How long should it take to make notes? (1 Viewer)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Sorry, not intending to trade. Made these notes from scratch without the use of any other notes. I guess it marks the amount of work I've done and is something I can reflect on at the end of the HSC based on my mark I receive :)
</3 But tbh, 50 pages of notes on the first topic is too much. Good luck memorising it. O.O

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It really depends, it took me ages sometimes for subjects I had no idea about E.g. Ancient history because there's really no definite material for a dotpoint.

dunjaaa

HSC
I memorise by applying the knowledge through doing questions. Gradual process of becoming ingrained in memory throughout the course of the year :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is not about how much time you spend making your notes, but it really is about finding an ideal method of memorising and understanding to apply the content learnt effectively. For example, people might use visual images and mind maps to make notes, so for them, it might take a lot less time. There really is no optimal time-it is dependent on the individual and one should always strive to find a study method that optimises one's concentration and alertness.

Hombad

HSC
Personally it can take me anywhere from 40 mins- 1.5 hours per dot point as I handwrite my notes. I find this to be very time consuming as i try to write it as neat as I can. I've been making notes almost everyday after school (except for the days leading up to assessment tasks) and I'm somewhat behind. In physics I haven't started on the 4th section in space "Current and emerging understanding about time and space has been dependent upon earlier models of the transmission of light", in bio i'm 4 dot points away from finishing (excluding the 2nd hand investigations in the 3rd section), in business i'm 5 dot points away from finishing. In addition to this, i'm typing this up to a word doc which eats more time. My main concern is that I wont have any time to actually re-read my notes to revise. I have found that handwriting my notes has helped me memorise content easier so instead do you guys think it would be better to type it on a word document first, then write on paper 1-2 times (without caring about neatness etc.)?
Seems like you're doing way too much work bud :p You should only write notes to the extent that you lay out any info you cannot memorise quickly/through a couple of repetitions, and work on learning that. I don't think having huge pages of notes is helpful in the slightest, but that's just my opinion anyway.

I think oral/group discussion study sessions (by learning/teaching syllabus dot points to one another in your own words, you force yourselves to learn as opposed to rewriting out a textbook) and also having quote/evidence lists for the humanities, is the best way to study for the HSC.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Seems like you're doing way too much work bud :p You should only write notes to the extent that you lay out any info you cannot memorise quickly/through a couple of repetitions, and work on learning that. I don't think having huge pages of notes is helpful in the slightest, but that's just my opinion anyway.

I think oral/group discussion study sessions (by learning/teaching syllabus dot points to one another in your own words, you force yourselves to learn as opposed to rewriting out a textbook) and also having quote/evidence lists for the humanities, is the best way to study for the HSC.
well i was that person in yr 11 who didn't do crap and consequently did very poorly. for me that was a big wake up call so i'm going all out this year.

for your group discussion study sessions, how many people were in there and how often did you participate in this? was this done over at school or skype?

Just buy or find notes that you trust
well i write my notes based of 3-4 other sets of notes so yea.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)