how important is the mktg101 textbook? (1 Viewer)

havy

HSC
Hey guys, I'm very confused after going to the 1st mktg101 lecture. The lecturer in charge said "you can pass the unit without book if you are really smart", but at the same time she mentioned that the book material is examinable as well.

The book i'm referring to is "core concepts and applications". that "marketing fundamentals" book is too old and may not be relevant to the current situation.

There're alot of ppl saying that the book is not that useful, now I'd just like to heard some more opinions (especially the ppl who hav done in last yr, with the same textbook).

thx in advance.

HSC
N/A
Copies of the mktg101 textbook are normally avaliable in the Reserve section of the library, so if you go there and flick through it/memorise it, then assumably that's all you'd need from it?

I doubt the course itself has changed recently, though.

When I did it, it was EXTREMELY definitions-based. The textbook has excellent definition descriptions in-text, as well as summaries on the side. The lecture slides are usually summaries of some/most of these summaries (not all of them though) and hence why it'd be somewhat possible to live without the textbook.

Unfortunately though, on more than a few occasions the lecture definitions are too general to understand well enough for the assessments, so that's where the textbook comes in handy (because it goes into more detail). I can see people passing without the textbook though... but if you do use it as a kind of 'backup' to make sure you actually understand the definitions (or, unless you're a HUGELY profilic note-taker and ilecture-listener) you could easily aim for a C or D :)

havy

HSC
thx alot glitterfairy! but it sounds like i'll need the book if i want to get a D...

mserica

HSC
You need the book to Pass, as the notes aren't enough as an example with the mid term quiz majority of the questions are straight out of the text!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)