How much did you write for section 1? (1 Viewer)

How much did you write for section 1?

• <2

Votes: 8 6.0%

Votes: 18 13.4%

Votes: 27 20.1%

Votes: 26 19.4%

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • >6

Votes: 29 21.6%

• Total voters

Muchi

HSC
zvyx said:
3 pages, 5 marker took up about a page and a bit.

It's usually overboard to write for more than 5 or so pages in section 1. I did about 400 words (2 normal A4 pages) for my trial and got full marks for it. quality > quantity, thats for sure in section 1.
This may be off topic but anywho:

Do you think it's the same for the other sections? i.e. quality > quantity?

Just curious... hmm..

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
A certain quality requires a solid quantity.
However theres so many variables, such as handwriting style shape and size that its really hard to comment.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Like question 1, you get 1 mark for this... so you answer the question with one point and then explain. How could you bullshit your way up to 6 or more pages?

Geohood

HSC
Section 1: 3 pages... I write at 10-15 words a line... and I mean the first 2 questions didnt need that much writing at all.

zvyx

HSC
i think quality plays the more important role in section 1 and 2. however i think in the essay/section 3, quality and quantity are equal.

i have to clarify though that quality doesn't only mean you have a sophisticated style of writing (and I doubt this is necessary in section 1, though it is important in the other sections). when i mean quality i mean concise answers that answer the question sufficiently corresponding to the amount of marks the question is worth, and go into detail. and by quantity i mean just how much you write, measurable via a word count, rather than number of points, or number of techniques (which I regard as quality)

edit: re: EbonyTW, that's the kind of thing I'm wondering about. Quantity in section 1 isn't necessarily proportionate to your other sections. First of all, note you usually have to refer to the 4 texts in the ~40 minutes allocated for it, which takes up a significant amount of time (i.e. you don't read it once, look at the question, then answer it without ever looking back at the text again). So markers aren't expecting that much. The other thing is that the 1-marker usually only requires 2, maybe 3 lines at most if your handwriting is about 5-7 words/HSC-sized line. 2-markers require 5, maybe 6 lines, 3-markers require about 9-10 lines. So there's one page, for 6 marks. The 4-marker would require about 14 lines, and the 5-marker needs bout 20 or a little bit more. In all, that totals to about 2 and a half pages? That will be sufficient, if your answers are concise, and contains the techniques and explanation for the question. Obviously most people can't be concise under exam pressure and tend to increase their quantity, hence I think anything more than 5 pages is overboard.

But yes, if you're writing a page, or even two pages of quality in section 1, that's not enough.

Last edited:

Lauren x

HSC
I think any more than 6 pages is ridiculous. The section is "Short Answer" meaning you are not supposed to write essays for each question. The marks for each question are an indication of how many lines are required to answer the question. Just read the question, and answer it simply. There's no need to crap on for 3 pages for a 5 mark question.

schwurlie

HSC
Lauren x said:
I think any more than 6 pages is ridiculous. The section is "Short Answer" meaning you are not supposed to write essays for each question. The marks for each question are an indication of how many lines are required to answer the question. Just read the question, and answer it simply. There's no need to crap on for 3 pages for a 5 mark question.
I agree :|

Jezzakar

HSC
We're talking about short answer here. You people did see the number of marks each question was worth didnt you? there is no point writing a bunch of crap for a two mark question. on the subject of how many pages i used, wouldnt have a clue, didnt bother to notice with this section because i didnt see it as important.

shakky15

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
One page short of two whole booklets
But I did it last so at that point my handwriting was pretty big and sloped, probably only 6 words a line.
oh come on thats just silly

how much did you write for each question?

any more than 3 lines on a 1-marker is a waste of time

more than half a page on a 2-marker also

more than a page on a 3 marker

more than 2 pages on a 4 marker

more than 4 pages on a 5 marker

add that up and u get 8 pages.... writing 15 pages is just a waste of time and effort you'd be better off saving that time and writing 7 more pages for section 3 where quantity is actually more important.

EDIT - im curious to see your hsc marks and UAI when they come out. You must post them or tell me lol...

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
People, the band 6 example from 2006 used 6 and a half pages, with 2 pages for the 5 or 6 marker.

Quantity becomes obsolete after a while...

Miffstaa

HSC
ahhh who cares...everyones just trying to make themselves feel better now since the exam is finished. doesnt matter if it their great/small quantity was ridiculous, its their own exam.

B

bekmay

Lauren x said:
agreed.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
agreed with garygaz.

so long as you had 1/2/3/4 techniques or a bit more in the first 4 questions, then somewhere around 8-10ish for e), you're fine.

mine was around 7 pages i think.

HSC
i wrote 2 pages all up. The fucking HSC cunts are gay. 4 unseen texts!!! FAGSS i didnt have time so i just read 2 stanzas and wrote 1 point. As far as i can see i dont give a fuck anymore

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
shakky15 said:

add that up and u get 8 pages.... writing 15 pages is just a waste of time and effort you'd be better off saving that time and writing 7 more pages for section 3 where quantity is actually more important.

EDIT - im curious to see your hsc marks and UAI when they come out. You must post them or tell me lol...
Like I said, by the time I got to the RT, my hand was off kelter and I was only getting six words to a line.
I also did my RT in the final 30 minutes, so it was hardly me wasting time and effort.

And I will, I'm flattered you're interested.

Garygaz

HSC
shakky15 said:

Considering she writes 6 words a line and others with small writing can write 10-11 words a line it's not that different. Also, depends on how people paragraph or how much room they leave between questions or if they do this :

bla bla bla bla

Question 3:

bla bla bla

Leaving big gaps to signal a new question, both above and below the question.

shakky15

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Like I said, by the time I got to the RT, my hand was off kelter and I was only getting six words to a line.
I also did my RT in the final 30 minutes, so it was hardly me wasting time and effort.

And I will, I'm flattered you're interested.
wooo uve hit the 1000 post mark rofl.

so u got 15 pages in 30 minutes. my god i am in awe, please teach me lol. nar my problem is that i need to think too much for short answer. it took 45 mins to write like 6 pages... and 30 mins to get 8 for creative.

6 words to the line isnt that massive. i think i average about 7-9. others can do like 4 on a line lol.

and im sure im not the only one interested in ur UAI lol - ur almost a serial poster in these forums nowadays lol.. and u seem to be doing well at school..

my god in 61 days we will know our UAI :O

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
shakky15 said:
wooo uve hit the 1000 post mark rofl.

so u got 15 pages in 30 minutes. my god i am in awe, please teach me lol. nar my problem is that i need to think too much for short answer. it took 45 mins to write like 6 pages... and 30 mins to get 8 for creative.

6 words to the line isnt that massive. i think i average about 7-9. others can do like 4 on a line lol.

and im sure im not the only one interested in ur UAI lol - ur almost a serial poster in these forums nowadays lol.. and u seem to be doing well at school..

my god in 61 days we will know our UAI :O
Man, thats depressing. XD

hahaha. everyone says that but its not something i learnt. i just have pretty nimble hands and can writing friggin' fast.

i love school. thats one of the main reasons i do well.

hahaha, scarrrry
and message board sites are my vice

HSC
shakky15 said:

More than 3 words on a 1-marker is a waste of time.

All the others are techniques specific and can vary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)