????
dude. sorry for my lack of eloquence. but FUCK THEM. why should you lower your marks so that they can profit out of it? if you're doing well just keep doing well. no one is going to be that nice to you in the real world. harden the fuck up. while you sympathise with them dont lower your standards. once you lower your standards you will keep dropping.

They should be trying to do better.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dude. sorry for my lack of eloquence. but FUCK THEM. why should you lower your marks so that they can profit out of it? if you're doing well just keep doing well. no one is going to be that nice to you in the real world. harden the fuck up. while you sympathise with them dont lower your standards. once you lower your standards you will keep dropping.

Why not help your mates? As long as you are first, no matter how big/small the gap is, you don't disadvantage from it...that's why sometimes schools adjust their marks so that gaps are not big. That's what they would probably do in some smart schools

samthebear

HSC
Why not help your mates? As long as you are first, no matter how big/small the gap is, you don't disadvantage from it...that's why sometimes schools adjust their marks so that gaps are not big. That's what they would probably do in some smart schools
its not really about helping your friends or not - its more about personal integrity and the fact that once you start to let your standards slip you tend to just keep slipping. if the school will adjust it anyways it doesnt matter if you get a lower mark to reduce the gap will it?

and srsly. while helping your friends is all fine and good - this is the HSC we're talking about. while we actually pretend we care what happens to other people we really dont as long as we get the result that we want.
Dog eat dog world. i dont expect anyone to do something like that for me without me having to repay them with an equal favour. and i dont do favours like that because i know that its more likely that i'll never get repaid. if i do a favour i do it knowing that i'll never get repaid or i'll be waiting forever.
Same principal is applied to lending money. lend money only when you're happy enough to never get it back.

Apply that principal to the HSC and give marks without expecting them to be returned. and we all know how vital one mark is in the HSC.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
its not really about helping your friends or not - its more about personal integrity and the fact that once you start to let your standards slip you tend to just keep slipping. if the school will adjust it anyways it doesnt matter if you get a lower mark to reduce the gap will it?

and srsly. while helping your friends is all fine and good - this is the HSC we're talking about. while we actually pretend we care what happens to other people we really dont as long as we get the result that we want.
Dog eat dog world. i dont expect anyone to do something like that for me without me having to repay them with an equal favour. and i dont do favours like that because i know that its more likely that i'll never get repaid. if i do a favour i do it knowing that i'll never get repaid or i'll be waiting forever.
Same principal is applied to lending money. lend money only when you're happy enough to never get it back.

Apply that principal to the HSC and give marks without expecting them to be returned. and we all know how vital one mark is in the HSC.
okay. whatever floats your boat, aye

shady145

Banned
HSC
so does that mean the gap between ranks doesnt matter?, or it doesnt matter if u are first?

shady145

Banned
HSC

are you male or female?? i c in ur info it says female but u dn't really c females that agressive.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
so does that mean the gap between ranks doesnt matter?, or it doesnt matter if u are first?
well it's not going to affect unless you don't sit your HSC...then they will estimate your mark based on difference.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's as everyone has said.

Internal marks = no effect
Internal gaps between ranks = a lot
Internal ranks = a heck of a lot

External HSC mark/rank = 50%+

samthebear

HSC
are you male or female?? i c in ur info it says female but u dn't really c females that agressive.
yes i'm actually female and yes i'm actually hetrosexual. i'm just going to take that as a compliment - i just have a strong personality. well whatever if you choose to drop your marks so your friends can get a good deal out of it be my guest but personally i wouldnt.

jellybelly59

HSC
its not really about helping your friends or not - its more about personal integrity and the fact that once you start to let your standards slip you tend to just keep slipping. If the school will adjust it anyways it doesnt matter if you get a lower mark to reduce the gap will it?

And srsly. While helping your friends is all fine and good - this is the hsc we're talking about. While we actually pretend we care what happens to other people we really dont as long as we get the result that we want.
Dog eat dog world. I dont expect anyone to do something like that for me without me having to repay them with an equal favour. And i dont do favours like that because i know that its more likely that i'll never get repaid. If i do a favour i do it knowing that i'll never get repaid or i'll be waiting forever.
Same principal is applied to lending money. Lend money only when you're happy enough to never get it back.

Apply that principal to the hsc and give marks without expecting them to be returned. And we all know how vital one mark is in the hsc.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)