• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How is Maths actually used in real life?!?? (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
When you become a janitor because you didn't do maths in the HSC you need to know how much soap and water you put in the bucket so you don't have to keep refilling it.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
When you become a janitor because you didn't do maths in the HSC you need to know how much soap and water you put in the bucket so you don't have to keep refilling it.

U r funny (no sarcasm)

braintic

HSC
N/A
You do realise the skills we write in essays are essentially transferrable to other mediums? Your teacher is right in saying that you should've learnt about writing essay in junior school - during that period of time, you should've had the meta-language pat down so you wouldn't be in a heap of trouble come year 12. However, I don't blame you for being ill-equipped, as it's probably either the student's fault or the junior course.
I can write a report with ease. But I would still not be able to write an essay to save my life. So no, I don't agree that the skills are transferable, except at a very rudimentary level.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I can write a report with ease. But I would still not be able to write an essay to save my life. So no, I don't agree that the skills are transferable, except at a very rudimentary level.
If you want to take anything from English, it's mostly just about developing structured writing of all types and learning to piece together a logical argument (which requires you to prove it properly rather than just submit an unsubstantiated opinion).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Saw a parent on an online form struggling with working out how much sand was needed to fill in a hexagon shaped sandbox :O
You'll end up using maths in some shape or form

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the critical and analytical thinking that is developed from the study of maths is used in many facets of our lives, and yes, obviously maths is used in many professional careers-often I think, by observing the examples in textbooks more closely, you will see maths has a lot of uses-for example, modelling of simple harmonic curves would enable one to calculate when is high tide and low tide and what is the time range that a ship can enter a harbour without being stranded or bumping into the bottom of a bridge, it can be used to calculate radiation half life, predict population growth and bacteria decay, it has countless uses-from economics to science, from engineering to medicine, and a lot of maths is actually used in the construction industry... even for the most ordinary individual, maths is used in making budgets, in calculating shopping expenses to ensure one is not getting ripped off by a clerical error, calculating home loan and interest rates and how much needs to be repayed on a weekly basis etc. The study of maths and mathematical theories, from the most simple(fractions is used in dividing a pizza into equal parts) to the most complex (prediction of trends in nature and criminal movements)pervades all aspects of our lives, which just highlights the many ways in which an appreciation and consistent application of maths and mathematical skills can enrich even the most mundane life:)

Ikki

HSC
It's used in many things. But since i'm more of a tech guy, i can contrubute a very interesting use for maths.
Encryption.
Everytime you log onto the big shot websites, google, yahoo etc. The data has to be encrypted, believe it or not, the base equation that the encryption is based on is something like y^2=x^2+somex+something. Ofcourse the equation is huge and the process really complex but nevertheless used in our lives everyday.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Everyday: you just need general really.

Careers: Depending on your line of work, you may use it all the time or never.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
So from all of this information I can conclude that maths is only completely useful if one chooses to pursue a career in Maths teaching or tutoring. Fair enough I suppose.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
So from all of this information I can conclude that maths is only completely useful if one chooses to pursue a career in Maths teaching or tutoring. Fair enough I suppose.
that's why you are going to be a fucking janitor who won't know how to put the right amount of water in their bucket

try and design a building or make a computer game without high level maths

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
My brother works as a software engineer at a world renowned defence company in Sydney. He graduated more than a decade ago at USYD studying B.Engineering in Telecommunications w/Hons Class I (with B.Commerce). He works on scientific computer based programs such as Matlab at his workplace to calculate areas that I wouldn't have a clue at (probably calculate the new weapon's velocity or something).

As far as I know, these mathematical computer programs aren't that easy to use and require great math knowledge, unless you're an expert. :)

I know weather forecasting systems use Matlab and/or Mathematica to display the nation's current, pressure etc.

Last edited:

ChillTime

HSC
Most people don't need maths beyond basic arithmetic, unless you plan on being an engineer/actuary/computer programmer/statistician/mathematician/physicist.

You can blab on about the beauty of maths, but there needs to be an honest response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyowJZxrtbg

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But the skills that maths teaches you, in problem solving, logic and creativity - are quite good. Especially being comfortable with numbers, in this era of information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)