How easy is it to achieve an average 75 WAM? (1 Viewer)

Seomate

HSC
I want to do an Internal Program Transfer after my first year in Engineering/Commerce, and for that I would need a total average of 75 WAM across all of my courses. With that being said, I was wondering how easy is it to achieve a total average of 75 WAM? My courses for Semester 1 is:
- PHYS1121
- MATH1131
- ENGG1000
- PSYC1001

jaydizzlegear

HSC
If you are planning to do an internal transfer to law, (i'm guessing) then you will need a wam higher than 75 to be safe, around 80 is preferable from what I've read.

In terms of getting a wam of 75, it's definitely possible putting in a moderate amount of hard work, nothing crazy but turning up to lectures and a reasonable amount of study every day should net you that wam after first year. Getting a wam of 80 is quite a jump from 75, and to get that you will want to ensure you are studying a lot, making up to date notes and just generally trying your hardest. If you are naturally gifted and put in this work you could definitely achieve an 80 (or above) wam.

Good luck mate

a19901213

HSC
Getting 75 wam in first year uni is not easy but manageable. However it would be quite challenging if you want 75 wam for your degree.

It's not hard getting 75 wam for just one course, especially year 1 courses. but the problem is to get 75 wam consistently throughout 3 years of study. It might sound easy but it's not.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You can't simply label these things as "easy" or "hard". Neither can you cross compare between completely different programs.

You can obtain a rough idea of the difference in the marking allocations between very similar programs at the same or different unis, but obtaining an "easy" or "hard" label is purely dependent on the individual.

Try your best; the marks will do the rest. Good Luck!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I found PHYS1121 quite hard, but that was probably because I was a bit shocked how there was so much more maths in University level physics than in HSC physics, however, a hard course can motivate you to study hard in it (from memory, I think I got 82 in it even though it was a subject that I thought I would fail-seriously). PSYC1001 would be a great chance to elevate your WAM, because you get bonus course credits through compulsory experiment participation and the final exam is all multiple-choice, if you are good at rote-learning content, you will be able to secure a substantial amount of marks for first year psychology courses, but obviously, if you find personal connection to the content, you will come to enjoy the courses even more. 75 WAM is achievable, but it really depends on how hard you work, I heard ENGG1000 is the kind of subject where your marks is to a certain extent dependent on the team you find yourself in-perhaps a more cooperative team leads to greater motivation to work towards the final goal. MATH1131 is a subject requiring consistent practice and revision-if you consistently finish your homework-or at the very least make a decent attempt, you should get fine marks for it:). Best wishes for first year uni-the most difficult thing will be to find study methods that will suit you. For psychology, I highly recommend you to familiarise yourself with the Harvard referencing system for when you write up your research report -it is so tedious and I personally found the referencing much more difficult than the AGLC referencing we use in law. Best wishes:)

such_such

HSC
Most of my friends achieved 75+ wam in first year engineering. It's not difficult, you just need to study smart. I.e. if you don't learn anything in lectures then just learn it by yourself. As for your subjects, just do the work every week, don't fall behind and you'll be fine. And if you were good at maths at high school you can get 80+ in MATH1131. Not the case for physics tho, but just do past papers for this subject and you'll be fine. ENGG1000 - hit or miss tbh. Depends on your group. I know you're doing electrical so you'll be tempted to choose an electrical project BUT DON'T. Choose a civil project (bridge) which is less effort and better marks imo.

Remember to be eligible for an internal program transfer you need to do at least 36 UOC (6 courses) so you need to maintain a DN wam in both first and second semester.

And if you're completely ditching engineering, you really don't have to suffer and go through physics.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Most of my friends achieved 75+ wam in first year engineering. It's not difficult, you just need to study smart. I.e. if you don't learn anything in lectures then just learn it by yourself. As for your subjects, just do the work every week, don't fall behind and you'll be fine. And if you were good at maths at high school you can get 80+ in MATH1131. Not the case for physics tho, but just do past papers for this subject and you'll be fine. ENGG1000 - hit or miss tbh. Depends on your group. I know you're doing electrical so you'll be tempted to choose an electrical project BUT DON'T. Choose a civil project (bridge) which is less effort and better marks imo.

