• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how does school rank help your rank? (1 Viewer)

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
My school is 300or something, but i was wondering how would that effect my atar?

saberbladexx

HSC
If you deserve a certain ATAR you'll get that certain ATAR.

School rank only shows the comparison between the capabilities of different school's cohort, not an individual. Remember that.

dd25

HSC
well, if u are at ranked up high, then the school rank doesn't affect u as much as if your ranked low do you understand?

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
yes i understand
okay, that's good news (i'm not doing too bad) :) thankyou to you both

ashllis92

HSC
Just a quick question... In Chem I came second by about 0.5 of a mark and I know the guy who beat me is massively bludging and I'm working my arse off and am fairly confident that I'll get a better raw exam mark than him. The next person after us is doing pretty shit and I think he'll do fairly crappy aswell because since trials he's done a total of 1hr study. Does this mean that since he beat me by a tiny bit he's going to get an exam mark he neither worked for nor deserves and I will be stuck with a piece of shit for an exam? The only reason I'm coming second is because I got sick and totally blew one assessment task worth 20%. I'm getting a bit paranoid because I need a good chem mark to get the ATAR I need...

dd25

HSC
Just a quick question... In Chem I came second by about 0.5 of a mark and I know the guy who beat me is massively bludging and I'm working my arse off and am fairly confident that I'll get a better raw exam mark than him. The next person after us is doing pretty shit and I think he'll do fairly crappy aswell because since trials he's done a total of 1hr study. Does this mean that since he beat me by a tiny bit he's going to get an exam mark he neither worked for nor deserves and I will be stuck with a piece of shit for an exam? The only reason I'm coming second is because I got sick and totally blew one assessment task worth 20%. I'm getting a bit paranoid because I need a good chem mark to get the ATAR I need...
nah u can get better den him if ur dat close coz some guy was 2nd internally for physics and ended up coming 1st in the state, so you will get better mark than him dont worry :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You will get your own exam mark.

He will get his own exam mark.

Your exam mark will become his moderated assessment mark.

As the gap between you two is so small you will get a moderated assessment mark just behind his (or even equal due to the aligning process which collapses the range of marks to really being between 50 and 100 rather than 0 - 100).

The rank of your school won't affect your ATAR. Schools are re-ranked annually based on the performance of the cohort so a school ranked 30 last year may drop to 100 this year, rise to 10 or stay about the same depending on how strong this year's cohort is compared to last year's. There is less movement between schools at the top than further down the list e.g. schools can drop over 300 places in a year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)