How Does Work Choices Affect ER Study (1 Viewer)

B35tY

HSC
Little bit confused about what i need to know for this upcoming trial in regard to ER.

Since this Work Choices stuff is still new i reckon it'll probably be the extended response (we use the Catholic Trial i think) so i'd like to be sure.

Do i need to know:

The Old System (under the Workplace Relations Act 1996)

AND

The New System (under Work Choices)?

Obviously i still need all the theory about rewards, strategies etc; that doesn't change.

Can anyone clarify?

ellejay145

HSC
We were told by our business teacher that as it is not technically in the sylabus, then we do not have to know it in any great detail, and also as it has not technically been passed as it is under review in the high court, do we still need to know it in detail ?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
B35tY said:
So can i forget the Workplace Relations Act?
Note that the Workplace relations Act 1996 continues to govern industrial relations.
Workchoices is merely a (significant) amendment of the WPA.

As for the current High Court case, the Workchoices bills have recieved royal accent and as such are the current laws. A judical challenge dosent prevent their operation, untill after the court rules that they are constitutionally invalid. (which is highly unlikely)

I suggest you just learn the changes.

B35tY

HSC
Thanks all. Trial is next Wednesday, so i'd better get cracking!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
What kind of Q might they ask you in an extended response or Q that will tell you to talk about specific IR policies? I haven't yet done any questions or finished revising on it, so can someone tell me please? thanks.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
It is highly unlikely they would ask you about specific policy (although no-one ever knows with these trial papers as some ask some interesting questions:p). It is more likely you will get asked a broader question in which you would mention the ammendment (WorkChoices) such as through discussion of legal influences on ER or the legal framework etc.

Therefore it is not necessary to be able to recite the whole legislation but to have a broad understanding of how it has impacted on ER and the changes. I'd advise referring to the syllabus to see where it fits in to ensure your understanding in these areas :)
heh thats what i was thinking, when i looked through some past questions last week. thanks :)

Blue View

HSC
Hey, I'm doing my trial next wednesday & I just put together some notes on the new legislation.

Hope this helps...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)