Remember to be eligible for an internal program transfer you need to do at least 36 UOC (6 courses) so you need to maintain a DN wam in both first and second semester.

And if you're completely ditching engineering, you really don't have to suffer and go through physics.
You can literally rekt physics if you can be bothered, my friend got a HD in phys, he was not amazingly good at it, like back in high school and such

Seomate

HSC
I know, but I'm worried that if I don't do physics in first year and I end up not being able to do an Internal Program Transfer, then I'd be screwed for second year engineering :( because I heard that if you don't do physics in Semester 1 then it's gonna mess you up for second year Engineering.

Seomate

HSC
If you are planning to do an internal transfer to law, (i'm guessing) then you will need a wam higher than 75 to be safe, around 80 is preferable from what I've read.
If I got a WAM of exactly 75, would they still allow me to do an Internal Program Transfer to Law (as an example)? In other words, am I guaranteed an Internal Program Transfer with 75 WAM? Is it possible they reject my IPT application?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If I got a WAM of exactly 75, would they still allow me to do an Internal Program Transfer to Law (as an example)? In other words, am I guaranteed an Internal Program Transfer with 75 WAM? Is it possible they reject my IPT application?
UNSW IPT for Law is based on ''supply & demand'' (cut-off changes every year):
https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt-law

UNSW Law will guarantee a minimum of 100 places for applicants to enrol in a Law dual degree via Internal Program Transfer (IPT). UNSW students who

have completed a minimum of 48 units of credit (UOC) at UNSW and
have not failed any course
will be eligible to apply for an internal program transfer to a Law dual degree program. For entry into Law in 2015, applicants will be assessed solely on their UNSW studies. Excellent students from all UNSW Faculties are encouraged to apply.
Cut-off WAM for law seems to be around 78-80 minimum on average.

Sure, you can ''apply'' anyways but you'll probably miss out with 75 WAM if you're gunning for a law IPT.

[HR][/HR]

Meanwhile, UNSW IPT for other faculties is based on a ''fixed'' cut-off.

https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt-business
70 or 75 WAM for Business School programs.

https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt-engineering
65 WAM for most Engineering programs.

Last edited:

such_such

HSC
Btw OP what are you planning to transfer to? Was it Psychology or Law or something else?

BlugyBlug

HSC
Pick the civil bridge or mechanical project in ENGG1000 for the easiest marks. The other projects are interesting, too, but seeing as 75WAM is your priority go with the easy projects. Just don't pick the electrical one, very few people get over credit in that project.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Pick the civil bridge or mechanical project in ENGG1000 for the easiest marks. The other projects are interesting, too, but seeing as 75WAM is your priority go with the easy projects. Just don't pick the electrical one, very few people get over credit in that project.
the mechanical one is pretty easy too

Seomate

HSC
Btw OP what are you planning to transfer to? Was it Psychology or Law or something else?
Well I was initially planning to transfer to Psychology, but I recently developed an interest in Law as well! So I guess I would be happy if I were to transfer into one or the other :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW IPT for Law is based on ''supply & demand'' (cut-off changes every year):
https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt-law

Cut-off WAM for law seems to be around 78-80 minimum on average.

Sure, you can ''apply'' anyways but you'll probably miss out with 75 WAM if you're gunning for a law IPT.

[HR][/HR]

Meanwhile, UNSW IPT for other faculties is based on a ''fixed'' cut-off.

https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt-business
70 or 75 WAM for Business School programs.

https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt-engineering
65 WAM for most Engineering programs.
Well I was initially planning to transfer to Psychology, but I recently developed an interest in Law as well! So I guess I would be happy if I were to transfer into one or the other :)
For Law:

- Aim for 80 WAM.

For Psych:

- It's a fixed WAM of 75.

Also:
Must also have minimum WAM of 75 in PSYC courses & completed a minimum of 12 UOC in PSYC courses
https://student.unsw.edu.au/ipt-science

NOTE: You can apply for 2 courses with IPT so yeah :)

stgeorge2

HSC
Depends on your interest, don't pick PHYS1121 if you are not very interested. That isn't a WAM booster course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)