How does your teacher teach you? (1 Viewer)

fusion

There has been a lot of concern amongst our Business Studies teacher's method of teaching. We have just begun our fourth topic, every lesson we are just given summarised notes dones by the teacher and all we have to do is fill in the words followed by a few questions from a text book. After we have filled in the words, the teacher briefly dedicates a whole lesson to briefly discuss about the things we learnt.

I dont think this is adequate, but then again I study from notes on boredofstudies -- I don't know think her style of teaching is very good, she rushes through most of the things and it is evident as she always says "no time for mucking around" when I try to make the lessons a little fun by making jokes about some of the things we learnt. It's her first year of teaching the HSC course though, only at our expense :(

How does your class carry on in teaching the syllabus?

Phallic

I have the same problem. Our techer sucks for lack of a better word. She doesnt even turn up to class anymore thats how much she hates our class. dont get me started on her teaching style.. she rambles and rambles about everything and anything. If you mention a topic she will discuss it for a good 10 minutes before getting back on track, this happens about 2-4 times a lesson.

One day me and my friends got fed up and we decided to boycott our business studies class and went to the library to teach ourselves. I kid you not, about 4 of us were in there summarising the text book. I dont think this is sufficient for someone about to sit the HSC.

My teacher hardly turns up for class and we have been without a teacher for sbout 10 lessons this year, shes is absent from school more than the hardcore jiggers something is really wrong here, its either shes a sickly woman or she has had it with the teaching profession. Heard she comes to this site.
HOPE YOU READ THIS MISS! something needs to be done.
Luckily theres always the bridging course for uni

fringey

HSC
My teacher is a legend. He makes overheads and we copy them out. They r really good 2! While we copy it out he spends the whole lesson explaining th stuff with relevant examples etc.. a total legend 2 say the least!

SPX

Get this.
He's 10 minutes late, we pack up 10 minutes early. We talk..maybe (honestly)..once a month he dictates for us. The rest of the time we just talk and have like 10 dickheads in the class that distract this lasy teacher.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
but peepz...the thing abt Business Stud is dat

1. it is a load of bs..lol
2. there is so much content
3. hene you are not going to have time to go thru things in detail...flying thru it would b adequate...
4. a lot of it is all common sense......

in my exerpience you don't even need the teachers. Just grab two textbooks and summarise both of them with the sylabus in front of u....

btw i have asked 4 teachers who are all on the HSC advice line for BS....they concluded that the chapman is good for yr 11.....the yr 12 syks and codsi is better than the chapman......

So peepz!....english is da art of bsing....economcis is bsing with statz.....bs is bs with case studies....lol....

is a roflcopter
HSC
my business studies teacher is a champion
im saying this because i think he knows about this site
:D

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Newbie
my business studies teacher is a champion
im saying this because i think he knows about this site
:D
he does do alot of talking though. but at least its not useless crap i guess.

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
My business teacher was pretty good i think. He would write notes up on the board for us to copy then he would explain it, then we would do textbook exercises.

My ancient teacher was the worst... she would just photocopy chunks out of books, every lesson we were given a thick page of handouts, and all she did during the lessons was read from the handout... most boringest crap ever... and she was soo dumb, if sum1 asked her a q'n she either didnt know the answer or made it up

Gelapo

Hey how weird. (or maybe not) I once had a teacher 4 Bus. study in yr 11 who was exactly like that (only he was a he and had been teachin it for ages). Yeh, this teaching method is terrible! Its boring, uneffective and past its expiry date for us low attention span generation. Anyway, all I did was complain 4 the 1st couple of terms, didn't do much work and then realised there was no point in complainin if I wasn't gonna do anythin 'bout it. Try to get ur head around this teacher's crudbucket way of teachin and do anything U can to atleast learn sumthing, anything. I'm pretty much stuck in the same situation too (again) this yr in yr 12 only this time the teacher is so damn intimidating it scares me into doin' my work.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I agree with Cyph. You can have good teachers that give you good info, but you really gotta figure out your own way of getting all that info in, because that's all it really is. No creativity involved. imo, BS is rote learning and figuring out how to answer extended responses in the way the markers want you to.

That having been said, I had a really good teacher.

stepho

OK... Wow i honestly tohught my class was the only one with a business studies teacher problem....
Our class has signed petitions... Parents have called the school... Parents have written to the school concerned about the teaching or lack of teaching style my teacher has... she was away for 3 weeks where on occasions, only if we were lucky, a sub would show up.. those 3 weeks she was away conveniently happened to be the 3 weeks before our financial assessment!! our whole class failed the assessment.. and the head teacher thinks its the students not the teacher...
I have been taken from class on numerous occasions with the head teacher asking me what i think is wrong with the way she teaches and then he reports to her what i say... so then she hates me more!
I have had letters from the principal regarding the matter saying that its all my fault that this is happening...
She is having massive family problems and feels the need to tell us about it every lesson and she then runs out of time to teach the lesson so in turn she rushes through it...
She goes to photocopy stuff for 20 mins.. she USED to not anymore go for a fag during class!
I am failing savagley... and its not good...she has told us that she doesnt like teaching business studies..... So what hope is there!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
my business teacher is pretty much a legend...

hes old but really knows his stuff, and he could recite the HSC course backwards.

We start each topic with a 'topic outline' which is a few pages which tells us what the topic is going to be about, as well as a glossary of any important terms.

Then throught the allocated time, he gives us notes on the board which we copy down, makes us summarise a few things from the textbook, he gives us photocopies of case studies that we go through as a class, and every few weeks he lets us loose in the library/internet to find our own case studies...

he also explains what kind of question we might be asked in the HSC exam about whatever we are studying at the time... and he thinks of all kinds of nmonics to help us remember key points.

silbi

In my prelim. year i had a teacher..and i didnt notice then but business studies used to be heaps hard....and i never "GOT" anything... i was placed last in my class....

In yr12 we changed teachers...and in the first wk~ i learnt more than i had learnt the whole previous year..
i guess i like the way my current teacher teaches because its clear, and relates in back to things that revolve in our worlds.. plus his personality is good..

we work mainly from these booklets our teacher made
which consists of the syllabus-summaries-defn's and Q's on evry 2nd page..

I HATE TEXTBOOK TEACHERS... we boosted our classe's 60% average to abt 82% due to swapping teachers...=) im so glad that it was a change better late then never?~~

foxy

i was made for lovin u...
ours makes 'topic booklets', which is really chunks of notes photocopied from various textbooks bound together prettily...

then she READS as many pages as time permits, FOR us (i think she thinks we can't read ourselves...)

its doing more worse than good for us because we tune out anyway!

we hardly ever do any questions, all lesson we just LISTEN to her (or pretend to)

well at least she's getting reading practice for herself! :p

M-THIS

hey yeah, so everyone has shit teachers teaching business studies... right????

Well, i better tell you my procedure in my bus stydies class.

We go that fat text book by CHAPMAN, anyway each class we he will get some one to read out a few paragraphs, then after bout 30 mins we would get through a few pages! no one is listening!

than we have the rest of the period to write notes on what we have read! WOW, what a teacher!

I'm not too worried, Economic is WORST!!!!
HELP!

girlee281

wow, i always thought it was just my teacher! lol. The question was something like how does your teacher teach?

And my answer would be not at all. She's not in the class room for 98% of lessons, and when she is, its like she's not there anyway. For each topic, she just gives us sheets that have all the exercises we have to do on them. That's it.

And she's a HSC marker people. So watch out. Write long conclusions, and draw diagrams ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)