How does school affect UAI/HSC (1 Viewer)

Monstar

HSC
How does your school rank (ie how "good" your school is) affect your HSC?

Last edited:

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
the performance of ur cohort affects ur final hsc marks.....but usually it's only 1 mark...eg) i came first in physics in my year, but for my exam mark i got 96 and assesment mark i got 95...u'd expect i would hav gotten 96 for both wouldnt u? but the other students brought me down....lol

helper

HSC
N/A
The only place that your class cohort effects your HSC is the moderation of your assessment. If you are a clear first in your course's assessment, then this moderation process does not effect you.

However, your school can effect your results by the competition within the school and how much your teachers push you.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
funnybunny said:
the performance of ur cohort affects ur final hsc marks.....but usually it's only 1 mark...eg) i came first in physics in my year, but for my exam mark i got 96 and assesment mark i got 95...u'd expect i would hav gotten 96 for both wouldnt u? but the other students brought me down....lol
Did you come equal first? If you did, then you getting 95 makes sense coz if you come first with one other person, then they average the top two marks for the interal.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
So only your assessment marks are affected by your class's performance in the HSC exam. Right?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Correct. If all ace the exam, all assessment marks get dragged up, and vice versa. Your exam mark is your own.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
from what i heard the first person to become an all rounder in de la salle in like 2003 i think? only ended up with 97 which is really strange as there are people in the school who have got higher than that with like three band 6's. i think he must have did subjects that didn't scale very well.

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
politik said:
DLSA students are hopeless anyway. My cohort was the best performing though.
yeah i've realised that lol. i've only been at the school since the start of year11 though. well our year group generally has some really smart people and also hard workers but the rest of the group bring it down. i can tell that a majority of the group are not stupid, but just lazy ..

Last edited:

Optophobia

HSC
Monstar said:
How does your school rank (ie how "good" your school is) affect your HSC?

It is indicative of the schools potential. It has no direct on you AS SUCH.. But school which have done poorly for many years, will find it hard to have students who achieve in the highest percentiles.

It's easy to say that the school has no bearing (and that its only what YOU put into it, which I don't doubt some fool as said above me) .. but these people havent experienced school life in one of the lower end schools.

People in the lower end schools typically tend to be from the lower order of things, and are influenced by their environment. Eg, top school = learning is fun, bottom school = learning is for nerds etc.

Attitudes which permiate through out the school affect students, though this isn't to say that a student who is genuinly gifted cannot break from the pack.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
yeah i've realised that lol. i've only been at the school since the start of year11 though. well our year group generally has some really smart people and also hard workers but the rest of the group bring it down. i can tell that a majority of the group are not stupid, but just lazy ..
Same here... You are not in any chance going to the same school as me, right? Of course not, only one guy in my school likes Tekken and you can't be him...:rofl:

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
Optophobia said:
It is indicative of the schools potential. It has no direct on you AS SUCH.. But school which have done poorly for many years, will find it hard to have students who achieve in the highest percentiles.

It's easy to say that the school has no bearing (and that its only what YOU put into it, which I don't doubt some fool as said above me) .. but these people havent experienced school life in one of the lower end schools.

People in the lower end schools typically tend to be from the lower order of things, and are influenced by their environment. Eg, top school = learning is fun, bottom school = learning is for nerds etc.

Attitudes which permiate through out the school affect students, though this isn't to say that a student who is genuinly gifted cannot break from the pack.

that is totally biased and unfounded. where did you get this information from ? some schools , in fact most schools will have the majority of students trying to do well. i dont think anyone at this point will say things like 'OMG YOU IN YR12 AND U STUDYING ZOMG U NERD' . some schools just have students who cant do well , and thus the people who can do well get dragged down.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Old thread, I know.

I have a similar question. If your school is ranked low, and your cohort are doing crap, but you are way ahead of them, like clear first, how will your UAI and HSC marks be affected?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Old thread, I know.

I have a similar question. If your school is ranked low, and your cohort are doing crap, but you are way ahead of them, like clear first, how will your UAI and HSC marks be affected?
well doesnt matter if your school is bad in this case
if you're first in all subjects, then barring a major stuff up, only you have control on what you will get for your UAI

kloudsurfer

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Not much, it's pretty much dependant on your effort now.
Ive heard both that having crap people in your class drags your marks down, as well as if you go really well compared to the rest of your class your marks are higher than if your cohort were at the same level as you. So the people who say this dunno what they are talking about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)