How Easy Is It To Change Courses? (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
How easy is it to change courses once i've already started my degree? i.e. i go into UNE doing at B Education and after a few weeks i go "oh crap, this isn't what i want to do". how easy would it be for me to change to a b arts/science or any other degree? are there deadlines for this sort of thing?

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
There are deadlines to pull out of courses and not incur the HELP/HECS and Uni fees and a fail. However, no study you do is ever wasted.

If you complete a subject in one degree field, it can be used as a credit toward another degree if it is appropriate.

However, starting Uni is very confusing and that is why they have counsellors and people at Unis to help you make these decisions. You are never locked into a degree. Congrats on deciding to become a teacher. It is a very honourable profession and a very important one.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
There are deadlines, and you'll usually have to do the course for the remainder of the semester. Transferring is a fairly simple process, you simply go to the Student Centre (contrary to popular belief, they are better than Centrelink) and ask to apply to transfer. You'll be given a fairly simple form to fill out and you have to attach a letter requesting the transfer and submit it and they'll inform you of the decision with the new enrolments; if you apply in first semester, you'll have to wait to second to be able to transfer.

That said, you'd probably have a better chance of getting into (hypothetically) Arts/Science if you were doing Teaching/Science (I pretty damn sure it's possible) as opposed to a plain vanilla Teaching since you'll only be changing half your degree as opposed to the whole thing. For example, it's easier for me to go from Business/Economics to Business/Arts and major in Communication Studies than it is to go from my current course straight to Communication Studies itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)