How is AHIS140 Myth in the Ancient World? (1 Viewer)

gapathetic

HSC
Hi, has anyone done AHIS140 Myth in the Ancient World before? How was the lectures, tutorials, workload & assignments like? Im doing this for my people unit in second semester.

X

xeuyrawp

The assessments are very easy.

The lectures and tutorials vary depending on the topic and speaker.

Pro-tip: If you dislike your tutor, change classes. Hints that your tutor may be shit include things like them saying 'Most of you will fail the first assessment', etc.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The assessments are very easy.

The lectures and tutorials vary depending on the topic and speaker.

Pro-tip: If you dislike your tutor, change classes. Hints that your tutor may be shit include things like them saying 'Most of you will fail the first assessment', etc.
Haha, very subtle there...

IMO it's a very easy, very interesting unit. Of all the 100lvl AHIS units it probably requires the least effort.

gapathetic

HSC
Lol, thanks mate.

Kralex

HSC
I'M DOING THIS UNIT!! :D:D:D

It actually sounded pretty great. Ancient history is great and then they add myths into it and you get a 100x multiplier effect.

gapathetic

HSC
What were the assessments like? A short quiz on a specific topic every tutorial? Someone had that for an equivalent subject at usyd.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
As far as i can remember it was 2 1000 word tute papers based on the readings and a 2000 word essay. To get your 10% attendance you have to do readings every week and be prepared to discuss them, my tutor kicked people out of the class if they hadn't done the readings.

The exam is 4 essays with a choice of questions pre-circulated so it's easy as pie, just a shitload of writing.

rebeccalbanks

HSC
They must've changed the format for it. I did it last semester and it was 3 tutorial papers and the major essay. No exam. It's still incredibly easy to do well in - especially if you choose the right tutor.

gapathetic

HSC
They must've changed the format for it. I did it last semester and it was 3 tutorial papers and the major essay. No exam. It's still incredibly easy to do well in - especially if you choose the right tutor.
Thats nice to know, thanks! Just wondering, what did you have to do for tutorial papers? Also were theres lots of readings? And what textbook did you use?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If the tute paper formats are still the same as when i did it, there's a set of 3-5 questions on each weekly reading which you answer in the form of 1000 word paper. You can choose to do them whenever you want though they recommend you do at least one before the major essay.

There's quite a bit of reading but that's pretty standard with any history subject you'll find. When i did it we used Harris and Platzner 'Classical Mythology', which was absolute rubbish. Pretty sure they changed it since then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)