How many units and what counts? (1 Viewer)

Minnie Moo

HSC
N/A
1. If I am doing:
English 3U (which includes English 2U)
Maths 3U (which includes Maths 2U)
Chemistry (2U)
Japanese Continuers (2U)
Am I doing 10 units or 14 units?
2. If 10 units, does it mean my English 2U and Maths 2U will not be counted towards ATAR?
Just wanting to make sure.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
1. You're doing 10 units.

3U English consists of one unit of English Extension as well as 2 units of English Advanced. Similarly, 3U maths consists of one unit of Mathematics Extension as well as 2 units of Mathematics Advanced.

2. Your best 2 units of English are always included. In your case, all your units (including English 2U and Maths 2U) will count towards your ATAR, because you're doing 10 units.

Minnie Moo

HSC
N/A
Thank you.

So my English and Maths marks will like depend on 2 thirds the 2U and 1 third the 3U, right (say before scaling and moderating)?

Currently my 2U marks are good but the 3U can be improved. But it is better than the other way round, right?

1. You're doing 10 units.

3U English consists of one unit of English Extension as well as 2 units of English Advanced. Similarly, 3U maths consists of one unit of Mathematics Extension as well as 2 units of Mathematics Advanced.

2. Your best 2 units of English are always included. In your case, all your units (including English 2U and Maths 2U) will count towards your ATAR, because you're doing 10 units.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you.

So my English and Maths marks will like depend on 2 thirds the 2U and 1 third the 3U, right (say before scaling and moderating)?

Currently my 2U marks are good but the 3U can be improved. But it is better than the other way round, right?
No worries.

2U and 3U Maths and English are counted as separate subjects, meaning you'll be getting separate marks for each.

E.g.: English Advanced 85 (band 5)
English Extension 43 (band E3)

Yes, normally 3U maths scales better than 2U maths (not sure about English though). However, keep in mind that Advanced is 2 units whereas Extension is one unit, so the effect of Extension on your overall ATAR will most likely be lower than that of Advanced. That being said, you should focus on both so you can achieve good marks in both (you already are for 2U which is great :D) and that will positively affect your ATAR.

Minnie Moo

HSC
N/A
Hey Jimmy

If I go to some of the top ranking schools, like Sydney Girls Hight, does it help much? I also rank on the lower end, say 66/95 for Chemistry (78%).

No worries.

2U and 3U Maths and English are counted as separate subjects, meaning you'll be getting separate marks for each.

E.g.: English Advanced 85 (band 5)
English Extension 43 (band E3)

Yes, normally 3U maths scales better than 2U maths (not sure about English though). However, keep in mind that Advanced is 2 units whereas Extension is one unit, so the effect of Extension on your overall ATAR will most likely be lower than that of Advanced. That being said, you should focus on both so you can achieve good marks in both (you already are for 2U which is great :D) and that will positively affect your ATAR.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Jimmy

If I go to some of the top ranking schools, like Sydney Girls Hight, does it help much? I also rank on the lower end, say 66/95 for Chemistry (78%).
That would help if your current school is really bad in terms of what marks are achieved by your cohort on average. Top ranking school have the advantage of more academically capable cohorts, meaning that you'll probably end up with a higher internal mark if you rank the same but at schools like Sydney Girls High.

Qeru

HSC
1620986486226.png
Sorry to say but generally around 30 people get band 6 for chem in syd girls (ofc there is the outlier which is 2019). A good school definitely helps, but you must still have generally good ranks for a band 6.

Minnie Moo

HSC
N/A
ohhh

Could you please run the stats for the following as well?

French Continuers
Maths Advanced

Thank you!

View attachment 30655
Sorry to say but generally around 30 people get band 6 for chem in syd girls (ofc there is the outlier which is 2019). A good school definitely helps, but you must still have generally good ranks for a band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)