how many texts do we use for the essay? (1 Viewer)

dilos

HSC
hey everyone!!

i'm just unsure about how many texts we should be using for the AoS essay?

should it be eg. 2 coleridge poems, 1 stimbklt, and 2 related
or 3 coleridge poems, 1 stimbklt 2 related??

any more? any less? any ideas? cos i'm really confused how many we should be learning to get a band 6- given the short amount we have to write it all and still write something of decent quality.:confused:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i think its the last one, but i don't do the coleridge poems so i wouldn't know. how many are there to start with? i mean if theres 6 then i'd imagine 3 but if theres 4 or 5 then it depends. in addition, i would imagine it depends on the question and what it asks you to do. certain poems may fit better than others and you may have to draw information from several poems for one question but another question may only require you to talk in detail about 2.

but the other texts you are right, 1 stimulus booklet and 2 supps. and the essay should be minimum of 8 pages or one writing booklet.

good luck. :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
for the colerdige poems, u should do two and preferably a conversational one and a supernatural one. then add on the BoS text and our two related texts

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
1stimbklt, 2 related

as for poems, see how many you can fit, definitely 2 or 3

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Two Coleridge poems, one from the stimulus booklet and one of your own.

Generally it's 50% on the Coleridge poems, 50% on the other two.

The Coleridge poems should be one conversational (Lime-Tree, Frost at Midnight) and one visionary poem (Kubla, Ancient Mariner).

So aim for 25% on all four. It's generally a good idea to link the two other texts to the Coleridge ones and not to link the Coleridge ones to each other all that much. This makes it easier to write an integrated essay.

dilos

HSC
aw thanks guys!! 8 pages min?? in 40 mins....almost physically impossible (unless you want to read scribble)...

i wasn't too sure which way to go- learn 2 coleridge poems inside out...

or do 3 poems, but a little more concise

hmm i think i'll go with the first one.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
8 pages in HSC writing booklet terms is not much.

8 pages in normal A4 is heaps. I generally get about 5-6 normal A4 pages in an hour.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the HSC writing booklet has huuuuge gaps between the lines...its not hard to fill them up within minutes.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
depends on the question

if the question is just:
text - then you can live with one, but 2 would be better
texts - then you have to have more than one! 2+++

not including required text and stimlus text!

i've gotten burnt before thinking 1 text would be enough, but then realised it is a pural!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Text:

The Coleridge poems are all ONE text.

The four poems are not separate/individual, they are ONE text. That's how you have to think about it.

Aramat

Hey carefull guys in my half yearly they asked for 2 stimulus booklet thingys....so many if us got burned so prepare a couple

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Tam
Hey carefull guys in my half yearly they asked for 2 stimulus booklet thingys....so many if us got burned so prepare a couple
yes, but in the HSC, you definately need only one...preaparing for a few is a good idea nevertheless, but changing your plans on HSC day will make it difficult to incorporate a new BOS text into the essay on the spot...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
You don't even need to know the Stimulus booklet ones in that much detail. Having a good memory which can remember pictures well is a big plus because then you can analyse the photo that's in your head on the go if the going gets tough and you end up winning :D

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
doesnt help if you're not doing the ivory trail or journeys over land and sea :p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I found that if there's visual or sensory imagery involved in a text I'm more likely to remember the visual imagery conjured up by the text very vividly - I exploit that :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)