how many hours of study (1 Viewer)

Habshi

HSC
Yeah slept properly still. No like random 2am studying that's when you end up burning out and not being able to sustain it. I had some breaks to eat and stuff like an hr for lunch and dinner. I don't think I had a specific time frame as I didn't really do like plans and timetables as I didn't find those things useful for me. However, it would just be whenever I woke up then I will start studying
Did you take any time to relax? Also did you only just eat during your lunch/dinner breaks or did you watch something to relax w it?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Did you take any time to relax? Also did you only just eat during your lunch/dinner breaks or did you watch something to relax w it?
Relaxing time was mostly while eating, that's why I would eat and do stuff for like 1 hr. I can't remember exactly since it was 5 years ago but I probably just watched youtube along with it when at home. I had a very high tolerance for being able to study without breaks for long periods of time because I had built it up over Year 11 and Year 12, had a clear goal to do with getting dux in my school, trying to get scholarships at uni and genuinely enjoyed studying most of my subjects as I liked the content and doing questions. I basically sacrificed any free time in HSC to studying all the time and it paid off for me so I don't see it as I overworked myself and didn't leave enough time for relaxation, which some people may think of as they value the experiences in Year 12 as well. This is something most people probably won't be able to handle in terms of studying that much each day and so it's only really something you can build up overtime, vs trying to go from a few hours a day to the whole day dramatically which will take time to get used to. It doesn't mean you can't get a high ATAR if you don't study this much but it's an example of what you need to do to be near the top of the state in terms of ATAR.

Habshi

HSC
Relaxing time was mostly while eating, that's why I would eat and do stuff for like 1 hr. I can't remember exactly since it was 5 years ago but I probably just watched youtube along with it when at home. I had a very high tolerance for being able to study without breaks for long periods of time because I had built it up over Year 11 and Year 12, had a clear goal to do with getting dux in my school, trying to get scholarships at uni and genuinely enjoyed studying most of my subjects as I liked the content and doing questions. I basically sacrificed any free time in HSC to studying all the time and it paid off for me so I don't see it as I overworked myself and didn't leave enough time for relaxation, which some people may think of as they value the experiences in Year 12 as well. This is something most people probably won't be able to handle in terms of studying that much each day and so it's only really something you can build up overtime, vs trying to go from a few hours a day to the whole day dramatically which will take time to get used to. It doesn't mean you can't get a high ATAR if you don't study this much but it's an example of what you need to do to be near the top of the state in terms of ATAR.
Fair enough. Thanks btw - honestly I can also study for long periods of times, especially cause I enjoy it. Just had a small break because of how demotivated I had got because of lockdown and that. Think I'll be back to it soon tho cheers

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
You really enjoyed every single subject? Even English?
And did you study all subjects in a day or just 2-3 in a day
No didn't really enjoy english in the sense of how HSC structures it, but in general I could appreciate the interest in terms of analysing a text and people gaining different perspectives based on their own intepretation. I liked the outside of the exams, analysis part but yeah exams for english in HSC you just have to get through them. The rest of my subjects though I enjoyed, as I am a maths/science person and the rest of my subjects aside from business studies (which I also somewhat enjoyed) and english were those. However, I didn't study much continuously for english so I didn't encounter that problem of being bored by it. It wasn't something that I would be studying weekly aside from school homework. I spent a decent amount of time in holidays and every now and then typing up an essay and analysis for each section and improving them after I would get some feedback from an assessment, tutor or see something new. Aside from that I just memorised all my essays and short story fully a few weeks prior to exams. I was naturally good at english so was able to just adapt these on the spot to the exam question, I actually didn't even do 1 english practice exam the whole year in practicing adapting to random questions. My approach was rather to build-up a very strong essay that addressed numerous parts of the text and rubric areas in the syllabus, that any question I got I could adapt to it easily. For the short answer section since I had written all my essays and analysis from scratch without using stuff from the internet or past essays since I wanted to make them unique and original, I didn't have to really study much for this section because I understood a lot of techniques and how to analyse them on the spot.

I didn't do all subjects in a day and didn't really have a fixed schedule, so sometimes maybe 1 subject a day, other times maybe 3 or 4. I just focused on studying areas in which I wanted to improve my understanding in by doing practice exam questions related to those.

Habshi

HSC
Hey man, your previous reply helped a lot and I can relate pretty well ngl! I wanted to ask how you would get out of slumps (if you did fall into any) when watching something like youtube, and not wanting to study. Thanks!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey man, your previous reply helped a lot and I can relate pretty well ngl! I wanted to ask how you would get out of slumps (if you did fall into any) when watching something like youtube, and not wanting to study. Thanks!
To be honest I didn't really have many slumps during HSC because I was highly motivated at the time from the several factors I mentioned in that post. However, at uni I have experienced slumps sometimes. You have to force yourself to start studying and after that usually the urge to procrastinate goes away. There are strategies other people use though like turning off notifications from social media, making a timetable or set of activities to complete for the day in certain time periods.

icycledough

HSC
How come those factors didn’t apply in uni? Shouldn’t you procrastinate even less in uni since your doing what you enjoy the most?
I guess it's because most people want to just 'pass' their course, graduate from uni and start working as soon as possible. Unless you're doing one of the 'top' degrees, then you don't need the really high grades in uni like high school requires

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
How come those factors didn’t apply in uni? Shouldn’t you procrastinate even less in uni since your doing what you enjoy the most?
I enjoy my course, but once you are at uni it is not like high school, where your primary focus is studying. At uni you may be balancing many different activities while studying such as internships, job, social life and exercise, so it's natural that sometimes you will feel overworked and need some rest periods. In my case I tried to do too many things at once and attempting to do them all at a high level. For my first 3 years of uni I was working 20-25 hours a week, trying to top subjects at uni which requires a lot of study since the level of student is high already in the course so it requires a lot of effort to perform highly on all tasks throughout the semester and doing research in a lab full-time in the uni holidays (basically like a 9-5pm), while still doing tutoring. Due to that I experienced burnout, not in the sense of you just feel like procrastinating or slightly overwhelmed, but in terms of health as I was getting sick all the time and feeling very tired, because of working non-stop for 3 years without much break. I probably should've cut down on one aspect at the time but I just kept going. I'm happy for the results I got from putting in that hard work and would probably do it again because it's set me up for my long term goal of PhD, but there was a lasting impact in terms of feeling constantly tired for quite a while that I still have some problems with now.

Speaking of the general student at uni though they will still want to procrastinate even if they are doing a degree they like. As the above post said not everyone at uni is focused on studying all the time. Uni is a time where people want to enjoy their early 20s as well with going to social events and just generally enjoying the experience. It's not necessary to study 24/7 if you are wanting to get a job after uni as credits to distinctions are usually good enough marks for that respect.

Habshi

HSC
To be honest I didn't really have many slumps during HSC because I was highly motivated at the time from the several factors I mentioned in that post. However, at uni I have experienced slumps sometimes. You have to force yourself to start studying and after that usually the urge to procrastinate goes away. There are strategies other people use though like turning off notifications from social media, making a timetable or set of activities to complete for the day in certain time periods.
thanks heaps g

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
Did you go to Sydney grammar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)