• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How harsh are HSC Economics markers? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Like for chem they're super picky, but how about eco?

How difficult would it be to get 90 raw in the hsc economics paper?
And what mark is considered good in the essay sections?

Thanks

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
89/90 raw is about 93 aligned so it isn't 'that' hard relatively speaking.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Yeah pretty much hoping for 93 but dunno how hard it'll be.
You serious when you say 90 raw is easy>?

Smooth Operator

HSC
I hear the markers are pretty fussy, especially when it comes to short answers. E.g. Question directive is 'explain' (4 marks), you have to add a little bit for depth in to it than just explaining for the full 4 marks. Or they ask you to outline something, you should describe it. This is just from what I've been told.

dunjaaa

HSC
My teacher told me to overkill each short answer question because of this reason. Obviously answering the question properly in term of the directive but going more in depth. Also, try and fill all the lines up because psychologically it gives them a sense of completion and could be the difference between receiving 3 or a 4.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
89/90 raw is about 93 aligned so it isn't 'that' hard relatively speaking.
I did 4 or 5 hours study the day before and got band 4 :D

I made up stuff in the exam. I literally have no idea how I even passed lol.

So maybe marking is lenient on the lower end. I can imagine it being a lot tougher on the high end when you start hitting high Band 5's and stuff.

mreditor16

HSC
I did 4 or 5 hours study the day before and got band 4 :D

I made up stuff in the exam. I literally have no idea how I even passed lol.

So maybe marking is lenient on the lower end. I can imagine it being a lot tougher on the high end when you start hitting high Band 5's and stuff.

Some of my teachers have been HSC markers for economics, one was even head marker. and what anom says here is definitely true. :D

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
My teacher was a HSC marker for Economics and took a mark off of me for an extended response on environmental sustainability because I said PFC's instead of CFC's.

But I told him he was being a dick so he changed it and I got full marks.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC Economics marking is more lenient compared to let's say HSC Physics or Chemistry marking.

However, this is probably why HSC Economics GENERALLY (usually) ALIGNS worse than HSC Physics or Chemistry.

mreditor16

HSC
Really? But I was told by my eco teacher who's a HSC marker that you need to know how to use the right lingo in your SA and essay responses, which is akin to the sciences where having the correct terminology is vital.

So surely eco marking is just as harsh as HSC science.
don't have time to go into it, but RoT is right. besides, sciences are higher candidature --> more competitive --> more harsher marking required....

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
don't have time to go into it, but RoT is right. besides, sciences are higher candidature --> more competitive --> more harsher marking required....
yeah definitely, I;ve also found this to be true in like assessments and stuff. Thanks everyone for the input :)

emilios

HSC
Some of my work has been marked by teachers besides my own (some who have done HSC marking) and, in comparison to other subjects, it's surprisingly easy to get an A in extended response. If you just say everything that needs to be said + show a bit of flair in how you relate the concepts to recent events, you're pretty much strapped in for an A. Not like English at all. The Short answer marking is a little harsher however, though to less of a degree than say, Chemistry. They're still willing to give you 0 if you make a contradiction and exact terminology + very clear sequencing is required (e.g. A-->B-->C--->D, for stuff like macro policy). This irked me too, but avoid implying stuff in place of explicitly saying it. You might feel like you're talking down to the marker, but it honestly improves clarity (sometimes at the risk of sounding basic, but balance it out).

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
Usually the harder the marking, the better it aligns well. You should go a bit further with your responses since your markers might have a bad day, grumpy, teachers angry from school blah blah and obviously we know negative emotions results less precise and accurate marking so there's something to consider.

P.S. Screw the way science is marked, damn stingy lolol

mreditor16

HSC
Some of my work has been marked by teachers besides my own (some who have done HSC marking) and, in comparison to other subjects, it's surprisingly easy to get an A in extended response. If you just say everything that needs to be said + show a bit of flair in how you relate the concepts to recent events, you're pretty much strapped in for an A. Not like English at all. The Short answer marking is a little harsher however, though to less of a degree than say, Chemistry. They're still willing to give you 0 if you make a contradiction and exact terminology + very clear sequencing is required (e.g. A-->B-->C--->D, for stuff like macro policy). This irked me too, but avoid implying stuff in place of explicitly saying it. You might feel like you're talking down to the marker, but it honestly improves clarity (sometimes at the risk of sounding basic, but balance it out).
all right on the mark. especially the bolded part! :D

kevo7vo

HSC
Yeah pretty much hoping for 93 but dunno how hard it'll be.
You serious when you say 90 raw is easy>?
Tbh i find my eco teacher marks fairly easy, i mean very easy however he usually complains that the HSC eco markers mark easy. So im guessing that eco is marked fairly easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)