• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How Japanese is marked... (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Maybe this should be in another forum...but I'm sure some Jap veterans here can answer this:

The CSU HSC website says that the speaking exam is work 20 marks. That means that the exam is worth 80 marks (na duh), going by this if you got say 85% in your speaking (17) wouldn't you have to get 80+ to get over say 97...and the exam's only out of 80..so do they somehow reduce your mark back down to 80 and then add speaking. Does anyone know how this works?

I don't know, I guess the main question is does this in effect make it harder to get a Band 6 in a language than another subject. Or, do they have some weird way of scaling it or...geez, I don't know <-- and I guess that's why I'm asking this question.

Oh, and why not chuck in another question for good measure. How hard is it to get 18+ in the speaking exam? If it is, and you mess up speaking - does that mean the prospect of a Band 6 is pretty much completely dead?

Platinum

HSC
If you get a Band 6, obviously it doesn't mean you got a mark of 90. It means you achieved Band 6 requirements for the course. This has always confused me, and I do not get why we can't just get raw marks, as the marks are then scaled again by UAC anyway.

As for Japanese, I think it works like this. Say if you get 14/20 for speaking and 60/80 for the written part, your mark becomes 74/100. You don't however ever get seperate marks back.

On a random note, last year, only 19% of people got a Band E4 for Extension, as opposed to more than 42% in 2005. Continuers average also fell slightly from 79 to 77. I don't know what that means for people like us tho...

HSCのしけんがんばって!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)