How long did u/do u think u should spend on ur major project?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey Guys
Just interested to know how long u actually spent or reckon you'll spend on your multimedia major project and I'm not talking wat u wrote down in your folio (cause otherwise I'd be nearly done!!!).
I'm interested cause our teacher said "300 hours minimum!!!" but for someone like me 300 hours is hard since i do 5 other subjects and, for me at least, these subjects are quite difficult. I'm still aiming for a decent mark in mult though so post up your commitment timewise here.........
For me........I do a little work in class plus I've started doin bout 5 hours on the weekend so about 50 or so hours and I'm planning to do more every week now...At least thats the plan. :)

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Thats crazy.

I remember getting 97 for my major multimedia task...it was a a group task (3 peeps) and we put in max 20 hours each. Your teacher's just bluffing - i mean, you don't really think the rest of your class is going to do more than 30... Show that biznatch up! ;)

HSC
Group project? we did that sought of thing for yr11. Did you do that thing for year 12? Times must've changed if you did cause now u can't do group projects.......
So ya reckon bout 50 hours total for the major project in year 12 should just about be enough??
Hope so cause 300 or even just 100 hours is a freagin joke especially considering how u still gotta do your other subjects as well..........

bekstah

HSC
N/A
whoa 97 for group proj, that is nice...
our groups were shocking, like for example group 1 only had one member who actually attended class regularly, so basically he had to do everything; group 2 basically no one listened to eachother - girls vs boys for the entire duration.
etcetc
most of us didnt even have a group folio...
needless to say the highest class mark for the group proj was 45 or something... =P
very bad, very bad indeed.

umm back on topic, timewise:
Murf said:
why do u have to spend a certain amount of hours? :-\ i dunno ??

murf
what he said.

but i aim to put alot of effort into it, i also have another major proj based on PC usage, which again will involve alot of time consumption, i just hope i can manage my time efficiently :/

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
you should do Group work in Year 11 NOT Year 12
because your HSC mark should not be based on others work
Basically if you have a group member those behaviour/input to the group lowers YOUR mark you have grounds for appeal - and you should

and time spent on major work shouldnt be the deciding factor - you should have a marking guideline - a tick the box affair - so spend however long it needs to get each of those boxes completed.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Lwaxana said:
you should do Group work in Year 11 NOT Year 12
because your HSC mark should not be based on others work
Basically if you have a group member those behaviour/input to the group lowers YOUR mark you have grounds for appeal - and you should

and time spent on major work shouldnt be the deciding factor - you should have a marking guideline - a tick the box affair - so spend however long it needs to get each of those boxes completed.
the syllabus says group or individual work is acceptable
im worried but coz we still havent got our major project yet! we get it next term and it will be due in week 8!
is 8 weeks enough 2 do it?!
thats assuming we get it on the 1st week

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
you miss the point about what the syllabus says, what sane caring teachers do and what disgruntled students whose HSC marks are poorly effected CAN do

my students have had their 4 assessments since Year 12 Day 1 2004
even though assessment task 4 isnt due to Term 3 2005

am over teachers who make their students jump through hoops or even worse make them guess what is needed to gain 100%

so joe_m_2000 it will HAVE to be enough time .. otherwise you have a right to complain

HSC
Yeah, that was what i was surprised about when i heard group work in year 12 in 1997.........
And what?! You don't get to start your major project till next term??!!! Isn't it like, worth a third or something in your HSC???
We got our sheet and got told to start ours from day one. I haven't done all that much but still.......we get the whole year.
btw i'm not exactly sure if its different from school to school but with ours in year 12 you get to choose what you want to do your m.p on. So my advice if, for some strange reason you haven't been 'allowed' to start it, which i can't imagine why cause m.p is mainly what we do, just make sure it is a choice and start it anyway asap, if you think you'll need more time. I've got the m.p marking guideline so just request it here if you want it or pm me.
Cheers.

goan_crazy

HSC
Marcus Aurelius said:
Yeah, that was what i was surprised about when i heard group work in year 12 in 1997.........
And what?! You don't get to start your major project till next term??!!! Isn't it like, worth a third or something in your HSC???
We got our sheet and got told to start ours from day one. I haven't done all that much but still.......we get the whole year.
btw i'm not exactly sure if its different from school to school but with ours in year 12 you get to choose what you want to do your m.p on. So my advice if, for some strange reason you haven't been 'allowed' to start it, which i can't imagine why cause m.p is mainly what we do, just make sure it is a choice and start it anyway asap, if you think you'll need more time. I've got the m.p marking guideline so just request it here if you want it or pm me.
Cheers.
see our major we only get a term
its worth 30% as well!
so its gonna b really hectic next term!
we def wont get it this term as we hav 1/2 yearlies in the last 2 weeks!

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Dont lose sleep over it
basically you have enough "experts" here on BOS to help you through whatever it is
concentrate on your 1/2 yearlies ..thats what scholarships and pre-selections are based on

goan_crazy

HSC
Lwaxana said:
Dont lose sleep over it
basically you have enough "experts" here on BOS to help you through whatever it is
concentrate on your 1/2 yearlies ..thats what scholarships and pre-selections are based on
:eek: r u serious-scholarships and pre-selections are based on 1/2 yearlies!
how do u apply for scholarships?!

Trev

stix
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
:eek: r u serious-scholarships and pre-selections are based on 1/2 yearlies!
how do u apply for scholarships?!
I was just looking at scholarships just then.
Go to the websites of universities you are interested in, if you cannot find mention of scholarships on the main page, just do a quick search.
They have lists of scholarships the university provides, some determined purely on academic performance. Others have the inclusion of extra-curricular activities, attitude towards school and what-not.

Scanorama

HSC
I spent 3 days (total of 6 hours) on my major IPT project. I got 88%, came top of the class

HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
I spent 3 days (total of 6 hours) on my major IPT project. I got 88%, came top of the class
lol Nice.... gw to get that mark with such an astounding effort.......

7th Sign

HSC
overall i spent like well over 8 full weeks doing my project....

im talking about 10 hours a week so around 80 hours

my end project was very very nice...

we had to make a full custom movie and do all the editing our teacher went full crazy to make us all do these perfect projects in the end i got like 98% but :)

harvestcows

HSC
the website part of the project you would only need to spend maximum 6 hours since it is done in frontpage and you are provided with all material that you are permitted to use. Frames, templates and more complex javascript programming within a web page are also not allowed.

the written portiion of the project however...probably would take at least 30 hours and i've been doing it for around 40 minutes per day for 2 weeks already and jotting down ideas that come into my head on the train

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)