How is the ATAR calculated with 11 (or another uneven number) units? (1 Viewer)

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
A number of people are asking how do they calculate your UAI when you have 11 units (or another uneven number).

E.g.:

How is the UAI calculated across 11 units?? i mean, i understand that if you have 12, one subject (the one you recieved the least marks in) is not counted. But what is the scenario when you only have 11?
A student's UAI is a rank which is based on an aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units of UAI courses comprising:
- their best two units of English
- their best eight units from their remaining units, which can include up to two units of Category B courses.

When they calculate your UAI they count the units which would advantage you most (this is done by computer). This is not necessarily your highest HSC marks, but the ones which would give you the higher UAI.

If they are only counting one unit of a two unit subject the mark is halved. This is because each unit is worth 50 marks. So 70% in a 2 unit subject would be 2 x 35 so if only one unit of this subject was to count it would be 1 x 35.

:
Each subject is worth x number of units (mostly 2).

Each unit is worth 50 marks.

Therefore for each 2 unit course you have 2 equal marks /50.

Thus is it the 10 best unit marks out of 50 that are used e.g.

2 unit English - 80% = 2 x 40
2 unit Maths - 90% = 2 x 45
2 unit Modern - 96% =2 x 48
2 unit Geography - 94% = 2 x 47
2 unit Society - 88% = 2 x44
1 unit SOR - 46

Therefore - 2 units of English (2 x 40), 2 units of Modern (2 x 48), 2 units of Geography (2 x 47) , 1 unit SOR (1 x 46), 2 units of Maths (2 x 45) and 1 unit of Society (1 x 44) would count.

Hoopah

HSC
Re: How is the ATAR calculated when you have 11 (or another uneven number) units?

So if it only takes your 2 best units of english, then my ext. english and my adv. english course would get devided, rather then taking all three of those units and say only half of my biology course?

E.G
2 unit English - 90% = 2 x 45%
1 unit English - 90% = 1 x 90%
2 unit Biology - 60% = 2 x 30%

im forced to take both of my half biology marks and required to drop one of my 45% english marks to make room for my ext. english mark? or will i only take one of my 30% biology marks and keep all of my three english marks?

- ju-li3n -

HSC
Re: How is the ATAR calculated when you have 11 (or another uneven number) units?

thankyou, that was really very useful.

Aux7

HSC

what about the scaling of units?
For example i'm doing mathematics and extension mathematics
and i have heard that by simply doing extension maths your 2 unit math marks
will automatically be pushed / scaled up independent of the mark you recieve for
extension maths.

Thanks.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

what about the scaling of units?
For example i'm doing mathematics and extension mathematics
and i have heard that by simply doing extension maths your 2 unit math marks
will automatically be pushed / scaled up independent of the mark you recieve for
extension maths.

Thanks.
false.

each subject has it's own scaling, however most people doing extension 1 are likely to do better ar advanced, hence getting a better mark, where scaling wont affect the mark too much (i.e. dragging you down).

Aux7

HSC

false.

each subject has it's own scaling, however most people doing extension 1 are likely to do better ar advanced, hence getting a better mark, where scaling wont affect the mark too much (i.e. dragging you down).
ahh ok thx, that clears up a lot

HSC

What happens with the englishes?

Can they include all four units, or do they only choose the best two?

If they only choose the best two...then what a waste of time.

vair confuse

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

So if it only takes your 2 best units of english, then my ext. english and my adv. english course would get devided, rather then taking all three of those units and say only half of my biology course?

E.G
2 unit English - 90% = 2 x 45%
1 unit English - 90% = 1 x 90%
2 unit Biology - 60% = 2 x 30%

im forced to take both of my half biology marks and required to drop one of my 45% english marks to make room for my ext. english mark? or will i only take one of my 30% biology marks and keep all of my three english marks?
They will take three English and one Biology - the best two units of English are used and then the best 8 units, which can include more English.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

What happens with the englishes?

