how is Maq uni seen by employers (1 Viewer)

kkk

Iam thinking of doing commerce type course next year at MQ uni.
Is Maq uni recognised by employers? becoz i heard that
UNSW is most recognised in commerce area. (just someone's OPINION not mine)
and lots of people also go to USYD for the prestige..
but how is Maq commerce seen by public? (eg.well respected, ok, poor etc...)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i have heard, from people's opinions, in general macquarie uni is seen as fairly ok in the prestige sense, obviously not as well as unsw or usyd but since it's still a reputable uni employers see it as fine.

i stress, that's what i've heard. i haven't rang employers to ask them.

santaslayer

HSC
Quite reputable...

Ringing employers does nothing...they usually express things that are contradictory...unless you know the person...:)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'll get back to you when I finish my degree, and get a job (and you remind me again!). How about that? =p

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
If i was an employer... I would hire anyone, regardless of the university they went to ... I'de look at their university grades rather than the uni they went to. Because most clearly... if you went to UNSW you probably got a higher UAI than if you went to UWS, and as an employer I would appreciate the dedication it takes to get a high uai.

However uni grades and personality and work experience are more important.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
From my involvement in the actuarial student society, i have quite a few industry contacts. i'd say most employers don't really care what uni you came from. Academically, all they really care about is whether you have or will finish your degree. If there are exemptions you require on the way, you'll need to get those. Obviously having a HD average looks better than a Cr average. The prestige of the the uni is not important at all.

Furthermore, it's not even the academics they are conerned about (as long as you are on track to finish your degree). Recent CBA survey results show 4% of actuarial graduates were employed for their academic results, while 30% for their personality. And from personal experience, that is fully true. When you apply for jobs, if you're a smooth talker under pressure and you have extra curricular experiences to talk about then you're set.

So as you can see, what uni u goto is a very small part of the picture. I mean personally, I think employers think more about how pretty you look or how shiney ur shoes are then what uni u came from.

cr in accg

HSC
Commerce is just as reputable as USYD and UNSW. there's a strong commerce field at Macq

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
depends what degree
dreamcomenow said:
Iam thinking of doing commerce type course next year at MQ uni.
Is Maq uni recognised by employers? becoz i heard that
UNSW is most recognised in commerce area. (just someone's OPINION not mine)
and lots of people also go to USYD for the prestige..
but how is Maq commerce seen by public? (eg.well respected, ok, poor etc...)
Not sure if that could be an indicator to the possible fields of interest..

flamin'

UNSW is probably seen better coz they advertise a lot more and go around to firms to organise little UNSW band wagons (e.g. Co-op scholarship).

I think employers will recognise what uni you go to... I mean if you went to Harvard that says a bloody lot. If you went to uni of western sydney... that doesn't say much LOL =p jkjkjk But from UNSW, SYD and Macq - they are all pretty much similar: none of them are 'Harvards'.

felafel

i think that a high GPA from any uni will rate highly with any employer

but when comparing job applicants with similar GPAs BUT different unis, the ones with more prestige will win out

and then there's work experience and personality

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
AsyLum said:
Not sure if that could be an indicator to the possible fields of interest..
there is a red ribbon of tension between you two....:p

i'd say that employers have a positive response to macquarie. when i applied for an cadetship a year ago, i remember the hr manageer asking me what uni i was doing accounting at. when i replied mq, he response was quite positive. just the tone of her voice.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah it seems that alot of employers think highly of macquarie's commerce degrees.....

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
the more i think of it...
wot uni u goto is sumfin u can b proud of at family dinner parties. in the workforce no1 cares...and if sum1 did...they employ dozens if not hundreds of ppl and wouldve 4gotten where ur from

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
the more i think of it...
wot uni u goto is sumfin u can b proud of at family dinner parties.
for some reason i just thought of that ad where the family goes all silent and they all look at a guy funny because he says he works at a bank (st george ad??). If only saying you go to maq uni has that same effect.

aditya

HSC
that was just pointless...

anyway, i applied for a cadetship and they gave me a call (a realli weird one) the guy was acting hard to get right from the start, so i took that as a compliment haha, but then he goes which uni u going to, i said im thinking of unsw ( i was gonna do economics there and major in accounting) and he goes "we can only consider u for an INTERVIEW if u goto macquarie or UWS" - then i asked him if he ffelt there was a difference in education between the unis - he completely stumbled, started stuttering a bit and said unsw and usyd obviousli are more prestigious but uws is fine (in that annoying uws pride voice - thats right u know wat im talking about) and macquarie is good - if not prestigious.

if ur a broad person, then ur gonna get a job from any uni.... southern cross uni gets heaps of graduates going to mad positiosn with large aussie banks and also finance related jobs... goto the banks website and see for urself... there is one southern cross guy in every bank website lol....

but yeh, get a distinction average, do heaps of activities (broad ranged), fix up ur interview technique and u can get a job anywhere...

but the thing is, only say 500 people get jobs in the big 4 accoutning firms.... 3000 apply... i dno, but it seems to me that if 250 are from usyd, 250 are from unsw... ur gonna have to be damn good at mac or uws or uts to get a place...

im too tired to write anything meaningful right now so please excuse me :$ sorry

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
lol... why do unsw/uts people always talk about the big 4 as if it's the biggest and bestest thing in the world to do. there are better things to do than go big 4... GO BIG TWO!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yeah they work u like a dog for avg pay. And the spare time u have u brainstorm possible escape plans...well that's what I hear from a few people. I'm sure there are those that love it. And I guess it's not a bad place to start... but def not the be all and end all. And not recommended if you care about quality of life.

aabenk3

HSC
actuarial....master courseworks!

yooo...wazzap?once again im newbie round here!anyone,help! need information bout the MAC and Usyd...are they conducting master in actuarial studies?(silly question huh?) cause im from Indonesia, and dont know shit about both!(poor me) :( ..you guys, who came or study there!can yoiu help me?tell me bout it!bout the site, the tuition fee, bout the timeline of study there,anything that has 2 do with the mac,usyd or master of actuarial studies....pleazzzzeeee!cause i do want 2 continu my study, im holding B.science-math, and got sponsor(my company-insurance comp)to start a master course in actuarial areas....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)