• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How important is it to read the book? (1 Viewer)

constexpr

HSC
How important is it to actually read the book prescribed in class? I'm doing The Crucible and I find it extremely uninteresting to the point where the second I open the book, I feel like collapsing. I plan on watching the movie, going through a few act summaries and then everyone's happy.

Am I fucked? If so, how fucked?

Cheers

idkkdi

HSC
How important is it to actually read the book prescribed in class? I'm doing The Crucible and I find it extremely uninteresting to the point where the second I open the book, I feel like collapsing. I plan on watching the movie, going through a few act summaries and then everyone's happy.

Cheers
not very, but generally u want to read it so u dont bomb out on an extract q which u dont recognise

d1zzyohs

HSC
ehhh depends how good you are at essay writing.
it should really be called 'essay studies', because they don't really gaf about your actual evidence but rather your ability to coherently write in a professional, essay format.
I never read the crucible through, I never read the tempest, or T.S Eliot's poetry, nor any of the Module C (I did read Hag-seed; it's terrible), and came first (93/100) in trials.
your mileage may vary. read the books, fight through the boredom. or just sparknotes it?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC

Cheers
I did the crucible in year 10 and it was part of a wide reading component for an exam. As someone who likes reading, I did not feel compelled to read it at all and only skim-read it a day before the exam cos we were allowed to bring a sheet of quotes into the exam and I felt like needed some context. i got the basic gist of what happened from the crucible and then just read sparknotes for the rest of my evening studying

i ended up getting full marks for that component in my exam. if i could do it, so could you

but since this is a y12 text i think (i'm not doing the crucible rn) i would suggest watching the movie while having the book open and reading with it as the characters spoke the words, it makes me more engaged with the plot and i actually knew what was going on (it worked wonders for shakespeare for me). for books i really don't want to read (like my prescribed shakespeare text rn) i just read it on the bus/train home

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)