How many hours for the year 9 yearly (1 Viewer)

nathanf

HSC
lovehateschool - As everyone on this forum reiterates to me though, there is no direct link between people doing well in lower years and people doing well in the final exams. I purely want to do well now and don't ask me why I just want to. flicking through the book works for some people. I'm not one of them.
Well I did terribly until year 12 and I'm glad I was lazy in earlier years as they meant nothing, and contributing nothing towards my future as the tests I'm undergoing now will. Focus on your hobbies, social life and perhaps your study, but not necessarily what the school sets for you, find a passion for a subject you love and that will help you more in the future. Focusing on getting good marks in 9-11 is essentially worthless and will prove to be folly. As many friends I knew who were top of the year in earlier years aren't even average in the final years of school.

BTW, verbal recitation and impromptu verbal essays are the best. Summarise the information in your head that you just read and speak it to yourself.

dionb2014

HSC
What confuses me so much about HSC and ATAR is the fact that most people are learning these skills then it becomes more and more difficult to get an edge. Yes in an ideal world everyone could do well in the HSC but as it is a ranking aren't the most successful people at it just the people who find that edge on everyone else and exploit it?

nathanf

HSC
"(2014) atar aim - 99.95 happy with 98.75" Most humorous arrogance I've ever seen.

nathanf

HSC
What confuses me so much about HSC and ATAR is the fact that most people are learning these skills then it becomes more and more difficult to get an edge. Yes in an ideal world everyone could do well in the HSC but as it is a ranking aren't the most successful people at it just the people who find that edge on everyone else and exploit it?
There's some sense in your waffle there. Everyone can go good in tests but not everyone can get a good ranking, as its merely an indicator of how well you did over other people.

That's just the competitive nature of society, and in your early years something as meager as test and assesment results merged together for a period of twelve months, and a number indicating your position in your state for how well you did in comparison to other people can greatly affect where you are going to be in a few years time in society. At least where you will be in regards to University/Course.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I find it very humorous that you have a 2014 ATAR goal up-esp the happy with 98.75 part.

Well if you have the work ethic to back this all up, then good luck to you. Just make sure you don't peak too early/burn out. But honestly, junior work is really different from senior work, so you have to understand that. Junior school, rote learning can get you much further.

nathanf

HSC
Haha I find it very humorous that you have a 2014 ATAR goal up-esp the happy with 98.75 part.

Well if you have the work ethic to back this all up, then good luck to you. Just make sure you don't peak too early/burn out. But honestly, junior work is really different from senior work, so you have to understand that. Junior school, rote learning can get you much further.

The arrogance is in the fact that you would be 'happy' with 1.25 smaller than the highest possible atar. As in that's something easily achieved and only acceptable.

dionb2014

HSC
lovehateschool - I don't even understand how that would be humorous but anyway. I am asking this question purely in an attempt not to peak too early. I asked what I should do as I was asking for an estimate for year 9 and I did include that I don't want to do excessive amounts.
I'll change my signature for you guys.

nathanf

HSC
haha, keep it as it was so I can remember this moment.

To not burn to early. Focus on your social life and hobbys, they are as necesary for your future as your academic ability. Do well for confidence, but don't even study more than 1 hour a day, start doing a decent amount in year eleven and work hard all of year twelve if you want the marks you think you can achieve. Nothing counts towards your entrance to University besides year 12,and to do well in it you have to not hate school by that time, so focus on keeping a healthy mind and body and only start putting in effort in yr 11. Don't even try to go great in yr 9/10. Aim for Good marks at best.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
0 Hours...
If you paid attention in class then it should be fine!

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC
year 9 AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
don't even bother going to school.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
I literally did no study at all in year 9. I didn't study the night before, the period before. I did nothing.
Please stop joking about this stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)