how does your teacher teach 4 unit? (1 Viewer)

bboyelement

HSC
well im kinda pissed off at my teacher because all he ever does is do the examples and thats what we do every lesson and the exercises are for homework... he gives us all the solution booklets to both the arnolds and fitzpatrick book and expect us to do all the work ... when i mean examples i mean examples from the fitzpatrick book only ... so the other day we did like 1 example (because they only had 1 for that section) and we were allowed to go just within 10 mins of the lesson. the bad thing is all my classmates have tutoring and i dont so yeh ... i kinda did everything by my self ... but i wish i went to a selective school ... they would much better teachers ...

rama_v

HSC
bboyelement said:
well im kinda pissed off at my teacher because all he ever does is do the examples and thats what we do every lesson and the exercises are for homework... he gives us all the solution booklets to both the arnolds and fitzpatrick book and expect us to do all the work ... when i mean examples i mean examples from the fitzpatrick book only ... so the other day we did like 1 example (because they only had 1 for that section) and we were allowed to go just within 10 mins of the lesson. the bad thing is all my classmates have tutoring and i dont so yeh ... i kinda did everything by my self ... but i wish i went to a selective school ... they would much better teachers ...
Don't complain too much about teachers, cause next year you will be expected to learn yourself at uni independently :p

rama_v

HSC
Iruka said:
In general, teachers at selective schools are no better than teachers in comprehensive schools - they just recruit people off the waiting list the same as any other public school. NSW is one of the few education systems in the world where you can get a job as a teacher in a selective school with no qualifications in Gifted and Talented Education. Hence the saying that the students are selected but the teachers are not.
How does one become a maths teacher? Do they just get any person with an education degree and a year of maths at uni to teach 4 unit?

sasquatch

HSC
rama_v said:
How does one become a maths teacher? Do they just get any person with an education degree and a year of maths at uni to teach 4 unit?
If you wanna become a maths teacher, you can either study a mathematics courses and after thats finished do a postgraduate diploma in education OR you can enrol in an enducation course and study mathematics. The advantage of doing maths course/diploma is that your mathematics degree will allow you to do other things than teaching, but an education degree with say a major in mathematics means that you can ONLY teach students.

bboyelement said:
our teacher is a really good, but our class doesnt let him teacher. most of our 4 unit class learns everything by themselves/with their tutors. im like you and have no tutor, but i still manage to be able to teach myself stuff. people are always saying "how can you learn off the book", etc. but yeah. maybe you should consider getting a tutor if your teacher is crappy, but if you cant afford it you should talk to your teacher and maybe ask him if he could like explain things rather than just copying up examples. also maybe you should consider buying terry lee's book if you dont have it and use the worked solutions to help you understand how to do the questions and then you can do the questions from arnold and fitzpatrick.

HSC
N/A
I did a BSc. DipEd. But I changed uni's to do the DipEd because they got rid of the 1-year DipEd and replaced it with a 2 year course which I didn't want to do. The other uni still had the 1-year DipEd, so they got me for that. I did the BSc at Sydney uni and then the DipEd at Newcastle uni. I prefered it that way and not a BEd. It gave me much more exposure to high level maths than a BEd. Once you get a DipEd the DET will be interested to interview you for jobs (although they often hold interviews before you have finished the DipEd). You can do casual teaching in a large number of schools - which is good for experience. You can also apply for jobs in private schools. They advertise in the Saturday Sydney Morning Herald. That's how I got my current job. I reckon it's pretty easy to get jobs as a maths teacher at the moment and probably will be for quite a few years in the near future.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Iruka said:
they teach you very little that is of any practical use.
The best thing in my DipEd was the practicum. But they don't fund practicums properly in uni's. They should put more into it.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
My teacher teaches Extension 2 by talking to the class and writing notes and examples on the board. We only go through the theory in class, and most of the time the exercises are for homework. Quite monotonous I must say but if you manage to stay awake and listen, you'll understand everything. I mean I never understood complex numbers and graphs until I actually started trying to listen to the boring lessons lol.....

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Our teacher teaches us by doing examples. He gives us a photocopy of his notes, in which we read through the worked examples and he explains them on the board if necessary.

Shady01

Currently: Destrying liver with celabatory "bevera
HSC
damm BB thats sounds like a hard teacher, mine is standard like the rest, notes, examples then exercies for homework. Except I feel a little pressure in class becuase I'm not as smart as the other two and I can't answer anything first go. I meen so far the start of mechains is the only topic Ive grasped stright off. The rest I've looked like I should be in gen Maths. But can't you stay in the lesson and work whilst he watchs? or somthin and goin ask for help?

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Yeah that sounds pretty bad. I dont go to a selective school but my teacher is good, when we start stuff he just writes up stuff on the board.
Then does a couple of examples, we work through one to make sure and we just do more problems during the 1.5 hour lesson. And if anything goes wrong then he just guides us through the next couple of steps.
And that way I find that I am able to do pretty much everything, bar the stuff I have my brain has fundamental errors with (Graphs....and Conical Shells)

Naylyn

HSC
bboyelement said:
Have you talked to your teacher about this yet?

The best thing you can do is too tell your teacher that you dont understand it and ask him to explain it to you. If you still have most of the lesson left to go ask him to teach you for the remainder of the lesson or ask for extra lessons out of class, if he refuses then look for another maths teacher that can help you. If he isnt willing to give you extra time out of class then he isnt much of a teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)