how does the timetable work? (1 Viewer)

mudcake42

HSC
I know that you get the personalised timetable on the first day of O week.

But do you pick your subjects and then the lecture and class ... or is that done automatically?

and when does all this happen?

KarmaKitten

HSC
You pick your subjects during enrolment. You dont pick your lecture or tutorial times, those are allocated, however you can swap things around sometimes. Though that isn't guaranteed.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
ahaha. you don't pick anything apart from your subjects. then your timetable is allocated. once that's done you can nominate things like "i want 2 days a week off and i would like them to be these days" or "i would like to have all afternoons off" and it'll swap things around, but half the time you end up with an even shitter timetable or you just can't do it because of the classes you have. and you can't go back to a timetable you originally had if you try to change it.

and btw the queues to get your timetable changed are ridiculously long - like hours long, and you usually get there and are told "we can't change it it's not allowed".

oh and good luck changing tutes. that like, never happens. main campus are dicks about that.

KarmaKitten

HSC
I have been able to change every single tutorial I have ever requested. There are a variety of excuses you can use. Just find another tute that isn't too completely full and its usually not a problem.

Smithereens

HSC
So we get our timetables once we select our units of study during O-week?

HSC
You get your timetable at the beginning of O-Week.

You pick your subjects on the day that you enrol, although you can change subjects online after enrolment.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
And is the timetable just for the first semester?

mudcake42

HSC
some mates have been saying that you chooce the time when you want to do the subjects, as in you nominate the time slots that you want. Is this right?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
mudcake42 said:
some mates have been saying that you chooce the time when you want to do the subjects, as in you nominate the time slots that you want. Is this right?
no. something similar to this happens at most unis, but not at sydney. our crappy ancient timetable software only allows you to block off times you don't want classes, and it will try to organise your timetable around that. you can block off either a single day, or two periods of up to five hours each. so i could tell it 'i don't want classes on tuesday' or 'i don't want classes between 9 and 11 monday or 12 and 4 wednesday'.

however, this doesn't guarantee that you won't have classes in the timeslots you block off. most subjects have tutorials/seminars/pracs available at various times, and the system will slot you into one that isn't in a blocked off period. but most subjects only have the one set of lectures which are at a fixed time, so you'll be allocated to them even if they're in a blocked off period. (however, some very popular subjects - particularly compulsory junior subjects in the commerce and science faculties - have repeat lectures, so the system will try to give you one in a period you haven't blocked off.)

Last edited:

lou071

HSC
N/A
i don't get.
don't you make your own timetable?

is there absolutely no way of changing
timetable if it doesn't suit to you?

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
the only things that change between people is the tutorial times, and yes you can change them pretty easily if you spend a bit of time on it. or you can change classes. the end! ^_^

lou071

HSC
N/A
so, you pick subjects on enrolment day (is it the end of Jan?)
and you get timetable during O-week
is this right?

can you change the timatable after you attended few lectures?

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
i think you can change it up to about the end of week 2, or something. onece you get beyond 1st year, coordinators don't really seem to care too much about which tutorials/labs you attend, as long as there's a spot free (thats been my experience with chem, bio, english)

no idea when you change your classes

don't stress. everyone here will be posting their timetables up when it begins so you'll know whats happening

lou071

HSC
N/A
kokodamonkey said:
What you haven't got your timetable yet?? your screwed!!!!
got timetable already?
don't you get timetable after enrolled?
main round offer is not released yet

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Ignore kokodamonkey, he is just having you on. Timetables won't be out until O-week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)