Can they include all four units, or do they only choose the best two?

If they only choose the best two...then what a waste of time.

vair confuse

Yes - they will take the best two units of English first and then use the next 8 best units which can, and frequently does for those who do it, include more English.

They have to do that when some kids do 4 units of English as part of only doing 10 units in which case all four have to count.

JustJackie

HSC
Uni Grad

You will have the 10 best units counted (2 must be English, these include extensions. So if you have 11 units and Eng Adv is your worst, only half of the English Adv will count).

If your other Englishes are in the top 10 units as well, they will also be counted. So if you had 11 units your worst subject was Ancient History whilst you were doing 4U English, then half of Ancient will count, and all four units of English will count.

Scaling does count for something. They tell you to do subjects you're interested in because it's assumed that you'll do best at them. This was true for my Legal Studies in Year 11 (89), which subsequently became a 82 in Year 12 HSC mark and not counting towards my HSC when I lost interest. Admitably, I only studied a few days for LS HSC (with an 86 examination, and a 76 internal which didn't align well or scale well due to the subject).

On the other hand, my English Extension (which I did not expect to count, due to my internal of 67%), received 38 HSC Mark (42/50 examination mark) after two hours of study. I'm waffling on, but I'll get to the point.

38 ENGEXT>82LS in scaling. Despite me trying much harder in one than the other. Scaling does count for something, however if you do well in it with, let's say 85+ (with 'better subjects' scaling higher ofc, like a 2U Maths 85 might be scaled to 90 whilst a General Maths 85 might be scaled to 86), it'll usually scale well and you won't have to worry about scaling at all. Unless of course it's something like Graphics, IST, Art or Music 1...

Last edited:

hhhbui

HSC

You will have the 10 best units counted (2 must be English, these include extensions. So if you have 11 units and Eng Adv is your worst, only half of the English Adv will count).

If your other Englishes are in the top 10 units as well, they will also be counted. So if you had 11 units your worst subject was Ancient History whilst you were doing 4U English, then half of Ancient will count, and all four units of English will count.

Scaling does count for something. They tell you to do subjects you're interested in because it's assumed that you'll do best at them. This was true for my Legal Studies in Year 11 (89), which subsequently became a 82 in Year 12 HSC mark and not counting towards my HSC when I lost interest. Admitably, I only studied a few days for LS HSC (with an 86 examination, and a 76 internal which didn't align well or scale well due to the subject).

On the other hand, my English Extension (which I did not expect to count, due to my internal of 67%), received 38 HSC Mark (42/50 examination mark) after two hours of study. I'm waffling on, but I'll get to the point.

38 ENGEXT>82LS in scaling. Despite me trying much harder in one than the other. Scaling does count for something, however if you do well in it with, let's say 85+ (with 'better subjects' scaling higher ofc, like a 2U Maths 85 might be scaled to 90 whilst a General Maths 85 might be scaled to 86), it'll usually scale well and you won't have to worry about scaling at all. Unless of course it's something like Graphics, IST, Art or Music 1...
Thank a lot - it's very good comment ----

fionarykim

HSC

do u think its possible
that i could do 4u maths
doing 12 units
and fail 4u maths, but do well in 3u and my 2u will be 100% so itd end up being a good mark? LOL
like my 4u doesnt count, but i still get 100 in 2u? LOOOL

noomi

HSC

ando08182

HSC

I am still really confused. I am doing 11 Units and I am doing Adv English, Bio, Chemisty, PDHPE, Modern History and SOR1. So what is halved and what isn't?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

The worst subject will be halved.

They take two units of English - so both of your Advanced English units will count.

Then they look at the next best 8 units which may or may not include SOR1.

If SOR 1 is you best unit and say PDHPE is your worst then only one unit of PD will count - but until all your marks are in, and the subjects are scaled by UAC, it is impossible to say which 8 of Bio, Chem, PDHPE, MH and SOR1 will count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)