how many hours do you work per month? (1 Viewer)

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
sugaryblue said:
Hi Orange Juice!! long time no see :D how are you?????

whoaaa... do you mind telling me which uni offers that. thanks :D
Life sucks as usual, yourself? What countries have you visited now? (im bout to read your blog actually)

Well i go to Macquarie, but im sure alot of other unis offer it too. Depending on the degree and the type of person you are, you really dont need to go to classes. Heaps of my friends went to maybe less than 50% of the classes and all passed with flying colours. Of course we all do business/commerce, but as i said it depends on what you want to do. I know that a fair few of our lectures are now online, though external students may use something different as internet isnt available everywhere.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
52hrs/month durin full time uni

120/month during holiday break

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
stephey-luvcows said:
Hey

I try to work around 5 to 10 hours per week but i try to get time off near assesments are due so like the weekend befor just in case i havent started yet.

ahhh jeez this year i hate the schoolkids who do that. i'm at uni now which is a LOT more assignments (which require a lot more reading and independent thought, i'm doing one now hehe) and i work 5-7 days a week (btwn 25-45 hours now, more before uni started). yet there's people in yr 11 who act like they're soooo busy and can only possibly do one shift a week and i'm like OH FUCK OFF AND DIE.
it's because of them i have to work so much and not only am i not getting enough sleep, i'm lazy as fuck and don't want to do it anymore. today was my first day off in forever.
anyway sorry this wasn't flaming you, but seriously, exams and stuff i understand but i think you should get used to working a bit more in downtimes, because trust me, you're going to finish high school, start working heeeeaps and get really run down and tired and then uni will start and you'll realise you're an adult and have no excuses anymore.
of course i say this 2 weeks in, maybe soon i'll be handling it a bit better :| to think i was going to get another job. hahahahaha/

HSC
N/A
I think I work about 4 hours a week, over two "shifts" = about 16 hours a month. It's part-time and follows the school year.

Pretty good, I guess... I get a nice annual salary but it's JUST under the tax level ;)

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
glitterfairy said:
I think I work about 4 hours a week, over two "shifts" = about 16 hours a month. It's part-time and follows the school year.

Pretty good, I guess... I get a nice annual salary but it's JUST under the tax level ;)
where do you work? and what free stuff can i get for being your friend?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
glycerine said:
ahhh jeez this year i hate the schoolkids who do that. i'm at uni now which is a LOT more assignments (which require a lot more reading and independent thought, i'm doing one now hehe) and i work 5-7 days a week (btwn 25-45 hours now, more before uni started). yet there's people in yr 11 who act like they're soooo busy and can only possibly do one shift a week and i'm like OH FUCK OFF AND DIE.
it's because of them i have to work so much and not only am i not getting enough sleep, i'm lazy as fuck and don't want to do it anymore. today was my first day off in forever.
anyway sorry this wasn't flaming you, but seriously, exams and stuff i understand but i think you should get used to working a bit more in downtimes, because trust me, you're going to finish high school, start working heeeeaps and get really run down and tired and then uni will start and you'll realise you're an adult and have no excuses anymore.
of course i say this 2 weeks in, maybe soon i'll be handling it a bit better :| to think i was going to get another job. hahahahaha/
School kids hardly get awesome wages. We have had this guy at my work, through yr 11-12, and he is on peanuts...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Ummm, I get like $2/hr more than I did through yr 11 and 12, the person I was specifically ranting about is in yr 11 and is 16 so he probably gets $3-4 less, I dunno. anyway it's pretty much what I was earning when I was 16, we all had to go through it, and it's not like my wages are great now.

but anyway, that was completely besides the point of what I said.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I wrote a whole thing but have just decided that the only thing I really want to say is that I don't think there is a problem with school kids wanting time off because they have more contact hours than most uni students so they also have less time to do their assignments. Uni students take time off for assignments as well.

It's also because you're first year so things will get easier when you get used to how uni works. It's also because you're working some crazy hours!

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
glycerine said:
Ummm, I get like $2/hr more than I did through yr 11 and 12, the person I was specifically ranting about is in yr 11 and is 16 so he probably gets $3-4 less, I dunno. anyway it's pretty much what I was earning when I was 16, we all had to go through it, and it's not like my wages are great now.

but anyway, that was completely besides the point of what I said.
Well, relative to higher wages, it might be more attractive to take time off work, to study/etc.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
iambored said:
I wrote a whole thing but have just decided that the only thing I really want to say is that I don't think there is a problem with school kids wanting time off because they have more contact hours than most uni students so they also have less time to do their assignments. Uni students take time off for assignments as well.

It's also because you're first year so things will get easier when you get used to how uni works. It's also because you're working some crazy hours!
But, a fulltime uni student is "supposed" to be doing 40 hours per week on their uni work. Yeah, we may have lower contact hours, but that doesn't mean we have less work than school kiddies

(ha, thats the theory, anyway).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
(ha, thats the theory, anyway).
You got it right there ;)
I know we are supposed to, but as we all know, it doesn't quite work out that way.
Kids spend 30 hours / week at school. I'm sure they do more than 10 hours homework and assignments per week at home. I think it would be more like 10-15 hours of homework and another 5-10 on assignments. They're already beating us on our total 40 hours right there.

Skeeta

HSC
i think that thing totally depends on the degree

you cannot expect that a medical student does 40hrs a week as does an arts student

HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
where do you work? and what free stuff can i get for being your friend?
I work as a dance teacher in the hornsby area. Whilst the job pays VERY nicely, sometimes it can be an absolute pain in the butt - little kids can suck sometimes when you're trying to teach them something and all they want to do is go outside and play (parents... don't sign your kids up for dance class unless they actually want to be there!!). There's a lot of emotional involvement in my job... :( There are also a lot of "unpaid" hours when I'm running around trying to get the right version of songs, or trying to have them edited, then I also have to choreograph. So I guess it's more like 6 hours of work a week... at max ;) So still not too bad.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
iambored said:

that's fair enough, but part of the reason I'm working crazy hours (this week in particular, ie the week before I have *five* assignments due) is because of a high school kid... who can't do the saturday shift for whatever reason, probably to go to a party or something :rolleyes: like, I understand, he doesn't give a shit about coles, and frankly neither do I but at the same time it's not like working in service where there's basically always someone who can cover your shift and one person doesn't make a huuuge difference anyway.
he's a shithead anyway; yesterday I told (well, actually, asked) him to wash the windows and he did about a third of what he had to do so I wound up staying an extra 30 mins so that the fulltime girl could close on time.

LynH1326

HSC
at the moment, i'm doing the HSC and working as a casual at target (been there 4 months... which is ok as work fits my study and social life)
i work between 8-12 hours a week... so roughly 40 hours a month (as advised by school so as to fit school, assignments and social life).
as of october, i'm ditching work for the hsc and holidays and then going back in december.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)