How Does Rank Affect Uai (1 Viewer)

simonkey

HSC
just wondering, how does rank affect UAI. Is it better to be ranked out of a large group of people or small? Also, isn't it better to go to a crappier school with dummer ppl in it to acquire good ranks!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOYAAAAA!!!!!! good for meh...

simonkey

HSC
RANKED 1st = GOOD UAI?

hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if rank gives you a good UAI. Just say ur ranked 1st in advanced english, chem, phys, 3U math +4U math
DO U DO BLOODY GOOD THEN!!!!!!!
there are only 2 guys doing ext 2 math and only 10 doing ext 1.
Does the boardofstudies consider that it was easier to attain a higher rank and therefore not give u as good as an UAI....

dw, i don't expect you to answer this properly since i don't even know wot i am exactly asking

plz reply, most appreciated

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Re: RANKED 1st = GOOD UAI?

afaik if you're ranked first, you receive the highest HSC exam mark in your cohort for that particular course - this is very good for your UAI.. someone correct me if i'm wrong :)

bboyelement

HSC

but that is so crap as some people dont try that hard in their trials and also timetable is a big factor as well like today i just had english adv. paper 2 and physics on the same day (5 hours of exam) and the day before that was 4 unit maths ... but my timetable in the hsc is so spread out which will allow me time to study and maybe beat some ppl with a higher ranking than me ... this whole thing is so weird ...

klaw

HSC

simonkey said:
hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if rank gives you a good UAI. Just say ur ranked 1st in advanced english, chem, phys, 3U math +4U math
DO U DO BLOODY GOOD THEN!!!!!!!
there are only 2 guys doing ext 2 math and only 10 doing ext 1.
Does the boardofstudies consider that it was easier to attain a higher rank and therefore not give u as good as an UAI....

dw, i don't expect you to answer this properly since i don't even know wot i am exactly asking

plz reply, most appreciated
It depends on the people doing your subjects at your school. It is possible to be ranked 1st and still get a * as your UAI.

If you get 1st in a subject, you will get the top HSC mark from your school as your internal HSC mark. If everybody in your school does shit, that will be a shit mark. However, someone in your school does exceptionally well, then it becomes a good mark.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

yeah just because you're ranked first doesnt necessarily mean youll get a good uai, but it does give you an advantage over your fellow classmates
just depends on how well YOU do in your externals

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
your rank can determine whether you get a 90 uai or a *
cant really say whether its better to be ranked out of a large or small coz it can have varying effects
all i can say is that try and aim for the top rank and you should be fine, providing you do really well in your externals
and rankings of school shouldnt be a deterrent of how well you go in the hsc
just study and you should be fine

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
I'm coming first in most of my subjects, but I go to a shit school and have all the dumbarses in most of my classes (no offence to them).

I feel that I will be disadvantaged in the external exams :(
well if you are ranked first and expecting to get the highest exam mark, then your Exam mark will be your HSC Mark. So you can easily get a high mark for your subjects....

sinist4

HSC
this what i think, its better to be rank 1st no matter if you go to a large or small school, as this will allow you to obtain the highest "internal" assessment mark.
well if your not first, it depends how good/crap your scool is, for example if the highest mark is 100 and the lowest is 90 in your scool, then this wouldnt affect you that much... if that makes sense?

(correct me if im wrong :D)

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
not only internal rank but the rank of ur school/results attained by your form compared to other schools is what will affect what marks you'll get for that subject. in all seriousness, dont worry yourself too much about it all.... just try your very hardest to achieve reasonable marks, and if your going for first place then work for it regardless of school, or current rankings.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC

simonkey, didn't you already start a thread regarding this topic? perhaps they should be merged?

Number7

HSC

You get half YOUR HSC exam mark.

The other half is the corresponding "rank" mark you achieved at school from the HSC exams of your class sitting the course.

Therefore, by coming first, you ensure atleast half your mark for that subject is the highest possible it can be. You could get the highest HSC mark as well in the actual HSC exam and get just your HSC mark.

Geddit?

Number7

HSC
You get half YOUR HSC exam mark.

The other half is the corresponding "rank" mark you achieved at school from the HSC exams of your class sitting the course.

Therefore, by coming first, you ensure atleast half your mark for that subject is the highest possible it can be. You could get the highest HSC mark as well in the actual HSC exam and get just your HSC mark.

Geddit?

*EDIT* It is a myth that aggregate school performance affects your individual UAI. That would not be fair now would it?

The only reason people say that your school should perform well is so all the ranks, from last through to first have high HSC exams marks. For example, you come last in your course but everyone in your course recieves a HSC exam mark of 90, negating rankings and last place and first place will both recieve the same mark. This is why kids from selective schools, even ones ranked near-last, can still get great UAIs.

This simple explanation is irrespective of scaling, and the aligning of your internal marks with your external marks. That's another story. I'm open to corrections if I'm wrong, this is how a teacher explained it to me and it seems the most logical explanation. Why would the BOS allow someone else's performance to impact upon YOUR final marks/UAI etc? (rhetorical)

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC

azn_gangsta81 said:
yeah just because you're ranked first doesnt necessarily mean youll get a good uai, but it does give you an advantage over your fellow classmates
just depends on how well YOU do in your externals

i'm lolling at your name

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)