how is chem for prelim and HSC??? (1 Viewer)

How is chem in general

• Completely hate it

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Dull and boring

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Not favorable

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Its average, dont hate it, dont like it

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • its good and interesting

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • I bloody love it!!

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
im doing chem this year and next and wanna see how it is??? ne basic knowledge u need to know of?? eg equating equations etc?? and how is it during the HSC?

P

pLuvia

Better than Preliminary Chemistry :)

Preliminary Chemistry is assumed knowledge for HSC Chemistry. Preliminary Chemistry may get really boring in year 11, be warned

Riviet

HSC
N/A
As long as you're keeping up, doing your homework, reading through the texbook, memorise your chemical formulae, there is no reason why you can't succeed in chemistry. Much of the preliminary work, are the basics for the HSC course, so it is useful if you carry on all your knowledge from year 11 chemistry into the HSC course.

Chemistry is certainly fun and interesting for me, some of the pracs are great, especially the electrochemistry and ones that involve "burning shit". :D

I know Dreamerish*~ <3 chemistry. :lol:

Last edited:

whatdafork

HSC
HSC course is a lot more interesting than preliminary chem.

Practise writing equations down through out the year as it isn't exactly something you can just cram in. Kind of like maths, where you need to practise a lot. But I never did this for prelims, so I kind of suck at writing equations anyway.

You'll love chemistry so long as you understand it. I think it says something like that in Conq. Chem.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Year 11 is a lot of memory work. For example, remembering your solubility rules, formulae and names of compounds and polyatomic ions, etc. You are also taught the basics such as writing and balancing equations, and atomic structure.

It gets tedious at times, but it is important that you grasp these concepts in order to feel at ease in year 12. Some HSC students I tutor didn't focus well enough on their preliminary work, and have more trouble in year 12. Of course, if you really do screw up year 11 (like I did) it's never too late to hit the books during your HSC course.

The HSC course is more about applying logic to Chemistry and solving problems with your own knowledge. Much of the skills gained in year 11 is used in year 12. The HSC course is definitely more interesting. My favourite is Module 3 (Monitoring and Management). You'll find that year 12 Chemistry applies to everyday life a lot more frequently than year 11.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
agreed wholeheartedly with dreamerish*~. a lot of memory work, a couple of calculations and a little bit of logic applied as well. it can be tedious, but sometimes it can get interesting and many discussions can arise in class time.

experiments tend to be more 'formal', not where it used to be burning a lot of shit --> accuarcy, observation, measurements and consistency are now the key to doing experiments well.

again, u will be building upon all the theory, equations, and practical know-how u did in ur Yr 11 Prelim year, so if u are solid in ur fundamentals, then ur set for excelling in HSC Chemistry. Otherwise, doing well in HSC Chem will take some time.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Knowing your elements (first 20 is recommended), simple chemical formulae, and common compounds from years 7-10 science DOES help with prelim and HSC chemistry as they are the basics and becomes very useful as you will find out this year and onwards.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
agreed wholeheartedly with dreamerish*~. a lot of memory work, a couple of calculations and a little bit of logic applied as well. it can be tedious, but sometimes it can get interesting and many discussions can arise in class time.

experiments tend to be more 'formal', not where it used to be burning a lot of shit --> accuarcy, observation, measurements and consistency are now the key to doing experiments well.

again, u will be building upon all the theory, equations, and practical know-how u did in ur Yr 11 Prelim year, so if u are solid in ur fundamentals, then ur set for excelling in HSC Chemistry. Otherwise, doing well in HSC Chem will take some time.
OMGsh your tutoring is so cheap. It makes me feel like I'm ripping people off.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
people say that physics and chem is not a good mix, is that true??? and is there ne other subject that doesnt work well with chem??

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
drynxz said:
people say that physics and chem is not a good mix, is that true??? and is there ne other subject that doesnt work well with chem??
By "not a good mix", they probably mean that Phys and Chem are not very relevant to each other, and therefore won't help you out as much as if you did a combination of Bio and Chem.

Also, both subjects are time-consuming if you want to do well.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
well this year im doing...Chem, Agriculture -_-, Phys, Economics, Maths ext 1, English Advance....do you see ne dangerous mixes there that will give me hell during the prelims and HSC?? and should i drop ne particular subject to make year 12 more easier??

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
drynxz said:
well this year im doing...Chem, Agriculture -_-, Phys, Economics, Maths ext 1, English Advance....do you see ne dangerous mixes there that will give me hell during the prelims and HSC?? and should i drop ne particular subject to make year 12 more easier??
That's 11 units, right?

You shouldn't have problems with those. People who do MX2 often have trouble balancing their time. The only subject you can drop is MX1, and that's probably not worth dropping because it kind of "blends in" with Mathematics.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
no thats 13 units---meaning offline morning course at 8:00am :(
so i wake up early one day and then late the other -_-

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
drynxz said:
no thats 13 units---meaning offline morning course at 8:00am :(
so i wake up early one day and then late the other -_-
Ok that's different then. :p

Give it a bit more time and see if you can cope. If not, drop the one that's taking up most of your time.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
13 units is manageable in year 11, I suggest you hold on to them for now, you haven't even started yet, so just see how term 1 goes. If you're having trouble with the workload, then you might consider dropping a unit.
I agree that Physics and Chemistry barely overlap, except for maybe the option modules. I reckon it's a fine combination, quite enjoying both of the sciences myself. :)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Riviet said:
except for maybe the option modules
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that if you do Forensics, the second part of the option is a lot easier to understand for those who do Phys.

Although if you're taking up an entire (and not exactly easy) subject for one seventh of another ... don't.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that if you do Forensics, the second part of the option is a lot easier to understand for those who do Phys.

Although if you're taking up an entire (and not exactly easy) subject for one seventh of another ... don't.
hehe i did forensics --> lots of fun with all the theory, delving into its implications with criminal investigations hehehe.

yes, i must say, for those who do physics, adding chem is a good mix --> chemistry and physics crosses over when dealing with atoms, at a quantum level --> things like emission spectrometry, X-rays, nuclear radiation...are physics + chem blended together.

Dreamerish*~ said:
OMGsh your tutoring is so cheap. It makes me feel like I'm ripping people off.
hehe ive changed it now, to make it a bit more...'reasonable', the best way of saying it.

drynxz said:

i did 13 units for my prelim as well, and i managed quite well.

once u get into the HSC and u really want to do EXT 2 maths, then i STRONGLY advise you to drop a subject. personally, prolly agriculture (unless you are, like, the BEST in it)

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:
i did 13 units for my prelim as well, and i managed quite well.

once u get into the HSC and u really want to do EXT 2 maths, then i STRONGLY advise you to drop a subject.
That's exactly what I did, I did everything that I'm currently doing now except for MX2. I dropped 2 units of religion which 1 unit was compulsory in year 11 and picked up a unit of maths, bringing my total down to 12 units.

tennille

HSC
Preliminary chemistry isn't that great, but I absolutely loved it during the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)