How is the workload of 4U math and history extension? (1 Viewer)

Aegeus

HSC
I'll have a full 12 units if I do both subjects next year, so I'm worried. It seems like not many people do this combination since I can't find much online. How is the workload? Do you regret doing both? Thanks!

zizi2003_

HSC
I'll have a full 12 units if I do both subjects next year, so I'm worried. It seems like not many people do this combination since I can't find much online. How is the workload? Do you regret doing both? Thanks!
I do Hist Ext but not math, and honestly I'd only recommend taking it if you're really really passionate about History (and also have an area of interest that you want to explore in your major work) AND reading (we get tons of readings to do).
I'd also recommend checking out the past papers for Hext and how they look like (it's not content heavy at all imo, but your essays need to be really well-researched which takes a lot of time and readings).
It's also important to know that the crux of this subject is on historiography and not on history - one of my friends chose Hext thinking it was going to be an extension of historical events/personalities, but was disappointed to know it wasn't.
One of my friends also does 4U Eng + Hext, and it's working fine for her because she's passionate about reading/writing. But I'm not too sure with how it'll work out with 4U Math...

Good luck!

Aegeus

HSC
I do Hist Ext but not math, and honestly I'd only recommend taking it if you're really really passionate about History (and also have an area of interest that you want to explore in your major work) AND reading (we get tons of readings to do).
I'd also recommend checking out the past papers for Hext and how they look like (it's not content heavy at all imo, but your essays need to be really well-researched which takes a lot of time and readings).
It's also important to know that the crux of this subject is on historiography and not on history - one of my friends chose Hext thinking it was going to be an extension of historical events/personalities, but was disappointed to know it wasn't.
One of my friends also does 4U Eng + Hext, and it's working fine for her because she's passionate about reading/writing. But I'm not too sure with how it'll work out with 4U Math...

Good luck!
Good points, thank you for replying. Luckily our teacher informed us of the content, so I'm aware of the historiography but I'll definitely have to think it over more. I really enjoy research/writing and reading, but I'm not sure I have an exact area of history I'm passionate about (just an interest). Was your area of interest something you've already studied extensively by yourself before Year 12?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Mathematics Extension 2 is known to be a difficult and time-consuming subject. You should only consider taking Mathematics Extension 2 if you are 100% sure you can successfully cope with its content. A good way of doing this would be to consider your performance in Mathematics Extension 1 throughout year 11. I think that if Mathematics Extension 2 alone is a quite demanding subject, taking History Extension in addition to it will likely make coping with both subjects a challenging task.

However, as was mentioned above, it seems like taking History Extension along with Mathematics Extension 2 may not be as bad of a combination as you think (provided you are regularly studying and staying up to date with Mathematics Extension 2 content) due to the fact that it is not a content-heavy subject, but more about extensive research and well-written responses.

I hope this helps! 😄

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
4U is pretty chill until it's not. If you genuinely enjoy maths and know your stuff, it's a pretty safe option. Also scaling...

windebygirl

HSC
hiiiiiiiiii i'm on 12 units doing 4u math and hist ext
100% worth it - workload actually isn't that bad, obviously it's stressful at times but you could say that about literally any yr 12 subjects
do it - and lmk if u have any questions
they're my 2 favourite subjects, so if you're considering them, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll love them too
do it!!!!!!!!!

specificagent1

HSC

Good luck!
Agree with this 100%. A lot of time into your major work but hella fun and interesting learning about academic history

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)