• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How fast should I work through the Trial exam? (1 Viewer)

john1464

HSC
So, my usual method is to rush and finish the test as fast as I can so that I have more than half the time to check, however even with all this checking time I continue to make mistakes because I just find it hard to pick out errors and I don't really reread the question as well as I would the first time. So my question is should I take it at a slower pace (about 2-2.5 hours) and leave less time for checking and and try to get it right the first time. And I seem to be making most my mistakes mid way through the exam (questions 13-15).

photastic

HSC
I found that students who have the mindset of earning as many marks they can possibly earn do better than those who have the mindset of finishing the exam. You have 3 hours, which is plenty of time, so take your time, ensure you focus as much as possible for every mark, regardless of the difficulty of that question.

MrBeefJerky

HSC
As said above, the better approach would be to work at a steady pace and making sure you get the questions right the first time instead of racing through the paper. Often when working at a fast pace, you tend to make more mistakes and these errors can be harder to pick up later on because you develop a perception that your answer is correct so your working is checked less thoroughly. If your going to recheck your working, don't look at what you have done already but redo the question on scrap paper and then compare both of your solutions. Make sure you finish a bit early, although not too early so you can go back and review questions you had trouble with. Btw 3hrs is quite a bit of time in the exam :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)