How many subjects do you do? (1 Viewer)

Janine

HSC
N/A
I am seriously freaking out because I think I have failed a few of my subjects this semeseter, meaning I will have to take on many extra units next year if I am going to graduate from uni on time!

After this semester, I have four semesters left, and if things go as expected, I will be doing 5 subjects for each of the next three semesters, and four subjects for my last semester.

I was just wondering how many subjects everybody else does and if anyone has ever been in the same position as me?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I do four subjects per semester. I couldn't imagine doing any more than that:eek:.

Edit for Generator: Each subject is worth ten credit points and the standard credit load for each semester is forty credit points, so I am doing the standard amount:).

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just a little note... If you are going to discuss the number of subjects that you are taking, please try to also mention the number of credit points per subject and the standard credit load for each semester. It just makes it easier for us all, that's all.

Graduating on time shouldn't be a concern. Just take the degree at the pace that you deem appropriate. Luckily you still have the time to do so, too (re. Nelson's reforms).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I take a standard 24 credit point load of four subjects each semester this year. In 2005 and 2006 I will be taking a 28 cp load each semester, above the universal standard BUT standard for my course (BSc BA IntSt).

Last semester I was certain I'd failed physics, and dead scared I'd failed maths. Turns out I got 50 and 54 respectively, which is why I avoided both this semester. It was doubly scary to think I'd fail one (let alone two subjects) because doing that would mean losing any chance of getting into Medicine before 2009.

Finishing "on time" should never be a concern. It is far better to take your units at a pace which allows you to achieve your best possible marks, rather than rushing all your work because your load is too heavy (and obviously failing everything).

bex

HSC
i seriously dont know how i ever coped with more than 4 subjects at high school! is 24 credit points standard?? at my uni, subjects are generally worth 8 credit points.. ill be there for the required 3yrs, just one more on campus semester and then my 24point internship and an 8pt distance ed. subject to go!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i do 4 subjects, worth 8cp, 7cp, 6cp and 3 cp respectively, giving me the standard 24cp for this semester.

I think it really depends on the subjects as to how many credit points you can do without having a metal breakdown. For example, my 6cp subject is 100000 times easier than my 8cp subject, so i could probably cope with 4cp more of the easy subject, but would spak out completely if i had to do even 1cp more of my 8cp subject.

It also depends on how many contact hours the subjects have, as to whether there is feasibly enough time to do all the required hours of pracs and tutes etc. A 6cp arts subject requires less face to face time than a 6cp science subject where you've got pracs as well. It easier to fit readings in around other things like paid work than it is to fit pracs in around other things.

I agree with generator, dont stress about finishing on time, i'll be at uni for a good 5 years to come! you wont be a loner!

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Four: 10, 10, 20, 20 credit points (20's go over the whole year, so it's technically the standard amount)

Generator

HSC
N/A
24 is the standard load and that is what I'm currently at with one 12 (13 weeks) and 2 6 (6 weeks) credit point units.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
I do the recommended amount of subjects...that is, 5/session.

That means I've done 10 after the first year...maybe it'll be better when I start doing my majors...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I do 4 subjects at the moment (which is a standard load), but I started off this semester with 5 subjects (to make up for only doing 3 last time) which I would have kept up, but I loathed one of my subjects...so it wasn't a matter of not having enough time/energy/whatever, it was just that I disliked it rather strongly.
Pick your units right and 5 subjects would be do-able.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing 3 sub's per semester this semester on (6CP each, standard is 24, I'm doing 18)

Means my degree is 3.5 years instead of 3

doe

HSC
N/A
if i were you janine id just do an extra semester. imo you just wont enjoy your time. its only 6 months. mid year is quite a good time to look for work when you finish as its the new financial year so departments have their budgets etc.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i think next year I will be doing 30cp (normal is 24)... 30 contact hours :s

and my degree is 5 years

doe

HSC
N/A
thats crazy

at mq, for every 5 hours of contact time you're meant to do about 7 hours out of class study. so for you thats 72 hours a week ... 10 hour days, 7 days a week. meep.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
doe said:
thats crazy

at mq, for every 5 hours of contact time you're meant to do about 7 hours out of class study. so for you thats 72 hours a week ... 10 hour days, 7 days a week. meep.
Haha, imagine that:eek:!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah but probaly the only time you would actually need to do the 70 hours is in stuvac when you are stressing. I have 30 contact hours, and while i so spend a significant amount of time outside of uni studying, its not 70 hours a week. but then, i procrastinate a bit.....

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I only have fourteen contact hours per week (crammed into two days):D! I usually don't study until a couple of days before an exam:).

ziggyboy

HSC
Credit points are not the same on every uni. At UOW 6cp means 12 hours of study per week which *includes* formal lectures, labs, tutes and personal study. This means if you only have 2 hours lec and 1 hour tute then there should be more assignments/individual work assigned compared to some engineering subjects having upto a 4-hr lec, 3-hr lab and 1-hr tute.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
The amount of work can also vary within uni's...like, pretty much all units at Newcastle are worth 10 cp (unless you do like law, when its 20 but runs for a whole year), and within that 10units, you have stuff like science which is upto 6 contact hrs/week, or something like arts which may be as little as 2/3

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'm doing 4 subjects this semester @ 6cp each, so thats 24cp, which is the normal load per semester at UTS.

I'm also teaching 2 subjects this semester as well (actually 3 for the past 3 weeks as well), so its been quite a busy semester for me.

Exams coming up soon :S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)