• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how it ends (1 Viewer)

how

• nukes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • peak oil

• global warming

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • total economic collapse

• religous thing

• something from outer space (please specify)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • biological

• chemical

• other

• it wont

• Total voters

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Fuck Jason has said his zombie plan involves going out in a blaze of glory.

And I'm like "oh great thanks. It'll just be me surviving in the unit with a month's supply of beef jerky, and an endless supply of pigeons and lorikeets"

Garygaz

HSC
over population, running out of natural resources, proxy wars to try and get remaining resources. welcome to a world like the book of eli.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Sun will to envelop the Earth.

But Nth Korea would of nuked everyone by then.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The only possible way for humanity to end is some larger astrophysical phenomenon (vacuum metastability event, nearby star going supernova, aggressive aliens, etc) and even that's unlikely.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah, he's obviously talking about how civilisation ends.

I chose economic collapse because it seems the most likely to occur, though perhaps not total destruction.

I believe that is is not unlikely in the next couple of centuries for an atlas shrugged like scenario to occur; not necessarily the whole "going on strike part", just that as there is more and more government control and debt and less freedom and production, we will eventually reach a breaking point where it will all collapse, and there will be anarchy (in the perjorative) and wars etc

but idk really

ubernuton

HSC
personaly i rekon we will begin to run out of oil, this will lead to totaly economic collapse, wars will start for the remains of the oil, someone will make a desperate desision to use and nuke or another weapon of mass destruction, everyone else joins in the party and everything dies (or almost everything)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I suppose it is difficult to imagine a situation where *everyone* dies.

Would all-out nuclear war kill everyone? Would those in the arseholes of the world survive?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
personaly i rekon we will begin to run out of oil, this will lead to totaly economic collapse, wars will start for the remains of the oil, someone will make a desperate desision to use and nuke or another weapon of mass destruction, everyone else joins in the party and everything dies (or almost everything)
ugh i was about to make a post about why that option is stupid.

as oil becomes more and more scarce, the price will rise. People will buy less of it, and as a result alternative technologies will emerge because it will become more and more beneficial to use alternatives as oil becomes more expensive

It's not just going to be all sailing along as normal and then OMG NO OIL LEFT ITS CHAOS ; _ ;

ubernuton

HSC

as oil becomes more and more scarce, the price will rise. People will buy less of it, and as a result alternative technologies will emerge because it will become more and more beneficial to use alternatives as oil becomes more expensive

It's not just going to be all sailing along as normal and then OMG NO OIL LEFT ITS CHAOS ; _ ;
ok you name me one thing we have at the moment even if it is in early stages, that can do every oil can and is plentiful

HSC
N/A

I don't think you understand, you moronic twat. This isn't some economic thing - its a science thing.

- Fertiliser needs oil. Without CH4, you get no H2. With no H2 you get no NH3. Without NH3 you get no fertiliser and without any fertiliser there's about enough fertile and arable land to feed a fraction of the world's population.

- Medicine needs oil. In fact, all petrochemicals do. These things don't grow on trees (with the exception of opium I suppose, which needs to be fertilised)

- The ONLY option for liquid fuel is oil.

- Mining? Needs oil. Ever seen a mine in motion?

Civilisation as a whole won't end but there sure as fuck won't be 6.5 billion people around in a hundred years time or so, and life will be a whole lot different. I think that fits the definition.

But lets not focus on that - THE FREE MARKET WILL SAVE US.

HSC
N/A
It's ok kids. There might not be anything left to eat, but we have a bucket load of money!

ubernuton

HSC
I suppose it is difficult to imagine a situation where *everyone* dies.

Would all-out nuclear war kill everyone? Would those in the arseholes of the world survive?
that depends on alot of things, everybody wouldn't die in the blast alot of people would but not everyone, alot of people would die soon after from infections, then from bad radiation posoning, then famine, then after the radiation gets into the eco system it could take a few generations but chances are fairly good the human race goes extinct

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
ok you name me one thing we have at the moment even if it is in early stages, that can do every oil can and is plentiful
Oil will not be replaced with one thing. Oil has a multitude of uses and will be replaced with different things for different uses.

I don't think you understand, you moronic twat. This isn't some economic thing - its a science thing.

- Fertiliser needs oil. Without CH4, you get no H2. With no H2 you get no NH3. Without NH3 you get no fertiliser and without any fertiliser there's about enough fertile and arable land to feed a fraction of the world's population.

- Medicine needs oil. In fact, all petrochemicals do. These things don't grow on trees (with the exception of opium I suppose, which needs to be fertilised)

- The ONLY option for liquid fuel is oil.

- Mining? Needs oil. Ever seen a mine in motion?

Civilisation as a whole won't end but there sure as fuck won't be 6.5 billion people around in a hundred years time or so, and life will be a whole lot different. I think that fits the definition.

But lets not focus on that - THE FREE MARKET WILL SAVE US.
The vast majority of oil is currently used in the generation of electricity and the fueling of transportation equipment.

xroilprice.com/images/Oil_Uses.jpg

As you can see from the graph above, 68% of oil use is for transportation (mostly for powering automobiles). This can almost all be replaced with alternatives using existing technology which is constantly getting cheaper.

As oil prices rise, people will switch to alternatives that do exist such as nuclear and solar power, electric cars and rail.

This will leave a lot of oil for the most "essential uses" such as in pharmaceuticals and fertilizer production, leaving us plenty of time to figure out alternatives or modify our consumption habits.

As for jet fuel, its hardly a necessity. More and more business can be conducted via video conference, and travel can be done by high speed rail. Worst case scenario is really just a situation of inconvenience where overseas trips must be done by ships.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

Exactly. It's an equilibrium process.

Further, oil will never really run out (OK, maybe in a few hundred or thousand years). As it becomes more expensive, it will be used less, meaning those uses for which it is harder to find replacements (e.g. plastics) will have greater access to it.

Last edited:

ar7

HSC
as einstein said:

if the 3rd world war is fought with nuclear weapons, the 4th will be fought with bows and arrows

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)