How far ahead is everyone exactly? (1 Viewer)

cosmomatthews

HSC
So I was just wondering how far everyone is into their major work production?
On my first day back I spoke to some people who'd already made half a movie, and some who still couldn't even grasp what medium they wanted to use...

Mainly for my own satisfation/comfort at the fact that I am in the 'haven't even started' position, what position is everyone else in? Is there anyone who worked on it a lot in the holidays?

hellohelicopter

HSC
N/A
I haven't started either! :O We've been told, and I'm sure everybody knows this, that it's a long process that will take up the whole year. Continuous refining and revising of the major work will be required which is a very tedious and time-consuming process.

silentdreamer

HSC
i'm another person who hasn't started :/ i'm not too worried though, since i don't think anyone else at my school has really started either other than think of plot/ideas

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Our school hasn't even decided what teacher is taking the course yet...

Deep Blue

HSC
Well, I've been researching over the holidays and I'm writing 2000 words a day on my short story since we went back.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I started writing mine in January. Don't rush, just wade through ideas right now. Unless you have your eye set on what you want to do - then by all means, gogogogo start writing!

cosmomatthews

HSC
I started writing mine in January. Don't rush, just wade through ideas right now. Unless you have your eye set on what you want to do - then by all means, gogogogo start writing!
I'm actually having trouble with ideas a bit... I wanted to do either a suite of performance poetry or a series of speeches, both about sex trafficking. Maybe from different people within the industry's perspectives if I go for the poetry, or a more investigative/informational stance if I go the speeches way...

What do you think? What was your major work about? :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm actually having trouble with ideas a bit... I wanted to do either a suite of performance poetry or a series of speeches, both about sex trafficking. Maybe from different people within the industry's perspectives if I go for the poetry, or a more investigative/informational stance if I go the speeches way...

What do you think? What was your major work about? :)
Well, do what you want.

My major work turned out to be a post-modern modernist pastiche, in a comedic romantic fiction style.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't started but I just made the definite decision to take up EE2 only a little while ago.

I wish all the major works here wasn't down so I could read some majors to get inspired! I'm very much learning towards a creative short story as I think I'd enjoy that...but I also was considering a critical study.

Deep Blue

HSC
We had our first EX2 lesson today. It was good, we looked through a few past works done by students from our school and talked about ideas.
Also, if someone wanted to get really ahead in their drafting and ideas, they could do NaNoWriMo which starts very soon.

icedtrees

HSC
I'm going to do NaNo! Who's with me?

My progress on my ext2 piece is about four pages of logbook. In all honesty, you shouldn't be writing much until you've done a substantial amount of research. Your reflection piece and logbook should reflect on the research that you've done and stuff like that, and if your piece isn't set properly you might have to rewrite large chunks of it.

acemusic415

HSC
Don't worry guys, you have plenty of time. Don't procrastinate like I did. But this term should be when you formulate your ideas and you should use your summer holidays effectively and start writing. The best advice I ever received was to "just write" and see what comes out. You rather have something than nothing. So start researching! Best of luck.

silentdreamer

HSC
I'm going to do NaNo! Who's with me?
NaNo sounds like so much fun! But I don't think I can churn out 50 000 words in a month, especially with the work in all my other subjects :(
We haven't even started EX2 properly yet, our teachers were really busy with year 12, so we're starting on Monday.

Galladrim

HSC
I haven't started either! :O We've been told, and I'm sure everybody knows this, that it's a long process that will take up the whole year. Continuous refining and revising of the major work will be required which is a very tedious and time-consuming process.
+1

I started putting things together during the holidays, working out what to do essentially took me the entire term. Don't be particularly worried, the all nighters won't come for a while yet :p

If you are steady and focused, you won't even need one!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
nanowrimo?

I didn't do that because it forces you to write. I think writing should come naturally, and not "omg omg i have to write 3000 words today". In the end, you get something that's forced and I don't think that really helps you at all.

Max Barry, an Australian author, wrote a blog that echoes my views. You should find it and read it - it's pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)