how hard is the maths in electrical engineering? (1 Viewer)

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
i'm curious because i've heard that it is quite hard and as a result the drop out rate is high even amongst good students, particularly at unsw (80%??)

i do OK in 4u maths.. how do you think i would find it?

thanks in advance

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
this is how hard you would find it [----------x--------]

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
the first year courses will be a shock cause they're pretty hard. after that it will be fine once u put the work in and get into the groove of things

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
Captin gay said:
the first year courses will be a shock cause they're pretty hard. after that it will be fine once u put the work in and get into the groove of things
ahk thanks. but im curious, how do u know if ur hsc is in 2010?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
poisonives said:
ahk thanks. but im curious, how do u know if ur hsc is in 2010?
You will find in this website that many of the people exist as "trolls". They have got all those false identities.

He is probably at university now, but just has that HSC year.

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
lyounamu said:
You will find in this website that many of the people exist as "trolls". They have got all those false identities.

He is probably at university now, but just has that HSC year.
lol thanks.

but aren't u only considered a troll if ur hateful/annoying? :S

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
3unitz said:
first year is ok, the physics courses' math content wont get harder than easy ext.2 mechanics and ext.1 SHM, although the physics concepts can get difficult. the maths courses go more in-depth with calculus (also covers complex numbers, ext.2 volumes and integration) and you'll start linear algebra which is entirely new - deals with matrices and vectors. the maths in the engineering courses themselves usually just involves memorising a key methodology. you'll do some boolean algebra (binary math), deal with some trig functions and complex numbers (for ac waves), and learn some processes for analysing circuits.

the math content is not so advanced but the concepts make things pretty hard. you also cover a lot of material and have to learn independently. i think you shouldnt find 1st year too difficult if you've done ext.2 - would definitely help if you also did physics. although 1st year isnt too hard, i can imagine things getting much more difficult in upcoming years, so you'll definitely have to work hard
so basically.. the maths will be manageable but the physics will be more difficult.. and years 2,3,4 will be suicidal, lol. well thanks for the advice! it was very helpful :)

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
Musk said:
1. 80% true for unsw, if you wanna stick it out go to uow or usyd

2. what topics are you good n shit at for 4 unit?

3. if you have a gf end it when it comes to uni bcoz u dont have the time for one - electrical is crazy shit
1. so is the drop out at unsw worse because of the teaching, or is the curriculum harder or what?

2. i'm fairly average at most, like no stand out topics but i like integration most, complex n mechanics is OK...

3. i am a girl...lol. is that a bad/good thing

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
poisonives said:
3. i am a girl...lol. is that a bad/good thing
Hope you like misogyny and sexism!

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
3unitz said:
ive heard something about more scholarship opportunities for women in engineering. its a good thing - engineering needs more females as its currently full of sausage. i sat in a few law lectures last semester and the amount/quality of females in comparison to engineering literally made me feel like i was dreaming.
hahahaa nice one... but yeah im going for scholarships so hopefully that's an advantage :)

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
theres a girl from australian idol in one of my elec courses ^_^

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
poisonives said:
but seriously, is that an issue now?
uh yes

seriously

sexism and homophobia is rife within the engineering faculty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)