how does one write a conclusion for a modern essay!? (1 Viewer)

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
hey guys!
despite essays being on my strong points, im having a bit of difficulty in grasping the right way to go about writing a conclusion for modern essays. I mean i establish context and sign post my main arguments in the first paragraph then build up the essay chronologically , so i never know what to write for the conclusion! HELP!

rama_v

HSC
Um Usually you just summarise the main points of your argument. You can't (or are not suposed to) present new arguments or facts in teh conclusion. Usually a "concluding statement" along with a quote from a historian wil do quite well. e.g.
' Thus as can be seen, the Nazi's ascended into power by virtue of their opponents failures rather than their own successes - historian Ian Kershaw"...." ' etc.

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
thanx rama

thanx m8!
i do economics, modern, adv eng , his ext , english ext and modern and they all require different sorts of essay techniques and i get them mixed up sometimes!! i used to do legal and i've kinda just built up my modern essays chronologically like in a legal one then not do a conclusion which meant i just scraped 16/17 outta 20! which isnt bad but hey! i always got a comment on improving the conclusion so thanx heaps!:)

hello99999

HSC
When you say you build up your essay chronologically, do you mean that you write your essay according to a time sequence (eg. in 1914 x happened, then in 1915 y happened and in 1918 z happened etc)?

If so, this is probably why you are struggling with writing your conclusion. Your essay should be built with points and supporting evidence to assist your argument, rather than describing events chronologically. You won't be able to get a band 6 if you write in such a manner. If you write your essay in terms of points rather than events, it will make it much easier to write a conclusion.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I agree with hello....

If you have an essay structure where you have say, 4 main points that you discuss, then your conclusion basically consists of restating the four main points, tying them together and stating how that answers the essay question basically. It can be easy to lose track of your main arguments in a chronologically written essay.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
I agree, the events over time are evidence of your argument. Chronology could make your essay look as though your main point is that time passes. You might want to try a different structure and see if that makes it easier
also a conclusion is where you can in "assess" questions reinforce what you feel is the most crucial factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)