How is everyone studying for engineering? (1 Viewer)

damothelegend

HSC
I find engineering a hard subject to be studying.
How is everyone doing theres? I've just been doing a load of past papers.

machine2035

HSC
N/A
Going through notes (written), checking through books (Excel, Copeland and 2 Schelcker) and doing past papers (mainly questions that involve calculations).

I plan on writing some notes about heat treatment, moulding processes and a few other things I struggle to remember to try and make them sink in.

Does anyone have information on site engineers - I always seem to repeat myself on these questions which ask about what their responbilities are etc.

Last edited:

damothelegend

HSC
Going through notes (written), checking through books (Excel, Copeland and 2 Schelcker) and doing past papers (mainly questions that involve calculations).

I plan on writing some notes about heat treatment, moulding processes and a few other things I struggle to remember to try and make them sink in.

Does anyone have information on site engineers - I always seem to repeat myself on these questions which ask about what their responbilities are etc.
I don't think you can really study that. I find it to be common sense, and hard monipulating of the question :/

P

pacey0006

Tried to study but me and my whole class got taught nothing over the last 2 years.. Its really bad but the teacher was to nice to us to say anything

aaron_syd

HSC
3u>engineering, since maths has bonus points for unsw. Engineering exams are hit or miss for me; when i see a question, its either i will know the answer, or i hav absolutely no clue. I'm counting on close to full marks in MC, Q11, drawing and calcs to make up for the bs responses in forming methods, heat treatments, choice of material etc.

vinhkn

HSC
Choice of material lol... When in doubt stick any two (reasonable) metals together and chuck in the word alloy. Unless it's dead easy like copper for electrical wires and optical fibres for data transmission, duralumin for modern airplanes etc etc.

vinhkn

HSC
And mechanics is all formula work and deciphering out all the necessary information. They usually give u an extra bit of info to throw you off sometimes.

BenBrownTown

HSC
Learn huge amount of content of materials as it is a majourity part of the paper and then get all the mechanics down as the state average every year hovers around 6-7/20

Last edited:

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
materials is not a huge part of the exam, it's only about 6 marks max out of the whole exam
there seems to be a lot of people struggling in engineering studies, l was the only one in my class to get an assessment mark above 50 (got near band 5)
the copeland book has a large amount of info that is completely useless. mainly the history section, which takes up more than half of the book. l haven't seen a question worth more than 3 marks in the exam on history, which can be from any of the modules.
what l've been doing this year is using the TAFE notes. they have a variety of examples on mechanics and cover almost everything on the materials, and have a wide range of drawings. plus they have stuff on engineers as managers etc which can be up to 10 marks in an exam.
of course, they are about 1000 pages but 800 of them are on the history.
if you look at the past papers, you will see that they repeat the questions over and over again, like the My/I questions and more recently those logic gates questions. they have to be looked up in the internet and l recommend understanding them because they are inevitably going to be in the papers for quite a while now.
we spent SO MUCH TIME on those true length things only to realise they're hardly ever in multiple choice questions.
the engineering course is too vast for the teacher to cover but they fail to realise the pattern of questions, which is why we have all learnt almost nothing in the past 2 years.
l reckon the questions on electricity are going to be the hardest and the ones on aeronautical and telecommunications the easiest.
>8 for drawing
<25 for calculations (averaged from last 10 papers)
<5 for testing (x rays & tensile etc)
>3 for forming processes
<10 for engineering management/reports/projects
<8 for materials
<6 on electricity
and about 20% will be on thinking up on the spot. l think it might ask a history question on trains or planes.

but like seriously, they need to make better books. well they probably will since they're changing the content next year, as in reducing.
the year 11's are lucky duckies.

aaron_syd

HSC
Anyways, at approx. 30-35 pages, this will be the longest exam most of us will have to endure! Good Luck for tomorrow guys!

BenBrownTown

HSC
materials is not a huge part of the exam, it's only about 6 marks max out of the whole exam
there seems to be a lot of people struggling in engineering studies, l was the only one in my class to get an assessment mark above 50 (got near band 5)
the copeland book has a large amount of info that is completely useless. mainly the history section, which takes up more than half of the book. l haven't seen a question worth more than 3 marks in the exam on history, which can be from any of the modules.
what l've been doing this year is using the TAFE notes. they have a variety of examples on mechanics and cover almost everything on the materials, and have a wide range of drawings. plus they have stuff on engineers as managers etc which can be up to 10 marks in an exam.
of course, they are about 1000 pages but 800 of them are on the history.
if you look at the past papers, you will see that they repeat the questions over and over again, like the My/I questions and more recently those logic gates questions. they have to be looked up in the internet and l recommend understanding them because they are inevitably going to be in the papers for quite a while now.
we spent SO MUCH TIME on those true length things only to realise they're hardly ever in multiple choice questions.
the engineering course is too vast for the teacher to cover but they fail to realise the pattern of questions, which is why we have all learnt almost nothing in the past 2 years.
l reckon the questions on electricity are going to be the hardest and the ones on aeronautical and telecommunications the easiest.
>8 for drawing
<25 for calculations (averaged from last 10 papers)
<5 for testing (x rays & tensile etc)
>3 for forming processes
<10 for engineering management/reports/projects
<8 for materials
<6 on electricity
and about 20% will be on thinking up on the spot. l think it might ask a history question on trains or planes.

but like seriously, they need to make better books. well they probably will since they're changing the content next year, as in reducing.
the year 11's are lucky duckies.
Man materials is usually a big part of the test, you usually have to take about replacement of materials, structure of materials, forming of materials, testing of materials ( so yeah materials is a big part), my distance education teacher, who is a engineering senior marker even told me so i think he would know

Dont forget that the drawing is 10 marks and there is general knowledge which is just ethics and engineers as managers ( Q11 )
electricity and telecommunications is generally a bitch.

Alot of people do struggle with engineering because no one teaches them correctly and the full extent of the course, im really glad I ended up in distance education because it gave me a full study of the whole course my resource books consisted of 300 pages a topic and ended up 1500 pages of notes, abit to indepth but for a whole years worth it is what is needed.

captainplanet7

HSC
N/A
Man materials is usually a big part of the test, you usually have to take about replacement of materials, structure of materials, forming of materials, testing of materials ( so yeah materials is a big part), my distance education teacher, who is a engineering senior marker even told me so i think he would know

Dont forget that the drawing is 10 marks and there is general knowledge which is just ethics and engineers as managers ( Q11 )
electricity and telecommunications is generally a bitch.

Alot of people do struggle with engineering because no one teaches them correctly and the full extent of the course, im really glad I ended up in distance education because it gave me a full study of the whole course my resource books consisted of 300 pages a topic and ended up 1500 pages of notes, abit to indepth but for a whole years worth it is what is needed.
i feel basically screwed. dude do you have any idea what i should focus on to get the highest marks i can?
like can you give me a list like the other guy of what you think the test comprises.

Washy_182

HSC
Pumped for the exams.

Going to do general maths, get a 95+ mark, and then do engineering and get a band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)